what mouse to use in fps's? mx1000 no good?

G'ßöö

[H]ard|Gawd
every once in awhile I use staples or furture shop to try every mouse going. gotta love their return policy! ...I was excited to hear about the mx1000 so I bought one last night but I'm taking it back. nice options and feel but way to heavy to move in fps's. and this thing has a wicked rating!?!?! since there's nothing really new in mice lately I guess I'm sticking with my logitech click. it has great feel and its corded because IMHO cordless mice aren't precise enough. I like the low profile front and its light to move around quickly. searching shows limited info on this.

what is the FPS'ers mouse of choice and why?

MX518, that new raxer or the unreleased-as-of-yet saitek one. Or an MX510

I have the mx1000, and personally the weight is a non issue. Get a decent mousepad that is probably the problem. Even on my cloth mousepad the mx1000 glides across with very little effort. On my fUnc1030 I can move the mouse across the entire pad with barely a tap from my pinky finger. As to being precise, the mx1000 + correct drivers + fUnc1030 = just as precise as any other mouse out there, if not moreso. The mx1000 is a great mouse for fps games.

I did have problems with accuracy with my mx1000 using old drivers/no drivers at all (using usb plug and play). I also had problems with it using sub-par mousepads.

Erasmus354 said:
...Get a decent mousepad that is probably the problem....
thanks but no. that's not it at all, anyone knows ya gotta have a wicked pad. in fps's, I lift the mouse a tiny bit and kinda "sway it bak 'n forth". 4 me many bigger mice are too heavy for that motion to happen with ease. I like to have my hand around the mouse not resting my hand on it. I've tested all the good and >$40 mice and took them all back. <sarcasm> on the hole, logitech's feel better :D

mx510 - don't like the style and poor precision. it feels "off". like brushing up against a guys arm. ew!
mx518 - don't like the style, nice though. precision was good
mx500 - don't like the style, nice though. precision was "so so" on the cordless version
mx700 - nice but no thnx. feels too big in the palm, buttons felt awkward. poor precision
mx900 - no thnx. feels awkward. precision was "so so"
mx1000 - great precision, great feel but its the heaviest mouse on the display counter. for 100$? no thnx

I found any wireless MS mice to be poor for fps's and windows, but many are. that precision aspect in is too frustrating. my hand eye sees it...

EDIT: wow that saitek might be promising. anyone know of a canadian or yankie retailer? info found HERE.

G'ßöö said:
thanks but no. that's not it at all, anyone knows ya gotta have a wicked pad. in fps's, I lift the mouse a tiny bit and kinda "sway it bak 'n forth". 4 me many bigger mice are too heavy for that motion to happen with ease. I like to have my hand around the mouse not resting my hand on it. I've tested all the good and >$40 mice and took them all back. <sarcasm> on the hole, logitech's feel better :D

mx510 - don't like the style and poor precision. it feels "off". like brushing up against a guys arm. ew!
mx518 - don't like the style, nice though. precision was good
mx500 - don't like the style, nice though. precision was "so so" on the cordless version
mx700 - nice but no thnx. feels too big in the palm, buttons felt awkward. poor precision
mx900 - no thnx. feels awkward. precision was "so so"
mx1000 - great precision, great feel but its the heaviest mouse on the display counter. for 100$? no thnx

I found any wireless MS mice to be poor for fps's and windows, but many are. that precision aspect in is too frustrating. my hand eye sees it...

EDIT: wow that saitek might be promising. anyone know of a canadian or yankie retailer? info found HERE.

I own the MX500, MX510, MX518 as well as the MX1000 and I've used them all for MANY months and for hours upon hours on end. Every game type imaginable. They all have the same exact body shell. With the exception of the MX1000. I don't know what you are talking about when you talk about the MX700 being too big. Its the SAME DAMN SIZE AS THE REST OF THE MX FAMILY. How can the MX900 feel awkward when its the same damn thing as the MX700 and MX500 in terms of ergonomics? What are you talking about here?

