whats the deal with monitors missing dvi port?

dopple

Gawd
the dell s line comes with hdmi and vga, but no dvi. is this some conspiracy with modern displays? :D

i ask because i dont have a vga output and i dont want to use hdmi and id rather not use the converter.

the s2740l has a dvi output.

why don't you want to use hdmi? it carries a dvi signal + audio. you can get a dvi to hdmi cable for about $5.

the s2740l has a dvi output.

why don't you want to use hdmi? it carries a dvi signal + audio. you can get a dvi to hdmi cable for about $5.

its connected to the PJ so its occupied.

i thought a dvi-d has lesser bandwidth than a dvi-a or dual. more hz on the the monitor with dvi to dvi.

i thought a dvi-d has lesser bandwidth than a dvi-a or dual. more hz on the the monitor with dvi to dvi.

these are all 1080p monitors, a single link dvi is sufficient to drive that resolution up to about 79hz. dual link dvi is unnecessary. hdmi ports carry dvi signals, so if the only output port you have left is dvi, buy the $5 dvi to hdmi cable.

alternatively, you can buy a new video card, or new monitor.

these are all 1080p monitors, a single link dvi is sufficient to drive that resolution up to about 79hz. dual link dvi is unnecessary.

single-link-dvi can actually do around 120hz@1080p
people confirmed driving their 120hz display over single-link with hacked drivers
but its pretty close to the limit and may not work for everyone

DVI is dying. That's why manufacturers are putting it on fewer and fewer monitors. It'll stick around on high definition (1440p+) and 120hz displays for a while longer, until DisplayPort supplants it.

DVI is dying. That's why manufacturers are putting it on fewer and fewer monitors. It'll stick around on high definition (1440p+) and 120hz displays for a while longer, until DisplayPort supplants it.

well manufacturers are putting it on fewer displays that is why it is dying. but it seems like the most superior standard since it can handle 1440p at 120 hz. they are removing DVI perhaps it is too versatile and powerful and free from HDCP and other jailing technologies associated with digital content.

Actually my AMD card and the Samsung 120Hz monitor S23A700D which I received just last week supports HDCP over Dual DVI. I have the dual DVI cable for a very long time with my last two monitors and I am just able to use the extra benefits that the DVI cable standard provides. HDMI 1.4 still does not match what my old DVI cable can do. I wanted a 27" display but no DVI input just the DisplayPort which is a joke around here. There are so many users having problems with DisplayPort losing connections from time to time. DisplayPort is not ready for prime time yet. I am a just a bit surprised how well my old DVI cable hold up all these years.

Back