What do you guys think?

Rigas

Limp Gawd
Hey, I'm upgrading my pc pretty soon here and I was wondering what you guys thought of this. I already have hard drives, a video card, a sound card and a psu, so let me know what you think of these things. Also, if there are any thought you have for me, just let me know.

Asus Mobo
E6750
OCZ Ram

I think you should go with a different mobo, like a P35 Express based one, especially if you don't need SLI. What size monitor do you have?

Some good P35 boards would be the Gigabyte P35-DS3R, Asus P5K, Abit IP35, etc... what features on the motherboard do you need?

I'd go for the crucial ballistix DDR2-800 2GB kit instead of those reapers. The reapers use ProMos while the ballistix use Micron D9GMH's. My ballistix helped my E6750 reach 3.9Ghz! :D

Please list the parts you already have for this build, in detail. A few more questions...

What is your budget, and what's included in that budget (tax/shipping/monitor/etc)?
What will you be doing with this system?
If gaming, what else besides gaming and browsing the web?
Do you plan on overclocking?
If not, why not? lol

What made you choose the parts you listed (P5N-E SLI, E6750, OCZ Ram)???

Ok, I have 410gigs of hard drive space, a 7800gt and an Antec 500watt psu. My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050 and I intend to keep it at that. I really would like to keep it around $420, near what I have now. I will be gaming (casually) and would like to not have major configs for the games to just barely work. I do some video editing and photoshop stuff, aswell as some 3d modeling but nothing too intensive. I had not planned on overclocking because my cooling system is poor, (my case is made by aspire so...).
I chose that mobo because I trust the name Asus, like the ability to do SLI if I can find another 7800 and want the 680i chipset. I picked the 6750 because it is clocked higher than the 6600 and costs less. I picked that ram because (dont make fun of me) it looked cool and i had seen the name in MaxPC.

Ok, I have 410gigs of hard drive space, a 7800gt and an Antec 500watt psu. My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050 and I intend to keep it at that. I really would like to keep it around $420, near what I have now. I will be gaming (casually) and would like to not have major configs for the games to just barely work. I do some video editing and photoshop stuff, aswell as some 3d modeling but nothing too intensive. I had not planned on overclocking because my cooling system is poor, (my case is made by aspire so...).
I chose that mobo because I trust the name Asus, like the ability to do SLI if I can find another 7800 and want the 680i chipset. I picked the 6750 because it is clocked higher than the 6600 and costs less. I picked that ram because (dont make fun of me) it looked cool and i had seen the name in MaxPC.

IDE or SATA HDDs, and how many of each?
Which model Antec 500W?
How old is the Antec 500W?

If you find a used 7800GT for around $150, just sell yours for that amount and pickup an 8800GTS instead for $300. The single 8800GTS will outperform two 7800GT's in SLI.

You don't need SLI for an LCD that size... its not worth it as an upgrade path either. So, go with a P35 Express board instead, since you don't plan on upgrading the monitor any time soon.

Budget of around $420? So I guess a Q6600 is out of your range... anyhow, I'd go with this for your CPU/Mobo/RAM:

$195 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz
$89 - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ($20 MIR)
$70 - G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
$35 - Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja Plus Rev.B 120mm CPU HSF
=============
$394 + tax and shipping - $20MIR

The Ninja works well in low airflow cases. The DDR2-800 RAM will allow for a nice OC to 3.2Ghz (8x400Mhz), at least. The motherboard is a great budget board that can OC nicely.

I have taken what you said into account and I did some research and I think I have my next build.

Case
Asus P5K
E4400
Crucial Ram

I want a new case for cooling reasons, so I downgraded some things to accommodate the new item. I chose the 4400 because I have heard of people taking them up to 3.5, and I have a personal account of a guy taking it up to 3.0 on stock cooling with the Asus that I chose.

Edit: Will a board that does not say it works with 800FSB work with a CPU that is running at 800?

I have taken what you said into account and I did some research and I think I have my next build.

Case
Asus P5K
E4400
Crucial Ram

I want a new case for cooling reasons, so I downgraded some things to accommodate the new item. I chose the 4400 because I have heard of people taking them up to 3.5, and I have a personal account of a guy taking it up to 3.0 on stock cooling with the Asus that I chose.

Any P35 board will take it to 3.5Ghz, as long as the chip can handle it. Heck, even a P6N SLI-FI will take it to 3.5Ghz if the chip can reach that high. You're not limited by the motherboard when OC'ing an E4400. You're limited by the E4400 itself.

If you don't need firewire, don't waste your money on the P5K. If you want RAID, go with the GA-P35-DS3R. If you don't want raid nor firewire, look at the original board I suggested: Abit IP35-E. Many people have been reaching 500Mhz FSB SDR on it, so it OC's like crazy. If you need legacy ports, check out the GA-P35-DS3L instead. Asus is overpriced, imo, and for no good reason.

I don't think you can go wrong with any Crucial kit, but I'd go for the Ballistix because they're cheaper after rebate, lol. Crucial is popular because they have the best overclockable chips (they're owned by Micron). You don't need highly OC'able ram with an E4400, though:

Formulas for Intel platform @ 1:1 settings: (base FSB speed is SDR, or single data rate)
(CPU Multiplier) x [Base FSB speed] = CPU Clock speed
2 x [Base FSB speed] = RAM speed (DDR: double data rate)
4 x [Base FSB speed] = Effective FSB speed (QDR: quad data rate)

On Intel platforms, running the RAM higher than a 1:1 ratio with the CPU is useless. All you need is a 1:1 config. Here's some possible clock speeds (as always with OC'ing, YMMV):

E4400: 10 × 200 = 2.0Ghz, DDR2-400 << STOCK speeds
E4400: 10 × 266 = 2.6Ghz, DDR2-533 << Easy OC
E4400: 10 × 333 = 3.3Ghz, DDR2-667 << Great OC
E4400: 9 × 400 = 3.6Ghz, DDR2-800 << Good luck!

Nice case.

With the Ballistix, E6750, P35 board, and a Tuniq Tower, you can reach 3.8Ghz, like me. ;)

I'm fine getting that abit, but why do you think it will work better?

I'm fine getting that abit, but why do you think it will work better?

Not better, it will perform the same when OC'ing... for less money. If you'd rather have the P5K because you like Asus, then go for it. I'm just letting you know that most enthusiast-brand P35 boards can OC similarly. So unless you're going for the highest OC possible with an extreme edition chip, choose a board for other features aside from its OC'ing potential.

Back