When's the G90/9800 series coming out?

peacetilence

2[H]4U
I just got a $4000 0apr (until next year) credit card so I am itching to buy new hardware. I wanted to buy an intel cpu and new mobo/memory and stuff but I heard the Nvidia chipset SLI mobos sucked next to the intel ones. Any idea when the 9800 will come out so I can ditch my sli setup?

See you in a few months talking to the credit counselors. This country needs to learn to save up. Yes I am judgemental. LOL.

I predict an entire 8900/8950 series based on the G92 carrying us to 9xxx series in fall/winter of 08.

Who frikkin knows.

Invest the money you dont really have in some financial advice first.

I'd justify the purchase as a needed expense for my home business (tax deductible as well) ;)

I'm not looking to go crazy though like I had in the past since I'm not as much of an enthusiast as I used to be.

Anyways. How long do Nvidia product cycles generally seem to last? Seems like it's about time for a new release. If I knew their new cards were coming out within 3 months I'd just buy the flagship nvidia card now and do an evga step-up when better cards came out.

I'd justify the purchase as a needed expense for my home business (tax deductible as well) ;)

I'm not looking to go crazy though like I had in the past since I'm not as much of an enthusiast as I used to be.

Anyways. How long do Nvidia product cycles generally seem to last? Seems like it's about time for a new release. If I knew their new cards were coming out within 3 months I'd just buy the flagship nvidia card now and do an evga step-up when better cards came out.

In _my_ experience EVGA's "step up" program is BS, I tried to "step up" and they just said "sorry, not in stock" even though the card I wanted was still selling in stores.

if they are not in stock you can still step up. so whats the problem?
Lots of stores go out fo stock. it happens.
FYI when you step up your date counts as soon as a new card is available. As long as you have applied for step up within your 3 months it doesnt matter how long it takes them to get one to you. You don't send your card back to them till they tell you to send it and they have yours.
Sounds like you have never used step up.
It works well and im glad one company has the balls to do it. Nice to have 3 months of no buyers remorse.
After a few months something better comes out and you want it spend the few bucks on shipping etc and poof new card.
I don't get your problem with it?

if they are not in stock you can still step up. so whats the problem?
Lots of stores go out fo stock. it happens.
FYI when you step up your date counts as soon as a new card is available. As long as you have applied for step up within your 3 months it doesnt matter how long it takes them to get one to you. You don't send your card back to them till they tell you to send it and they have yours.
Sounds like you have never used step up.
It works well and im glad one company has the balls to do it. Nice to have 3 months of no buyers remorse.
After a few months something better comes out and you want it spend the few bucks on shipping etc and poof new card.
I don't get your problem with it?
Well, the option to step up was not available to me at that time, maybe the program has changed? I had a 7900GT KO and wanted to step up to the 512 version, I even wrote them an email begging to let me step up and they said no, sorry, "nothing we can do for you" type response. So yeah, in my experience the "step up" program was pure crap, worthless.

edit: I still like EVGA brand cards, I'm just a little irritated at the company because it feels like I was deceived by a false offer thinking I would be able to step up but couldn't. I also don't like their rules about their warranty, it's just a lame way of getting out of providing the warranty that they claim when you buy it, you get the card expecting a lifetime warranty but if you don't register in time it's gone. I was going to go w/EVGA again, but the more I think about it, the more I want to not buy from them.

Hmm thats weird i never had any problems with them.
Were you past your 3 months or something? They are pretty darn good usually.

Was EVGA still manufacturing new 7900GT-512's at the time? There's a potentially major timegap between when new parts stop being made and they start becoming hard to find in retail.

Well, the option to step up was not available to me at that time, maybe the program has changed? I had a 7900GT KO and wanted to step up to the 512 version, I even wrote them an email begging to let me step up and they said no, sorry, "nothing we can do for you" type response. So yeah, in my experience the "step up" program was pure crap, worthless.

edit: I still like EVGA brand cards, I'm just a little irritated at the company because it feels like I was deceived by a false offer thinking I would be able to step up but couldn't. I also don't like their rules about their warranty, it's just a lame way of getting out of providing the warranty that they claim when you buy it, you get the card expecting a lifetime warranty but if you don't register in time it's gone. I was going to go w/EVGA again, but the more I think about it, the more I want to not buy from them.

Ok please tell me how remembering to register a card 30 days from getting it is so hard? Seriously man do you have such bad memory or are you just that lazy? I usually don't talk like an asshole to people but that kind of post shows that you deserve to not have warranty. Seriously how hard is it to got to EVGA website, login, go to "Register Product" and type in your serial number and purchase date? If you ask me your bad experience with EVGA is your own fault.

They offer the step up as a way for them to make money and keep customers, simple as that. They don't offer step-ups on the new SSC 8800GT because every 8800GTS owner would step up to that and they'd be stuck with a bunch of "recertified" 8800GTS's. The reason for the immediate registration is so that you don't sell the card off 3 months later and are able to sell it with a warranty. They provide a lifetime warranty, covering heatsink removal and watercooling, as well as oveclocking, and you're mad because you didn't register within a month of buying your product?:rolleyes:

NO ONE KNOWS WHEN THE G90 IS COMING OUT. WHEN THEIR'S WORD OF IT, I'M SURE IT WILL BE POSTED ON THE FRONT PAGE KTHX

I really hope that this thread doesn't get locked because of that idiot above, but this is a discussion and there are signs that somethings in the mix if that means an 8900 or a 9800 who knows. No one that a 8800Ultra was coming out when they were mentioned in a driver set release, yet a few months later it came out, now there is mentions of a 9300M G and a 9500M GS in a driver set. I call that a sign of maybe not a soon to be released cards, maybe something thats in early stages or testing like the G92 mentioned in early summer.

