What to look for in a projector?

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been wanting a projector for a long time. I have no idea in what to look for brand and spec wise tho.

It will only be used with a ps4 and Xbox one to game and watch blu rays. Sound wise all I've got as of now is a Samsung soundbar with wireless sub. I'll upgrade that stuff at a later date.

Any help would be appreciated and if I need to answer any questions in order to get help feel free to ask. I'd like to buy this soon.

I've been out of the loop for awhile after getting my most recent projector a few years ago, but I'd be considering the following if I was in the market these days:

- 1080P resolution, no point going any lower these days.

- Check your mounting options. Can you move the projector around or does it need to be fixed in one spot? If you can't move it and can't mount it exactly where you need, look for a projector with lens shift. Digital keystone adjustments should be avoided where possible.

- Check the projector throw distance for the size screen you want. If your room isn't long enough, you might have to sacrifice screen size.

- Likewise, check your seating distance. If you're too close, you're going to get screen door effects on the screen if your screen size is too big.

- Get the highest lumens you can, especially if you can't control the room's lighting. Especially useful if you're looking for a 3D projector.

- Inputs, more is always better. You never know when you might need a direct S-Video connection where up-sampling on a receiver doesn't exactly work right (Specifically certain videogame consoles, ignoring frame processors, etc).

- LCD vs DLP. I've had both, typically prefer LCD but that's up to the viewers eyes and how susceptible they are to color wheel rainbows (if that's even a thing these days).

- Noise, may or may not be an issue. Building/buying a hush-box is always a quick fix to a certain point.

Probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting, but this should at least get you started. For reference, I'm currently running this:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H421020

No complaints, looks great on the 125" screen I have it on currently, could be brighter with 3D tho.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/ is a good spot to start researching.

Back