The MX500 is more precise than just about any non-MX engine mouse out there. From any brand. Theres a few that are better engine wise. Ergonomics are subjective. This is the heaviest MX corded mouse by far.

MX510 is even more precise and more accurate than anything save for maybe the Diamond Razorback. Which I've personally never really used. They made this mouse a bit lighter than the MX500 that came before it.

MX518 has weird graphics on it, but the same body shell as the others. The drivers are completely different for this mouse, and its sensitivity can be changed on the fly, should you desire to do so. When sniping I've actually started to like this feature. The precision of this mouse was enhanced EVEN further than with the MX510.

MX700 Is heavy. It has no cord and batteries. It is just as precise as the MX500, some say even more so. I noticed some minor lag with it. I didn't own this one myself, but I have used it at length over at a friends house a couple times.

MX900 is heavy and has batteries. Exactly like the MX700. I have no idea about its precision. Again this thing has the same body and ergonomics of the MX500 and MX510, and so on.

MX1000 This mouse is actually different, in feel, shape, design and even technology. This mouse has the greatest precision of the entire family of MX mice. Including the MX518. The problem is that there is something screwy with them and while I used this for playing games, it didn't feel smooth. Like it was too sensitive. It was somewhat skitzo at times. I've tried various drivers and none of them fixed the problems. Also, when connected to the USB port this thing lagged like hell. In the PS/2 port it didn't lag as bad. I think theres something with the RF receiver, at least on mine.

So, when you talk about two mice in the same family, and one feeling bulky or big, when they are all physically the same shell, I've got to say something. That just isn't accurate at all. If I had a camera I'd post pics of the whole family side by side. They just aren't different. The only thing that changes between them (MX1000 aside) is the weight and whether or not it has a cord. Sensitivity is different based on drivers.

The only statement I agree with is that the Microsoft Cordless mice, SUCK at FPS's. They just don't seem as precise.

Sir-Fragalot said:
...Its the SAME DAMN SIZE AS THE REST OF THE MX FAMILY. How can the MX900 feel awkward when its the same damn thing as the MX700 and MX500 in terms of ergonomics? What are you talking about here?
you're right, and I clearly state I didn't like the style on the 900, 700 and 500. they are the same "DAMN" size and shell, giving the same uncomfortable, "touching another guy" feeling. why do I think they are too big? I tried to say why. it feels to big/heavy and arch's the palm. I like my wrist/lower palm to be on a surface not the mouse and not a lot of arching through the wrist. sorry if it doesn''t make sense..
Sir-Fragalot said:
...So, when you talk about two mice in the same family, and one feeling bulky or big, when they are all physically the same shell, I've got to say something. That just isn't accurate at all. ....
you're twisting my words. I note how all mx's aren't my fav'z and was surprised how the mx1000 felt

compare the click if I make no sense. :D ...the low front profile of the click feels great and it has a low arching area for the palm. to each iz own...

You took back the mouse of choice IMO. The girth of the MX1000 makes it so you don't overshoot or overcompensate for anything.

Overall I only own 3 mouses.

Cheap Microsoft Mouse: Not good for gaming and fairly poor precision
MX510: Good mouse, nice shape and fell
MX518: Best mouse of the bunch, sensitivity settings and on the fly ajestment, although I don't know how to effectivly change them mid-fight its good while set on 1600DP.

Razer DiamondBack 1600DPI Completely owns. So many different settings it makes it the best FPS mouse there is.

well i never played CS before CS:S,right now i just pulled off 21 kills with 5deaths top on the CT team and did better then AD members and AR members without any snipeing what so ever. now if i can figure out how i can suck so bad and do shit like that every couple days or so id be godlike

i use a razer Diamond back and its teh own with headshots

Ballz2TheWallz said:
well i never played CS before CS:S,right now i just pulled off 21 kills with 5deaths top on the CT team and did better then AD members and AR members without any snipeing what so ever. now if i can figure out how i can suck so bad and do shit like that every couple days or so id be godlike

i use a razer Diamond back and its teh own with headshots
sure ya did.

