What to use to protect the bottom of an LGA775 proc?

Uberbob102000

2[H]4U
I need something to protect the bottom of my QX9650 because I've been wanting to lap it since it doesn't get amazing contact with the Apogee GTX. So any suggestions to protect the proc from damage while I do this?

dont want to be an ass, but i would not recommend lapping a cpu that is as expensive as that. i lapped my e4400, but if it breaks i dont care. id care if my nice new quad broke, and didnt have a warranty.

Well he is running a very high end setup, I am sure he knows what the risks are. That is why I recommended using the whole socket off a 775 motherboard. Its the best mount you can get for holding that CPU in place without damaging it.

If he built it himself it should have come with a plastic cover for the bottom of the CPU.

Wait... If you still have the box, just use that plastic tray thing that comes with it.

*At least its not a PGA socket processor...

The processor is the robust part of the LGA socket, so even if you used nothing to protect it you probably wouldn't have any problems. Just clean the contact pads with alcohol after you finish, should be fine - the socket is what is easy to break.

Back