What Media Player do you use and Why? I'm looking for one with good flac support.

What do you use?

• Windows Media Player 9/10

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Winamp

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Foobar2000

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Itunes

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Jet Audio

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other (Please list)

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters

the Jones

Weaksauce
Up until this point I have been using WIndows Media Player 10, but due to the fact that it does not support FLAC I am in the market for a new app. I've looked at foobar, but, at least so far, I'm not too happy with it. It doesn't have a full media library with sorting options like media player 10. So the question I pose is, what is a good user friendly media player that supports FLAC?

It does have a full media library with sorting options. Once you get the database up and running, it has a lot of flexibility and I've found it more convenient than most other media programs. It also has a separate album list display and custom scriptable sorting methods.

I installed foobar, said fuck this and went back to winamp :) (hey, I'm not genious programmer like the rest of you)

Winamp. Been using it forever. It plays music and that's all I need it to do.

Bugalaman said:
I installed foobar, said fuck this and went back to winamp :) (hey, I'm not genious programmer like the rest of you)
Same here. I did like foobar for its ks plugin and extra options back when I was using an Audigy2ZS though..

Newbify2 said:
foobar, learn it. love it.

Or you could just get sick of menus whether it's media player or winamp...

and just deal with foobar, lol!

I'll learn it...promise...for now, tho, it just plays music without trying to be the "next" big all in one solution.

foobar2k is really the way to go. If anyone wants, I can just email them my config.. the only thing that you need to do is make sure that your files are properly tagged, and then configure output for your soundcard...and you get all the foo-ey magic.

Here's a nice screenshot of my config
http://www.iupload.net/022005/derfoo.JPG

That's pretty nice BO(V)BZ. Could you send me a copy of that config?

PS - Another Foobar2k user here. :)

Last edited:
Yay for foobar, foremost of the audio players :D

PS: strid3r, YGM. If yahoo bounces the 2.5meg attachment, I'll yousendit to you instead.

Hey I'm definitely not a programmer or anything so I've only been able to change foobar slightly to match my needs, but I would like to know if anyone could tell me how to arrange files by subdirectories last, like Winamp's filepath and filename sorting. For example foobar likes to arrange file paths like so..

/Music/Artist
/Music

I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me how to arrange the sub directory to be second

Does foobar play quicktime files? I hate downloading quicktime to play 1 file and then deleting it cause it sux balls.

foobar supports just audio, no video at all. However, just download quicktime alternative and use that... then you never have to actually download quicktime again =]

TheExile: Go to playlist > sort > sort by file path , If you want to keep that handy, just assign it a hotkey.

Foobar doesn't arrange filepaths in the way I'd like though, I wanted it more like Winamp's filepath sorting

TheExile said:
Foobar doesn't arrange filepaths in the way I'd like though, I wanted it more like Winamp's filepath sorting

What's the difference? If you can tell me what you want, I'm sure I can hack out a sort string to do it for you.

Back