I'm on my fourth of fifth intellimouse 1.1a, I still haven't found anything more natural for gaming and day to day use. If only they made an up to date stylish version with the same button positioning, weight, dimensions and wireless bluetooth. I'm not a huge fan of Logitech (although their Elite Keyboard is nice minus the drivers) The Razer Diamond back looks alright but the haxxor LEDs and 80's fluorescent green logo kind of bother me.

One thing about DPI, don't all optical mice pretty much have the same exact responciveness? 125hz over the USB bus. I know there is a registry tweak that boosts the input response of USB to bring the mouse refresh rate up to insane levels but it crashes windows XP after a certain point, so all mice have the same default input refresh in windows XP (125hz) unless you tweak the USB bus refresh via the registry. I seem to remember reading that the 1.1a Intellimouse was also the only mouse to go above a certain input refresh.

Does high mouse DPI actually do anything (proven and scientific, that is) or is it just a marketing thing?

ryanrule said:
sure ya did.
i just did 29-13 on the same server but diff map,i play the AD server as A GERBIL or banana gun

best maps-dust,dust2
weapons-nothing does it like a silenced carbine which is why CT is a must for me ;)
oh and i get raped after takeing cough medicine

G'ßöö said:
you're right, and I clearly state I didn't like the style on the 900, 700 and 500. they are the same "DAMN" size and shell, giving the same uncomfortable, "touching another guy" feeling. why do I think they are too big? I tried to say why. it feels to big/heavy and arch's the palm. I like my wrist/lower palm to be on a surface not the mouse and not a lot of arching through the wrist. sorry if it doesn''t make sense..
you're twisting my words. I note how all mx's aren't my fav'z and was surprised how the mx1000 felt

compare the click if I make no sense. :D ...the low front profile of the click feels great and it has a low arching area for the palm. to each iz own...

Ergonomics are subjective. Some like the MXx00 series mice best. Others prefer another brand or they prefer the MX1000. I personally actually prefer the MX1000's form factor but favor the drivers and precision of the MX518. The laser mouse just gives me lag, and a few other issues in games. I don't like it.

I bought a 518 for my laptop today and I found myself missing the weight of the mx1000.

neuroquake said:
I bought a 518 for my laptop today and I found myself missing the weight of the mx1000.

Yeah the MX518 doesn't seem to weigh anything. The MX1000 is great for regular use, but in games I found it didn't work nearly as well.

well....

I had an intelimouse explorer3.0 (original) for 5 years( yes, tahts 5 years)

2 years ago i bought a wirless ms mouse of same formfactor, and didnt like it, so stuck with it. Last fall it died on me (turned off randomly while playing, very annoying) so i picked up a new one after years and years and eyars. Red mx510. I was amazed i actaulluy liked it better. It was biggera nd heavier, but it jsut picked up so much better. 400dpi on the old old ms explorer3.0 (not 3.0a, i tired taht and thoght it sucked, buttons felt like shit imo), 800dpi on the mx510. I used taht mouse for 6 some months, and loved it. About a week ago I saw a Razer Diamondback Plasma LE (1600dpi, 7 buttons, covered in fargin blue leds, matches my case/keyboard completely)

So i ordered it and found a buyer for either of tjhe mice, depending what i liked. I'm keeping the Razer, its beautiful, and 1/10th the weight (at least it feels like it) of my mx510, and just slides across the mouse pad. Has adjustable on the fly sensativity also, but i wont use that in games; too easy to change sens and not be ready for it.

