What's the story with ASUS boards lately?

signmeuptoo

Weaksauce
In another forum some people are saying that ASUS boards for socket 775, with newer chipsets, have had a lot of problems. Is this true, and if so, why? Which boards? Which chipsets? Is it BIOS issues or hardware?

Don't know. My P5K-E/WiFi-AP has been rock solid. I would not hesitate to recommend and ASUS board.

I like my Maximus Formula, it's been almost perfect except that the NB and SB run a little too warm I think. I've read that ASUS uses a poor thermal paste and that it's hard to replace. So I put an Antec cool spot on it and it helped a lot. All in all it's a great board though.

I agree with kick, I have a P5K-E/Wifi that's been a great board and my son is running the same in his rig with no issues. This board is based on the P35 chipset, but I don't know about Asus boards running newer chipsets. I thought I did hear something about Nvidia 780/790 boards having data corruption issues or something like that, but to be honest, I never really looked into it. I thought that affected all boards though, not just Asus.

The 780i Asus boards have been really unstable. Some people getting good experiences, but not the majority. The newest p45 chipset Asus board appears to have some issues, but they may be ironed out with a bios update in the near future. My maximus formula is great.

I thought that other manufacturers' 780i-based boards had issues, too (i.e., nForce chipset would seem to be the culprit more than the motherboard manufacturer)...

I have an Asus P5N-D (750i-based), and, aside from nvgts.sys freaking out (which I resolved by reinstalling Windows and immediately upgrading the nForce drivers), I haven't had problems.

I thought that other manufacturers' 780i-based boards had issues, too (i.e., nForce chipset would seem to be the culprit more than the motherboard manufacturer)...

I have an Asus P5N-D (750i-based), and, aside from nvgts.sys freaking out (which I resolved by reinstalling Windows and immediately upgrading the nForce drivers), I haven't had problems.

there haven't been many complaints on the 750i, most people really like them. the 780i has been troublesome as a chipset in general, but worst cases have been on asus, namely the asus p5n-t deluxe.

In another forum some people are saying that ASUS boards for socket 775, with newer chipsets, have had a lot of problems. Is this true, and if so, why? Which boards? Which chipsets? Is it BIOS issues or hardware?

after numerous batches of like 80% failure rate... boards returned 4 or 5 times before one that works arives in such batches as P5KPL budget 775 motherboard.. I'll never buy another ASSUS board again.. and its not like we buy 1 or 2 boards.. we usually buy 4 or 5 cartons of motherboards at a time (unless a customer requests something very specific).. usually 10 boards per box

perhaps if you buy something high-end... and are willing to spend time sending it back and forth for a few months.. could be ok... but i say fuck that shit...

the same goes for MSI..

and before people go.. well its a budget board.. you get what you pay for... this is for business not pleasure... and most people we deal with want budget PCs for offices etc... we have no problems with other brands and even their budget range... gigabyte, abit, intel are some of the more common boards we get and are all reliable..

So far all three of my Mobo's have been Asus'
P4P-800
p4p-800 E
A8n-e

I know a lot of people ended up bricking their boards due to many problem with ASUS' Bios problems. Personally I never had much luck OC'ing with any of the boards, but they did run quite smoothly.

Based on [H]'s recommendations, though, I'm going with the eVga 750i FTW for my next build. It seems to be the only 750i based board that doesn't have issues.

Asus boards work fine.
My two asus boards have been running now for around 2+ years
(Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe [SktAM2] & Asus A8V-VM [Skt939])

Ive owned nothing but Asus boards. My last two personal computers had a SK8N and M2N32 and both have overclocked perfectly with my FX-51 and now my 6400+. The six other computers Ive built have yet to have a problem also. But it seems most problems are with Intel sockets so that might be a different story.

should have said that. i would also agree the problems are intel/nvidia chipset exclusive.

I have seen reviews all over the place about my mobo, Asus M3A, stating lots of DOA, bad LAN, bad sound, etc. I personally freakin' love this board. I have hit 350FSB absolutetly stable with it and the onboard devices worked fine with no issue after drivers installed off the CD.

In fact I have never had a bad Asus board.

the p2b and the p3b were great overclocking boards. some people had luck with the nf2 boards, the a7n series. i had a 975 dh deluxe that was ok. that about covers it. buy a dfi board.

105843672_1dfe6cbaac.jpg

It seems to be the in thing to rant against Asus these days. What I can say is that, when hordes of people were complaining that their AM2-based motherboard didn't support the newly released Phenom processors, my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (Nvidia 570) had a supporting BIOS released before the processors even hit the market. There have been two BIOS releases since then to support new processors.

Based on an article here at [H] it does sound like there are some issues with Asus/Nvidia chipset/intel cpus in the 780-790 series. I would probably avoid those, but I wouldn't avoid Asus as a general rule.

I like my Maximus Formula, it's been almost perfect except that the NB and SB run a little too warm I think. I've read that ASUS uses a poor thermal paste and that it's hard to replace. So I put an Antec cool spot on it and it helped a lot. All in all it's a great board though.

+1 Terrible thermal paste but thats about it. I love my ASUS boards despite the occasional RMA.

+1 Terrible thermal paste but thats about it. I love my ASUS boards despite the occasional RMA.

occasional? it's only occasional if you buy 1 or 2 boards a year... it is frequent when you're a system builder who sees bulk product..

P5KPL is not NVIDIA it is G31.. funny board though.. because i was under the impression that the G in G31 stood for integrated graphics... but this board even needed a gfx card...

maybe if there was a good review on [H] for a high-end board.. i might... MIGHT consider it.... but for business.. not a chance.. see I can handle a few RA... waiting for my own stuff is ok... but i cant stand disgruntled customers breathing down my neck for their precious $300 computer.. somehow it is my fault that the electronics failed on their new board.... so the only way i can make sure it is not my fault... is not to buy off board partners that i dont trust...

Had a 680i based Asus board, most picky freakin thing in the world. Wouldn't boot with my A-Data DDR2-800 RAM in 2x2gb config.
Put the same stuff in the Abit 680i board in my sig and it worked great, even OC'ed it a lil.
Seems Asus boards are a tad more picky (at least the 680i I had) from reading the Newegg reviews lots of people had the same problem I did.

I like my P5K Premium..... No issues at all. People who are saying they have failure rates above 5% are either 1) BS 2) Extremely unlucky or 3) Somehow the mobos keep getting damaged in shipping. I have friends who work in the system builder arena and failure rates are around 5% for everyone (i.e. all manufacturers).... Sometimes there are bad batches tho (again all manufacturers have them).

I have a A8N-E, a A8N-SLI Premium, and a P5E, and all of them have been ROCK solid. The two 939 boards have been in my use for a few years now.

That said, I am rather terrified of what should happen if any of them die, I have not heard good things about ASUS CS. :(

occasional? it's only occasional if you buy 1 or 2 boards a year... it is frequent when you're a system builder who sees bulk product..

P5KPL is not NVIDIA it is G31.. funny board though.. because i was under the impression that the G in G31 stood for integrated graphics... but this board even needed a gfx card...

I am a system builder for a small computer chain in Seattle, I ship out 10-15 computers a week all with ASUS boards. I'd say 1 in 100 are bad for me.

I have a Asus P5N32-SLI-Se-Deluxe purchased when first released in 2006 with no probs ever.

P5B Deluxe is running great. I will get another Asus. Looking at P45 with DDR3. or just X48.

Back