Whats the real difference between a HDTV Monitor and a Computer monitor?

Juice925

Weaksauce
I have about $1000 to spend on a new monitor, and after much research, browsing, and trolling, i had pretty much narrowed it down to either a Dell 2707WFP or a 3007 WFP. The 3007 might have been a bit out of my budget but I thought I could manage it.

Now I thought my mind was made up, but then I start seeing all of these people talking about their Westinghouse HDTVs that doubled as monitors. I looked it up online and it is pretty much the same price, if not cheaper, than an actual dell monitor.

Now I know this question has been asked a million and a half times, but, what is the real difference between a HDTV Monitor and one of the Dell Monitors. They are the same prices, but one has a 37" screen as opposed to a 27" and a buttload of more inputs for games, tv, etc etc.

Looking forward to responses, and I am sorry about the overly asked question.

Dell 30" = 2560x1600 = 4160 pixels
Westinghouse 37" = 1920x1080 = 3000 pixels (compare to 24" monitors with 1920x1200 pixels)

The Dell has far more available desktop space than the Westinghouse in a smaller package. The Westinghouse's lower resolution paired with its larger surface area will result in a larger, "blockier" image which may make it unsuitable for some types of computer work, especially graphics work. Text will be giant by default. The Dell also has a better panel with superior viewing angles.

People tend to sit further away from the Westinghouse so that things will no longer appear big and blocky.

but I mean...which one would be a better value for the money? Doesn't the westy not have a built in TV Tuner? What does that mean?

The westy doesnt have a built in tv tuner.. that means you cant just hookup coaxial cable from an antenna, etc.. something has to interpret the signal, ie A tuner.. you can buy a tuner separate if you really want to use it for tv..

All in all when I looked at the stuff since im still on edge mysefl between a westy and a 24 dell... how much will you use it for console gaming/dvd viewing.. thats the deal breaker.. thats where the size really matters... PC use.. you will like it but ofcourse setting it up etc.. is going to cause problems

What do you mean it will be difficult to set up for PC Use? Isn't it just plain Plug and play? Is this monitor not as good as a dell 2707 for computer use?

I think he means physically setting it up. It's pretty big and you need to sit a bit further back than you would with a monitor.

I am just worried about the ghosting on the westy. People seem to be having a lot of problems with them.

Both monitors are an excellent value compared to competing products. My opinion is that the Dell and the Westinghouse are both an equally good value. The Dell suits designers, professionals and is better for desktop use, while the Westinghouse is better for media purposes, such as gaming and movie watching. Don't expect to be able to run games very well at the Dell's 2560x1600 resolution.

I don't think the 2707 is a good value at all.

Back