I'm a league/lan, competative CS and CS:S player, playing since beta .8 or so. Unless your going from 5 dollar wirless to nice corded optical, a mouse won't make you better, but it can take away any excuse for missing a shot; and fps's are a mental game; and that can make a difference. On the mx510; last pub game with it i went 60--10 or so in 30min dust2; and last night i went 70-12 on same server, same map in 30 minutes. Took me abou 3-4 days to get used to it; but i havnt noticed any dropoff in accuracy at all currently. The biggest difference is the weight, i would have to physically move my 510, while my hand just glides ontop of this razer plasma le. I also dropped my in game sensativity from 1.5 to .7; same windows settings; with this mouse; with mouse beign highly noticeably smoother/more ersponce in windows (just from higher dpi i'm assuming, a waste to run it at anything other then 1600dpi i think)

Mmm big lan comin up to; looks so pimp, and comes with a sweet lan carryign case to......:D

I know there are a lot of Razer Diamondback haters around here, but it is my favorite mouse by far. A little on the small side, but for fps and rts you just can't beat it.

id really like to try the razer mouse
i dont wanna buy a $50 mouse and then not like it tho

I have the MX1000 and I must say i'm not impressed w/ it when it comes to fps...it has always felt off...you guys have made me realize that it IS the weight. I have a cheap ol hp optical mouse w/ a scroll wheel that works just fine :) (it is corded) I'm thinking of converting to that for fps'

Jesus_Faction said:
id really like to try the razer mouse
i dont wanna buy a $50 mouse and then not like it tho
I second that but I think I'll bite and order the DB plasma

so funny doing the computer accesory trips to stores. all the comp geeks and issues they bring.....a specialized computer gaming store near me has no return policy on mice!! I left the store saving my rebuttle. I expect this store to be around for a whole 2 weeks. how they cannot compete with future hole or staples is re-hab-tarded. no wonder the store is always empty

EDIT: razorback found HERE
Chickennog said:
I know there are a lot of Razer Diamondback haters around here, but it is my favorite mouse by far. A little on the small side, but for fps and rts you just can't beat it.
oh really, how so? what's are the "beefs" against this mouse/these mice? anyone???

G'ßöö said:
EDIT: razorback found HERE
oh really, how so? what's are the "beefs" against this mouse/these mice? anyone???

i had it for a month and sold it here.. i only had 1 reason to sell that mouse and that would be the size of the mouse.. i wouldve kept it if it wasnt the size.. sold it and bought MX518 yesterday and im very happy w/ it.

Betauser said:
i had it for a month and sold it here.. i only had 1 reason to sell that mouse and that would be the size of the mouse.. i wouldve kept it if it wasnt the size.. sold it and bought MX518 yesterday and im very happy w/ it.
its smaller than regular mice eH? would comparing it to the logitech click be fair, as in dimensions? the click is HERE

G'ßöö said:
its smaller than regular mice eH? would comparing it to the logitech click be fair, as in dimensions? the click is HERE

it's just a regular size mice, but i had an old mx500 mouse that i used to play w/ fps and the razer 2100 bommslang, i just dont like regular size mice..

matrix0507 said:
I have the MX1000 and I must say i'm not impressed w/ it when it comes to fps...it has always felt off...you guys have made me realize that it IS the weight. I have a cheap ol hp optical mouse w/ a scroll wheel that works just fine :) (it is corded) I'm thinking of converting to that for fps'

Its not the weight. Its the tracking. I don't care what Logitech says. The damn thing lags. If I load up the a game of UT2004, and play with the MX1000. It feels choppy as hell. If I play with a MX500 series mouse, it feels smooth as butter. Same settings in game nothings changed.

If I turn mouse smoothing all the way up, it hides some of the choppiness I get when moving the MX1000 mouse around. But doesn't get rid of it.

That's not the weight doing that. That's something in the design thats badly implimented. I've tried a couple others and they worked the same. I've tried tons of drivers for it and again yesterday and it felt the same.

