What do you think of this customized ASUS K42JR-A1?

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
I currently have an Asus N81VP that I am looking to replace. First, I don't really want anything larger than a 14" screen. The K42JR has the exact same screen specs that I am currently using and I am happy with. What I am really looking for is upgrading the CPU with an i7, getting more RAM than I currently have, and a better keyboard. I would love to try a Clevo, but I haven't been able to find anything that meets my specs. Here is what I spec'd out.

ASUS K42JR-A1
- 14.1" WXGA HD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy LED Screen (1366x768)
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee
- Intel® Core™ i7-620M, 2.66-3.33GHz, (4MB L3 cache)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR3
- 6GB (2 SODIMM) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (1x4GB, 1x2GB)
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti 8X DVDRW Drive w/ Software
- 80GB Intel G2 X25-M Solid State Drive (SSD Serial-ATA II)
- Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
- Intel® Advanced-N 6200 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Integrated Digital Video Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (6-Cell)
- One Additional ASUS 90W AC Adapter
- 2 Year ASUS GLOBAL Warranty, 24/7 Support, 1 Year Accidental Coverage & 2-Way Pre-Paid Air Shipping for Repairs (N.A. Accidental Requires Registration w/ ASUS)

What do you think?

$1,810.00, as specified. Yikes is all I can say but if you've got the change, have at it.

If you're going to be selling your N81Vp, please send me a PM, with all of the details, as I might be interested in buying it.

Keith

It will be a little cheaper. I actually already have the Intel SSD in my N81Vp. I would get the new laptop with a 500GB 7,200rpm and then put it in the N81Vp before selling.

Most places I look say this laptop isn't available. I'll have to call http://www.xoticpc.com on Monday to see if they really have it.

Well, I ordered the laptop today. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship out. I hate waiting.

I really wanted to go with a Clevo but they didn't have any 14" screens with an i7 processor.

Yup. I was on a 14" Acer before and damn how glad I was when I went with a 15.4"-15.6" Clevo laptop, I considered it to be the perfect size for me nowadays.

Check out this shit. Don't ever waste your money at Xotic PC. I mean, they had the laptop out of the box to customize it, so obviously they know this is not just a US model. But yet they have no problem selling it without letting anyone know that it is a US-APAC model. Besides, it didn't even work right after booting it up. Mouse doesn't move smoothly across the screen. It appears to jump. It froze when accessing the task manager. Froze again when accessing the event logs. Saw that there are iastor errors going back to when they first started working on the computer.

The serial number can't be registered on Asus's website. At least not under the US section. I called Asus just to verify, and the laptop should ONLY have US keys on it. Unbelievable!

laptop.jpg

damn, exotic really f*ked this up.
i ordered mine from powernotebooks.
should be ereceiving it by monday.
i'll post a pic when i receive it.
only the wifi card was customized on mine.

still, damn xoticpc really effed up.
you should return it to them, they have 15 day return policy.

I'm sorry for that. What is your plan now? Will you be buying another laptop?

Probably. I am looking at two different Sager's. The NP2180 and the NP8690. The NP2180 has good specs for a good price, but it is built by Compal which makes me think of Dell. Plus it is fairly ugly and I really hate the Fn key being the left most key.

The NP8690 is a Clevo and is impressive in every way except for the price and weight.

So the question is, do I spend the extra $440 for the NP8690? Someone help me decide on this. I really need you to sell me on it.

Should I?

Sager NP8690
- Display: 15.6" Full HD LED Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)[+$60.00]
- Video & Graphics Card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 5870 Graphics with 1GB GDDR5 Memory
- CPU Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Processor ( 45nm, 8MB L3 Cache, 1.73GHz )[+$190.00]
- Thermal Compound: IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU[+$40.00]
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition
- Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 1 X 4GB + 1 X 2GB[+$145.00]
- Primary Hard Disk Drive: 320GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
- Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
- Wireless Network Card: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth V2.1 Module
- Primary Battery: Smart Li-Polymer Battery Pack
- Integrated Security Device: Fingerprint Reader
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
- Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
- Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag

Nice Kaps, I'm not sure the cpu upgrade would be worth it. but other then that nice!

Nice Kaps, I'm not sure the cpu upgrade would be worth it. but other then that nice!

Actually, I wanted something more like the asus I first posted about. 14" and not too heavy. This sager is already bigger than I wanted and I know that asus aint light. Although I like the idea of two hard drives.

Didn't you originally write something about an Asus laptop? I could of swore that is what I read on my BB when replying. :) Anything, the CPU upgrade is definitely expensive, but it is a 6MB cache verse a 8MB cache. Right now I have the T9550 which is dual core, 2.66GHz, 6MB cache. This should be a nice little upgrade. :p

By the way, I ended up ordering it from http://www.sagernotebook.com. I hope my experience with them is much better than Xotic PC. I understand mistakes happen and sometimes hardware is defective, but they should have at least offered to refund my shipping and provide a shipping label to return it. They didn't offer anything, and if I wanted to get a different laptop quickly, they wanted to charge me an additional $49 rush fee. Come on guys, you screwed up. You could have kept a customer by taking care of me. And to think, I was considering advertising their laptops on my website.

I just bought my son a laptop from xoticpc.com Not the best service I must say. Got the ASUS 52JR-A1. Nice all around pc. Would have liked to upgrade to the i5 540 from the standard 430, but OMG...$269 (I think it was). What made me pissed was in one of their other laptops. (Sager?) you could do the same cpu upgrade for under $100. Why not with the ASUS? Anyway, the tracking # was never given to me....the email alerts they claimed they would send never came. This was supposed to be a birthday present and before I ordered, I was on live chat asking about shipping times. The tech told me if it was a stock pc...one that was NOT being customized in any way would ship right away. THAT DAY or the NEXT. I went ahead and ordered it..thinking it would make it...it didn't. Two phone calls and a few emails and it finally made it 2 days late for his BDay. Next time I'm in the market for laptop...gonna stick with the Egg or another e-tailer. Oh yeah, another thing...figured an ASUS would be free of bloatware...nope. Not nearly as much as the other off the shelf ones, but still had to reinstall Win7Pro to get a clean start with it.

You know, I didn't even really pay much attention to the pricing. It looks like they are charging you the full price of a brand new CPU plus additional labor costs. And on top of which, they keep the original CPU. If I had noticed, I would have just ordered the base laptop and upgraded the CPU myself. The Sager's cost less for the upgrade because they are barebone laptops. So they receive the laptops from the manufacturer without any CPU. The Asus already comes with a CPU that needs to be removed. I should look at getting into business with Sager to sell their laptops. That is what I wanted to do with Asus, but they pretty much stopped making barebones systems.

Got the Sager the other day and that is already on its way back. Great computer except the left mouse button is horrible. Looks like a Windows driver issue and Sager's tech support couldn't offer any solutions. If you hold the left mouse button it is nearly impossible to copy data, scroll, or click and drag. After some research it appears to be a common issue. Unfortunately for me, I pretty much just use the mouse pad rather than an external mouse. So I guess I am SOL. I can't really find anything I really like as far as i7 laptops. I guess I'll just have to wait until they are more common. I would still prefer a 14" screen with an i7 like the Asus I first tried. Those 15.6" screens make big ass laptops.

Back