What substance do you use to lubricate a video card fan?

I've heard several times that WD-40 is not the best. It seems that most of the fans I've taken apart are lubed with some sort of grease instead of oil.

Having said that, I've used 100% vegetable oil a few times, and it works. For a little while.

I've used hair clipper oil, motor oil (synthetic and dino), vegetable oil :)

I do remember reading about some sort of goop you could buy for your fans that was supposed to last much longer than oil, but that was a while ago.

I've had the best luck using hair clipper oil. The other oils seemed just a bit too thick.

Edit:
I would recommend against using a powered graphite lubricant. I'd imagine some of it could get inside your computer and possible cause a short circuit.

Bike chain lubricant... "Tri-flow" with teflon which has the consistency of juice.

Seems to work well. I do not use motor oil as it seems to be a little too thick.

chainsaw oil, same stuf as clipper oil, jsut a different bottle, and yes graphite is verrry bad. when mixed with electronics at least

if you oil your video card fan, id assume it makes it worse in the long run. Collecting dust and all.

I've used Singer sewing machine oil and Silicon lubricant. The sewing machine oil would work for a while, but it seemed to evaporate or something. The Silicon Lube has been the ticket for success for me.

i dunno what its called but ive always used the oil you put in air tools before you use them, works like a charm.

~B1zz

Originally posted by Biggie
if you oil your video card fan, id assume it makes it worse in the long run. Collecting dust and all.

When it's to the point where it chugs along at about 20 RPM, it doesn't really hurt to try :)

try some "Bonez Speed Grease". It's used to lubricate rollerblade bearings...and works quite well too. I have a set of Abec 9 bearing in my skates and after lubing them up with the BSG, I noticed I could go a lot faster with less effor.

it also has a very thin consistency. You should be able to get it at any decent Sports store or online for a couple dollars.

chances are you SHOULDNT be needing to "oil" it. also, wd-40 is a degreaser, no shit it doesnt lubricate well

Sewing machine oil is amazing for this purpose.

Nathan Glentworth
Owner
Tweaknews.net

so what is really the best attributes for oil for fans? I have seen so far

oil based
thin consistency

pball gun oil is very thin, is made to smoothly lube metal against metal parts, it is 100 per synthetic, I dunno lol.

Back