Really sucks, I like it being cordless and I like the wieght and ergonomics of it better than any mouse I've ever used. I really want to like it. I just can't take the performance of the thing. Its crap for games.

what your feeling there is the wireless. They state "no lag!" on its design; but its still there and noticeable. I dont think you would notice it on desktop/browsng web, but just doesnt feel right in games; especially when doing alot of sublte or precice adjustments quickly

Worminater said:
what your feeling there is the wireless. They state "no lag!" on its design; but its still there and noticeable. I dont think you would notice it on desktop/browsng web, but just doesnt feel right in games; especially when doing alot of sublte or precice adjustments quickly
it should be faster than wired if they wold design it correctly.

i dont think so... even if the wireless signal travesl at a faster rate then over wired; i think the current delay even in the mx1000 comes from converting the wireless signal to a wierd signal the usb or ps2 port will read correctly. They say "No Lag" right on the packaging, but if you use em it is noticeable... (my roomate had mx1000 i used before i bought my mx510 and i just couldnt game with it... just felt... off... so i bought 510)

I'm still looking for something to replace my Intellimouse 1.1a. I tried wireless a couple of years ago and couldn't tolerate the lag. I've tested out every modern logitech mouse at a local store and didn't like the feel of them and truthfully I haven't been a huge fan of Logitech since 1995. The intellimouse 2.0 seems comfy but wouldn't a wireless version lag? I wish they made a leather bluetooth or wired version. Do bluetooth mice offer less lag? I assume that since upcoming consoles are using bluetooth controllers that there would be no lag.

B0000AOWW6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

comfy

Anyone here own a wireless Intellimouse 2.0? Is there any lag?

I'm partial to the Logitech Marbleman for fps games. After a day of using my new MX1000 I like it so far. Anyone who notices lag with it has an overactive imagination IMO.

As for the Saitek one..

"Attractive, illuminated rim, which flashes when mouse is moved"

Would the flashing not be horribly annoying?

the mx1000 was very precise. I had to reduce the mouse sensitivity in source but I found it quite precise. heavy, but precise. I cannot say that for all of the other wireless I've tried. my dexterity feels it, my eyes see it. if you don't, you're golden with a $20 mouse

I'm ordering a razor. thnx for the info ;)

Worminater said:
i dont think so... even if the wireless signal travesl at a faster rate then over wired; i think the current delay even in the mx1000 comes from converting the wireless signal to a wierd signal the usb or ps2 port will read correctly. They say "No Lag" right on the packaging, but if you use em it is noticeable... (my roomate had mx1000 i used before i bought my mx510 and i just couldnt game with it... just felt... off... so i bought 510)
There is no lag. A laser sensor feels different than an optical. That's what he felt, not wireless lag.

shadowbreaker513 said:
There is no lag. A laser sensor feels different than an optical. That's what he felt, not wireless lag.
um... a laser sensor is the exact same as an optical sensor. The mx1000 uses the same sensor as the mx510 and 99% of the other optical mice out there. The requency of the led used is what determines the sensitivity of the mouse.

http://home.comcast.net/~richardlowens/OpticalMouse/

let me quote....

quote: So, red light at 630nm works well (and is also very efficient power-wise, so that's what is used), infra-red at 800nm would be best (but such an LED doesn't exist), IR at 850nm would work better than red (but I don't think those LED's are very efficient), IR at 945nm (like the LED's in most VCR-type remotes) wouldn't work very well, neither would blue LED's at 470nm.​
since the razer is the same, i'm assuming its using the same standardized optical sensor, and i'm also assuming that since the razer is listed as straight infrared, it will be at or around 800nm, therein as accurate or more accurate then the mx1000. Laser mice arent a new technology, just different led.

Let me know if i'm interpreting this wrong...

My MX1000 feels off. It lacks smoothness. If I turn up mouse smoothing all the way, its better. But not as smooth or as accurate as my MX510 and MX518.

MX1000 on order, there's a rebate on it...pretty sure it's posted here.

Currently have the MS wireless that Peacetilence posted a pic of. I like it, I'm just tired of the batteries dying every three weeks.

Wireless spoiled me, I'm not dealing with a corded mouse ever again if I can help it.

Back