I just got a $4000 0apr (until next year) credit card so I am itching to buy new hardware. I wanted to buy an intel cpu and new mobo/memory and stuff but I heard the Nvidia chipset SLI mobos sucked next to the intel ones. Any idea when the 9800 will come out so I can ditch my sli setup?

If you want the 'G100' you'll have to wait until mid Spring/Early Summer.

If you want the 'G100' you'll have to wait until mid Spring/Early Summer.

Got some reference or literature to back that up? Or are you just spewing BS to be a dumbass? I dont get it...what are you doing? The 9 series hasnt been released, and only barely mentioned, and you know when the 'G100' is going to be released?

Did you mean G90? That sounds like it would make sense...Sorry if i come off as a dick if you meant well and made a typo, but, people are fucking idiots on forums sometimes.

I really hope that this thread doesn't get locked because of that idiot above.
I'll ignore that comment, but you know what I said is true. There are plenty of other threads about this same subject. I'm not trying to be a dick to the OP, I just wanted him to know that there was another thread about this.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1236845

You know instead of making a new thread maybe we should continue posting in an existing thread, I mean that makes sense. It's obvious no one knows when its coming out otherwise it would be all over the forum by now. I'm also sure kyle or someone with equal authority would have made a front page post about it. See where I'm going with this?

Got some reference or literature to back that up? Or are you just spewing BS to be a dumbass? I dont get it...what are you doing? The 9 series hasnt been released, and only barely mentioned, and you know when the 'G100' is going to be released?

Did you mean G90? That sounds like it would make sense...Sorry if i come off as a dick if you meant well and made a typo, but, people are fucking idiots on forums sometimes.

Well nissan I really feel your anguish when it comes to people randomly splurting bullshit out with no evidence but at this point I'd give up on trying to get on every persons case about this. I've seen you comment on multiple peoples similar responses. I know that kinda shit really bothers you but really it's a lost cause trying to get people to back up their BS. I just say let them have their fun because if you get on one persons case and actually get them to stop another person will just take their place. Although it does bother me too and it is kind of hard to take that shit but trust, after all the BS I've encountered it's best just to move on to other discussions.

The official codenames are D9E/D9P/D9M. We should see it sometime next year.

Well nissan I really feel your anguish when it comes to people randomly splurting bullshit out with no evidence but at this point I'd give up on trying to get on every persons case about this. I've seen you comment on multiple peoples similar responses. I know that kinda shit really bothers you but really it's a lost cause trying to get people to back up their BS. I just say let them have their fun because if you get on one persons case and actually get them to stop another person will just take their place. Although it does bother me too and it is kind of hard to take that shit but trust, after all the BS I've encountered it's best just to move on to other discussions.

I know, i actually thought i was pretty polite this time.

The official codenames are D9E/D9P/D9M. We should see it sometime next year.

Official quote? Press release?:D

No,I have nothing to back it up that I can link to but my PM box and messages from someone who works for an OEM.

2nd Quarter 08, maybe. I think they know they have something good with the G80/G92 and they're going to do small increases until they think ATi may be more of a threat.

Side Note: There will be no G90.

Nvidia's 9800 Ultra on 65nm with 1 GB GDDR4 will probably be out during the first half of 2008. It should have between 2.5-2.8 GHz RAM.

Note how 8800GT is called "G92"? I think that the increased texture address units to 56 so that it's now 1:1 to 56 texture filtering processors is probably what earned it a new G9x generation codename, since it's probably the only significant improvement aside from the obvious die-size shrink to 65nm and HDCP/HDMI (whatever it is called) implementation into the chip.

We can probably say goodbye to the strange memory sizes of the 8800GTS/GTX for good--my bet is that we'll never see anything like that again for the next 5-10 years. It was just Nvidia's "full-blown" attempt at 90nm--they pushed it as hard as they could just to conquer it for once and for all like ATI did with its 9700 Pro. It certainly pays to do something mighty like that. Unfortunately, both ATI and Nvidia promised to back down on the power consumption issues after their gigantic 8800 and 2900 chips. Looks like their promises are turning out to be true with what we've seen so far (but not much yet...).

Hmmmmmmm.....

Let's say that Nvidia's "9800 XT" (LOL... not ATI's, mind you!) would have at least 1 billion transistors. NOT anywhere close to double that of 8800GT's 754 million, but maybe 30% or 50% more, because if 2x of 8800GT, then the power consumption and die size would also be 2x, once again making it a new king of power-consumption/die-size contest.

The # of ROP's would need to be at least equal to that of 8800GTX's, which is 24 (unlike 8800GT, which has only 16 *UGH*!!!)--hopefully 32 ROP's. I think that the # of ROP is important for high resolutions or high AA modes. Regardless, newer games are already starting to utilize insanely high amounts of texture memory and # of pixels, not texels, that are bottlenecked by the final stage of ROP's.

i think that more powerful video cards is really not necessary for today games. buy an ultra and be happy.

Back