What would happen if the high end went to 999 USD?

Highendtoys

Limp Gawd
The title says it all. I want to know what you think about flag ship video cards going up to 1000 dollars USD.

only people with alot of money would buy it, unless the high end could last 5 years playing all games cmoing out at great settings I Wouldn't even look at it twice

I think it would be absolute fucking insanity... I don't think that would be a smart move on the part of the card makers, there aren't enough enthusiasts out there that would be willing to spend that kind of cash on a card... at least I don't think there are...and I can guarantee you I certainly wouldn't...

I suppose I could be wrong.... but I doubt it...

People that would wish to buy them would buy them. It's the exact same situation as we have with $650 flagships, but you just change the numbers around.

There will be people that might be nonsensically pissed off, but their anger would be sorely misplaced.

I might eat my words, but there is no way a consumer level product is going to be that high in price. If it is, then it will rapidly drop in price shortly after its released, because very few people will buy it. The company wants to sell its products AND make money, they cant just make money by inflating prices, they have to take in account the purse of the target market.

lets do a little role playing, pretend your the company and ill be the consumer

YOU: hey, buy my videocard for 1,000$ its super mega awesome!
ME: no.
YOU: how about 700$
ME: eh. its not that awesome
YOU: 250-300$?
ME: sure.

there is a huge lesson to be learned by rumored pricing

"DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!"

I might eat my words, but there is no way a consumer level product is going to be that high in price. If it is, then it will rapidly drop in price shortly after its released, because very few people will buy it. The company wants to sell its products AND make money, they cant just make money by inflating prices, they have to take in account the purse of the target market.

lets do a little role playing, pretend your the company and ill be the consumer

Assuming inflation reverses its trend.

inflation in the US is wht 4% per year :p? (or deprecetation?)

so going by that it should be about should be about 1k in 10 years or less, but you will probably end up making more $ by then anyways

You remember when the GeForce3 launched for $350?
How about the Radeon 9700 Pro, with its $399 MSRP?
Then there was the 9800XT: $499.
Now the 8800GTX is supposed to fetch $649.

The simple fact of the matter is, it'll happen. And sure, we'll bitch about it for the first few months, but then we'll just accept it as law. And then when they introduce a "budget" card for $750, we'll all breathe a unanimous sigh of relief. And then we'll argue and hold our breaths for the next $1100 card.

The company wants to sell its products AND make money, they cant just make money by inflating prices, they have to take in account the purse of the target market.
Who said anything about just raising prices? One would assume that, for $1000, you're going to get a card that's faster than the cards sold for ~$600 today.

It's not as if they intend to give us a mild 10% performance bump for the extra 400 bones -- they're going to give us performance relative to the price.

Who said anything about just raising prices? One would assume that, for $1000, you're going to get a card that's faster than the cards sold for ~$600 today.

It's not as if they intend to give us a mild 10% performance bump for the extra 400 bones -- they're going to give us performance relative to the price.

I agree. They are not that stupid to sell something well overpriced, cuz it might cause distrust, etc...

Exactly, If R600 came out for $600 in two months but a dual or even quad-core R600 gpu (ala GX2) released for $999 later this year, people will buy it. If a profit can be made, both companies should go for it.

If any 1k bux card last like over 5 years without any performance decrease then that should worth the 1k investment in it.

Same exact thing as processors that are $1000 when they come out and are only 200-400MHZ faster than the much lower priced "older" models.

I'll keep buying the sub $200 cards, thats what will happen :D
$600 plus for video cards are completely outrageous in the grand scheme of things. Your life doesn't revolve around running a game on a 30inch lcd. Its not what you'll think about on your deathbed.

Flagship CPU cost US$ 999, and people still buy them. These same people will probably buy US$ 999 video cards .

The trend in PC gaming is relatively declining. I don't see graphic companies over-charging than the existing high end cards. Moreover, they have to place their Gx2's or other overkills competitively as well. So there is no way they can go across the board with their single high end cards. Heck thats gonna slowly kill their SLi and crossfire brand names as well.

