What are your AM2 temps?

mETRo

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering what are you temps on your AM2 machines. My 939 3200+ venice would idle about 29C and get up to about 46C when gaming.

This new AM2 3500+ Orleans runs around 20C in Windows and only 34C when gaming.

Is it just me or do these new chips run really cool?

I guess the SFF would up the temps a little bit. I dunno, maybe the extra cooling I added yesterday (another 120mm fan blowing across the vid card and expansion cards, and an 80mm fan blowing across the CPU heatsink directly into the 120mm exhaust) made that much of a difference.

mETRo said:
Just wondering what are you temps on your AM2 machines. My 939 3200+ venice would idle about 29C and get up to about 46C when gaming.

Is it just me or do these new chips run really cool?
well they are rated for 65w thermal output isntead of 110w ;)

mETRo said:

Where do you live that your cpu idles at only 20C in July ?

My stock am2 4k+ runs about 39c idle and low 40`s while serious pwnage. of course. msi live monitor could be wrong.

Stereophile said:
Where do you live that your cpu idles at only 20C in July ?

Chicago, but we always have the air on and the PC is in the basement. If I move it upstairs, it will still idle around 21 or 22C.

Matter of fact, I have it upstairs right now and it's idling away at 21C. Fan speed is 1776rpm.

My 7800GTX idles around 43C upstairs as well, but I have the giant 120mm blowing right at it (at about 1200rpm).

i dont believe that for a second... watercooling doesnt get that low... im in a basement, in ym air conditioned house, with my cooler, with fresh AS5, and a duct blowing cold air right on theheatsink, and its 33 idle...

The good news is that you don't have to believe it, but thanks anyway for your input. Also, your idea if cool may not be the same as mine, as this house remains around 70 degrees at all times (which means 60's in the basement, at the very most). It may be the mobo reporting temps wrong, but I'm just stating what I'm seeing in the BIOS and the Biostar temp reporting prog that came with the driver CD.

Nvidia nTune shows the same results +/- 1 or 2 degC.

Regardless of what you do or don't believe, I am being shown temps that are significantly lower than my previous CPU. Although I am using an aluminum case this time and have better airflow thanks to my PSU cabling being flex force and using 3x 120mm fans instead of 1. It was hard for me to believe it too, why do you think I made a thread asking about temps?

The air being exhausted out is noticeably cooler after the PC is running for a few minutes than it was with the last rig.

I don't know what to believe, really. But if these temps are correct, I'm not going to complain.

i wasnt trying to be rude :p just saying the odds of temps that low on air are rediculously low :p whats the ambient temp IN the case?

Ambient case temp is 24C. There is a lot of air moving in this case, pretty much all of it is being swept right into the 120mm exhaust also. I should mention the exhaust and one of the internal fans are Antec tri-cools, so they can move a lot of air.

must be one really cool cpu lol...stop accusing him, he started the thread to ask about the weird problem.

You can run the computer with a game for 1 hour and shut off and unplug everything. Touch your cpu and feel how hot it is, should be real hot and if not your cpu is awesome and i want one too lol.

I idle at 40 deg C and load at about 50 deg C with an ambient temperature of 26 deg C. That's at 2200mhz with 1.40 vcore (for some reason, that's stock Vcore on my 3200!)

Simple.
Bad readings. It happens all the time. Sometimes too high, sometimes too low. :)

It is rather impossible for the CPU to have a temp lower than the ambient temp when air cooled (pure physics).

26-28c idle, 32-35c load... water cooled. i think it's reporting a bit low, but not too much

spectrumbx said:
Simple.
Bad readings. It happens all the time. Sometimes too high, sometimes too low. :)

It is rather impossible for the CPU to have a temp lower than the ambient temp when air cooled (pure physics).

This is pretty much what I suspected, but I wanted to get an idea of everyone else's AM2 temps before I drew up a conclusion. I realize mobo's read temps wrong all the time (as strange as that is... they're supposed to be designed around these CPU's, right?), just didn't know if that was the case here.

I guess I'll get a temp probe and take some readings myself.

Thanks guys.

well, do some simple logic. 70f is 21c. if your cpu is idling below or at ambient, you know the sensor is wrong :D

Ambient: 24-25C

Temps on Speedfan
3800+ X2 @ 2ghz
Idle - 29-30C (it fluctuates a little)
Load - 46-47C (dual Prime95)
Gaming - 41-43C

3800+ X2 @ 2.4ghx
Idle - 29-30C
Load - 49-52C (dual Prime95)
Gaming - 42-44C

Temps on AIBooster
Same Idle
Load - 44C (dual Prime95) I assume this is off and that speedfan is more accurate

Temps on Coretemp
Idle - 30-31C
Load - 45C
Gaming - 40-42C

Granted I just applied AS5 a couple days again so it hasn't really settled, so I expect it may drop a degree or two.

Back