What will a used x2 3800 go for after Amd price drops?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Just wondering because I have 3700+, and Im very intrested in getting a duel core cpu, and with the price cuts, the x2 3800 will be really cheap both new and used. Also if anybody would know a ballpark figure of what I could sell my 3700+ for?

Its all really frustrating with the dates , It would have happened today but probably we have to wait another ten days. :(

A retail X2 3800 after the price drops will be around $170. You could sell yours used for around $100 - $125 ... that would be my guess. You may be able to get more out of it, but I am usually not so lucky.

Question...will the price drop of an x2 3800+ be for S939 or AM2? Im still w/ 939 and not going anywhere until I see a REAL performance increase w/ AMD. And since conroe is out now, when does AMD plan on doing these price drops? Any specific/rumored dates?

my plan is to put together a cheap AM2 rig with a 3800+ x2, galaxy 7600 gs, some good ram and a decent mobo

this will do for me until vista/dx10/k8l/crysis etc is ready to come out
god I hope the next gen amd chips will work on am2

visaris said:
A retail X2 3800 after the price drops will be around $170. You could sell yours used for around $100 - $125 ... that would be my guess. You may be able to get more out of it, but I am usually not so lucky.
Damn. 100. that hurts..I paid 233 for it. (AND i'm poor)

:(

I would think more like 150. Prices don't go that far beyond retail on CPUs generally, and people will be snapping up X2s left and right as they become available as a cheap toss-in upgrade.

DangerIsGo said:
Question...will the price drop of an x2 3800+ be for S939 or AM2? I

Both according to this...

AMD7-24pricing.png

Just to tell you, if you are building this rig with gaming in mind, an X2 3800+ scores about the same as a 64 3200+ (as the X2 3800+ is just 2 3200+'s together)

MH

I thoroughly enjoy how all the 1MB cache chips are not changing in price at all, minus the 5000.

thedude42 said:
I thoroughly enjoy how all the 1MB cache chips are not changing in price at all, minus the 5000.
Thats because they are being phased out, and therefore dont need a price change because they wont be around.

so it would be better to get a 3200+ rather than a 3800+ x2 and save some money if you're just putting together a cheap am2 rig to bridge to gap between now and k8l?
this rig would be for online gaming primarly, only using a 7600gs as well

Yea, i would say so. In fact, thats what i did. Except i got a 3500+ instead, as it was only $20 more. Also if i were you, i would scrounge up the extra $30ish and get a 7600gt over the 7600gs.

MH

MikeHunt988 said:
Just to tell you, if you are building this rig with gaming in mind, an X2 3800+ scores about the same as a 64 3200+ (as the X2 3800+ is just 2 3200+'s together)

MH

Except if you OC. Then the possibilites are endless :D

True, OCing opens a lot of new doors, but i have never been and OCer myself, and never plan to. IDK why, i just dont.

MH

So in gaming.

OC'd X2 3800 > 3700+

I'm willing to OC an X2 3800+ if I won't lose performance in games. But this is almost unavoidable in comparison to my 3700+, correct?

Has anyone here COME from....3700+ TO x2 3800+?

Adionik said:
So in gaming.

OC'd X2 3800 > 3700+

I'm willing to OC an X2 3800+ if I won't lose performance in games. But this is almost unavoidable in comparison to my 3700+, correct?

Has anyone here COME from....3700+ TO x2 3800+?

I have, actually. I ran my 3700+ completely stock.. once I got my 3800+x2 I OC'd it right up to 2.4ghz on stock voltage. I play alot of games in window mode and do other things at the same time, so I have deff noticed a rather large difference.

If you plan to just play the game and that is it you are better off with a single core. If you want to burn a dvd, play a movie, and get a mmorpg going in a window (like me) then rock out with a dual core.

amd's cutting prices further than the initial announcement, a new x2 3800+ (both 939 and am2) will cost $149 according to the charts, so i think a used one will be like ~$100.

AMD are going to have to do better than that! I'm looking to whack an X2 in my machine at some stage. However $403 for a X2 5000+ is way too much. Considering a Intel E6600 is $316 and is much much quicker in every area. Damon Muzny from AMD recently stated "we intend to maintain our price/performance leadership", yeah right! :rolleyes:

khanable said:
I have, actually. I ran my 3700+ completely stock.. once I got my 3800+x2 I OC'd it right up to 2.4ghz on stock voltage. I play alot of games in window mode and do other things at the same time, so I have deff noticed a rather large difference.

If you plan to just play the game and that is it you are better off with a single core. If you want to burn a dvd, play a movie, and get a mmorpg going in a window (like me) then rock out with a dual core.
Awesome. I'm going to get one than. I'm a big tab out whore.

BF 2 + AIM + Myspace. Haha. I have 2 gigs so the dual core should suit nicely.

Back