$600 plus for video cards are completely outrageous in the grand scheme of things. Your life doesn't revolve around running a game on a 30inch lcd.
For some, $600 may represent the same percentage of income as a $4 cup of coffee is to another. You're thinking far too narrowly.

uhm whats that for?...only thing that make sense is
"DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!" so I dont believe you..

oh by the way your role playing sucks...

decrease in performance* uhh
How do graphics cards decrease in performance? The games may become more advanced over time, but the performance of the card remains absolutely static save for mild increases due to driver updates, unless the card has some sort of bizarre organic GPU (which none currently have).

For some, $600 may represent the same percentage of income as a $4 cup of coffee is to another. You're thinking far too narrowly.

percentages of income doesn't matter into this kind of decision. That would make a reasonable justification for the same people buying $2000 shower curtains. Its not narrow thinking, its reasonable and moral thinking. No matter how much money you can throw at material things, in the end you wont even consider them in your life.

and look at you, trying to throw narrow thinking back in my face and failing.

The point is that the price is not there because the market would not bear it. If a vast number of people wouldn't reject that price, the price would be $1000.

In other words, the price would be $1000 if enough people would pay it.

So, if the question is "what would happen if high-end video cards suddenly cost $999 today?" Well, the market dictates that the manufacturers would make less money because so many would balk at the price. The high-end is at $600-650 for a reason.

And in the end, no one will say man I shouldn't have spent that 600$ on that awesome video card that allowed me to have all those fun times playing great games with my friends and made a lot of memories... I should've boughten something else with it instead..

Its purely respective to how people want to spend their time, just because you don't value gaming and the like as much as other people, does not mean that they don't consider it an important part of their life.

Gaming for some people is like sports for others, which is why you see 200-300 dollar pairs of cleats for certain sports. Would I pay 300 dollars for a pair of cleats? No, because I only play baseball occasionally and I'm completely content with 35-40 dollar cleats.

However I just spent 250 (after 20MIR) on an 8800GTS 320mb. And I will get a lot of satisfaction out of it :) Because I enjoy the time I spend playing games with my friends.

Saying income isn't a factor is simply an uninformed statement, study basic econimic principles. Satisfaction or "utility" is directly relative to the cost of the product/service, thats why only people with larger amounts of money will continue to pay prices that are increasing, with relation to their income, for a good that only provides a fixed amount of utility.

If you don't want to buy a 600 or a 1000$ video card, then don't :)

since the 8800's play all games now very well...if a $1000 card comes out...paying $550 for a GTX will look like a good deal. Plus i always thought these ultra expensive cards were more for 3d modeling and animation to decrease render times.

You have to realize, that though many people on this website may have the greatest and latest video cards, we are a minority (as a community). 90% of the population who own computers will buy a new 250 dollar video card each year or two, and will never really justify spending more than that. A video card may soon end up costing $1000 dollars, but in reality the video card companies make little profit on these cards, as they dont really move enough of them. Its the 150-350 price range (mid range) that makes them all their moneys, as they move the most product in these ranges.

The point is that the price is not there because the market would not bear it. If a vast number of people wouldn't reject that price, the price would be $1000.

In other words, the price would be $1000 if enough people would pay it.

So, if the question is "what would happen if high-end video cards suddenly cost $999 today?" Well, the market dictates that the manufacturers would make less money because so many would balk at the price. The high-end is at $600-650 for a reason.

But the question is if they were here, say...tomorrow. A 999 dollar video cards that is not covered in diamonds, rubies or sapphires is presented on store shelves for us to purchase.

90% of the population who own computers will buy a new 250 dollar video card each year or two

more like, 90% of the population who own computers make due with whatever onboard solution their motherboard came with.

silly folks droppin thousands of dollars for a 'new' computer.

Eventually, prices could very well reach 1000 USD, although that all depends on the value that people perceive when they buy it.

It almost seems as if the makers of video cards are letting those prices creep up and up, just to see if the demand is still there, and if they hype that they spread can actually generate the demand.

This is just a guess, but I honestly believe that most folks here that consider themselves gamers, are usually perfectly happy buying a single graphics card that costs between 150-250 USD. For the most part, they're going to be just fine when playing today's and tomorrow's games.

