What kind of speakers are you using?

kleptophobiac

Supreme [H]ardness
So far I've cheated and used a set of logitech z-640's i got for dirt cheap a few years ago. I'm getting ready to remodel my den and was thinking taking the opportunity to build in some speakers or at least run wiring.

I'm looking for good midrange performance. I don't care for boomy bass, nor high volume in general. I don't need one of these ludicrously high powered systems that draws several kilowatts. I care about good reproduction of speech and classical music. I'm looking to keep things reasonably priced, and if I can avoid using a receiver/amplifier, that'd be great.

So what are you guys running?

I am using a pair of Alesis M1 Active MK2 Studio Monitors, each speaker has 2 amps in it one for the tweeter and one for the driver. Great sounding speakers but kinda pricey, about $350/pair + shipping.
editor.jpg

How are you guys connection these types of speakers to your comp? Special soundcard adapter?

Dark Prodigy said:
How are you guys connection these types of speakers to your comp? Special soundcard adapter?

I've got XLR to Phono jack cables connected to a mini jack with phono jack cable (same kind of cable that usually comes with a portable CD player) with inline phono jack adaptors to put the 3 cables together..

Im actually building some right now, I might go with two 8" woofers per box, or possibly one... Not quite sure yet, will have to try out some setups at the audio store next week. Im looking to build a folded bass horn that can fit through the door, though I dont know if I should build the folded horn or a ported/sealed box (going with a 274W amp and 15" sub).

My old setup was an early 1980s Sansui amplifier, Kenwood receivier/amplifier, and sony 120W RMS amplifier. It basically weighed a ton and took up half my room, one amplifier died, another one is on its way out. So I Just threw half the old shit out and will be starting from scratch.

'Comptuer' speakers never cut it for me. Im building a low end HTPC, and when I watch movies, or rock out at 2:15am... I like my ears to bleed. Most computer speakers seem to really bug me at higher volume levels. I may sound old school and ghetto, but with 3 amplifiers the size of a mid-atx tower powering 6 speaker boxes with more than enough wattage on the amplifiers side to melt the voice coils in a blink of an eye, it seems like I get less distortion. Seems smoother than some, I dunno... hard to explain. 2-3" satellite speakers with a ported 5 or 6" sub on the floor doesnt really do it for me.
Expect pics from me soon, ive got a project going on ;).

DeViLdUdE said:
^^ They still dont sell B&W online huh??

i'm not sure. typically i've only seen them at very high end retailers for hifi, but i honestly hadn't really looked online.

highly reccomended. they're the clearest, most precise speaker i've ever owned.

for my HTPC I am using optical out to a pioneer 1015 and athena speakers. F1 across the front, r2 for surround, b1 in rear, klipsch 12" sub. For my main PC I have multi channel out to an onkyo home theater in a box.

JBL Northridge Series for front, center, and rears. Yamaha dual 8" subwoofer. All driven by an old Sony 5.1 receiver. Still sounds great to me. Of course I have been apartment living for so many years, this system has never been pushed. I am "blasting it" when the volume goes over the 3 mark. Oh to have a basement...

millers_35 said:
HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 and a STF-2 sub

Pioneer VSX1015TX Reciever

Miller

Wow, I saw this thread and thought that no one else would have the vents.. I have the same exact sub as well :D The only difference is that I'm powering mine with a Panasonic SA-HE200.

Rakinos said:
Wow, I saw this thread and thought that no one else would have the vents.. I have the same exact sub as well :D The only difference is that I'm powering mine with a Panasonic SA-HE200.

Nice! They are pretty descent speakers. Excellent for computer speakers and I do have them in a bedroom. Dont know how well they would perform in a bigger space.

Miller

thanks for posting that BTW. I have been trying to find some small home speakers with decent output to replace my onkyo speakers. that is a very good option I think.

Wow, all of that looks like total overkill. Anything decent in the <$250 range? Preferably with SPDIF?

under 250 you are talking aobut some low end home speakers or mid/high end PC speakers. I fyou want PC speakers get the best logitech you can spring for.

I use an optical out to my pioneer e 47TX, paradigm monitor 7s in front, mini-monitors in the back, Reference CC (active model), and a PW2200 for the sub.

Back