However, there are some individuals who have a "money is no cost" attitude. Good for them, since what they buy, holds off the obselescence for a bit longer.

Still, I'd much rather prefer to spend 200 bucks now, and enjoy my gaming in the meantime with enough eye candy, and wait for a couple of years, before spending another 200 bucks that will get me a card that will beat out the top of the line from those two years ago, by a large margin.

To look at it another way...

In the world of cars, there are car buyers who first, want a sports car, and then there are some buyers who want the most expensive sports car that they can buy. Then there's the rest who are completely happy with ordinary passenger cars.

A 12,000 dollar Scion is a passenger car. It's slow, yet, gets someone from point A to point B. These are the equivalent of computer owners who use the onboard video. They don't need turbochargers, they don't need premium gasoline, simply because their needs are completely satisfied with what's available.

An 18,000 dollar Honda Accord is a good passenger car. It gets someone from point A to point B with excellent reliability, and does so reasonably fast. In fact, with today's engines, it's actually a good performer compared to some of the sports cars of old. For the most part. This is the equivalent of people who have GeForce 7600 series cards.

A 30,000 dollar Nissan 350Z is a sports car. It does the above, but with even better performance. They're going to benefit from tweaks, using premium gasoline, etc. They paid about 2.5 times as much as the entry level user did, but they believe that they are justified, since they get far superior performance (and they do...). Let's place the GeForce 7900 users in this category.

A 120,000 dollar Porsche 911 Turbo is like the Nissan 350Z, but it takes it to a much further extreme. You get performance that is certainly superior to the above. Let's place the 8800 GTX users in this category.

Who is going to enjoy their toy the most? Of course, the guy who was able to fork over the 120 grand for the 911.

However, if we look at a couple generations ago, those Porsche 911 cars were generating less than 300 horsepower, something that today's 350Z easily does.

In the end, technology progresses quickly, and if you're willing to wait a bit, then you can usually get yesterday's top end performance at a much lower price, and still enjoy your performance along the way.

Either way, I think its been shown pretty well that when you start hitting $600+ for cards, most people will go buy a PS3 to enjoy both gaming and HD movies. Theres a lack of content to justify that $600 video card.

Still, I'd much rather prefer to spend 200 bucks now, and enjoy my gaming in the meantime with enough eye candy, and wait for a couple of years, before spending another 200 bucks that will get me a card that will beat out the top of the line from those two years ago, by a large margin.

Ok, but new top of the range card will completely ahnihalate your new $200 card and all previous...

I mean this is a bit silly for us to be deciding what gfx cards people need to buy, coz they'll still purchase what they think is reasonable for them.
As somebody suggested that we should wait for the actual(real) pricetag and then say if its worth it or not, since we dont even know if itll really cost 1K, but I dont exclude that possobility granted itll provide greater performance(~30%).

percentages of income doesn't matter into this kind of decision.
You're right: income and the concept of disposable income is totally irrelevant. That is, if you're in some other alternate dimension in which money is not earned. I assumed that you lived in this dimension, and I admit that was a tad insensitive of me. My apologies.

Its not narrow thinking, its reasonable and moral thinking.
Again, you're right. Buying $2000 shower curtains and $1000 video cards is very immoral.

No matter how much money you can throw at material things, in the end you wont even consider them in your life.
Then why are you here?

You have to realize, that though many people on this website may have the greatest and latest video cards, we are a minority (as a community). 90% of the population who own computers will buy a new 250 dollar video card each year or two, and will never really justify spending more than that. A video card may soon end up costing $1000 dollars, but in reality the video card companies make little profit on these cards, as they dont really move enough of them. Its the 150-350 price range (mid range) that makes them all their moneys, as they move the most product in these ranges.
This is the best point brought up and exactly what I think. So what if the top end get up to 1000 bucks 99.9% of everyone isn't going to get that card. the sub $350 mark is where they make money. the high end stuff is to show off and sell the other cards. For myself I would just get the best $350~ card when i need it and the way things going that will be about once a year. Good thing i can sell my old card so its really like $100 for video a year.

Back