Which game renderer is most advanced?

Which engine do you believe is the most technologically advanced?

• Doom 3 engine

Votes: 122 52.6%
  • CryEngine

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • Unreal Engine 2

Votes: 43 18.5%

• Total voters
I never noticed any shadows whatsoever in Half Life 2. Never missed them for a second either

The Doom 3 engine should be able to do large outdoor areas just fine. People wondered about Quake III's engine being able to do it, because Quake III didn't have much open space at first. Then we found out it did them fine.

Id knows how to make a game engine. While it's true that Id doesn't do alot with wide open spaces, you shouldn't think that the engine can't do it.

As far as one engine vs. another, If the game looks good and has good gameplay, I don't really care which engine was used to make it.

Farcry has a good engine, Half-Life 2 has a good engine, and Doom 3 has a good engine. Some things are done better in one engine or another. But the end result is what counts.

Quake 3 wasn´t fine with out doors. That has always been it´s weak spot and still is even if todays Quake 3 based games really aren´t using the Quake 3 Arena engine any more..

The Doom 3 engine is the most advanced engine on the market right now, it has the best pixel shading, shadows, and lighting.

Source dosn't even come close to any of the above, I mean the lighting is hardly different then HL1s lighting, not to mention glitches and bad FPS. Doom 3 is quite far ahead of anything released now, like someone said, we havn't even touched the Doom 3 engine.

Outdoor scenes in doom3 can be done, it just requires tricky mapping as far as the lighting is concerned. You can actually have decent performance if you do it right. I would have to say that HL2 does beat doom3 in that sense, but not for long.

mjz_5 said:
What is wrong with you.. Unreal 3 should not be placed in the poll, the engine/game is not even out yet!!!!!!!! While your at it, why not place the HL4 engine or even IDs next engine.

H'okay Mr. Flamer there are far better ways to get your point accross not to mention you didnt even give your opinion on which engine was better.

Also yes the engine isnt "fully" out yet but they've demo'ed it and that demo is enough for me and nVidia to sell sm3.0 of off. Thank you very much now have a nice day and stfu

m4rine said:
I would have to say that HL2 does beat doom3 in that sense, but not for long.

yes because we all know doom3 engine is going to evolve, but source isn't... :rolleyes:

DemonDiablo said:
H'okay Mr. Flamer there are far better ways to get your point accross not to mention you didnt even give your opinion on which engine was better.

Also yes the engine isnt "fully" out yet but they've demo'ed it and that demo is enough for me and nVidia to sell sm3.0 of off. Thank you very much now have a nice day and stfu

i did state earlier why i thought doom3's engine is better:

REweskerqchaos0 said:
I prefer the source engine. D3 has much better lighting effects but in my opinion thats all D3 has over source. And again this is just my opinion but i believe the reason the D3 engine at max settings runs slow on current cards is because of the lack of coding efficency.
U dont know what the heck r u talking about. If there is an example of excellent optimizing thats D3 engine comon i ran it at 800x600 in High with only a 1.5GHZ willamette and a 64bit FX5200 with 128MB of 6ns DDR. It ran above 25fps average with a little tweaking of the config files. U r definitly speaking nonsense.

REweskerqchaos0 said:
Oh enlighten us great computer graphics lord. Your mentally weak underlings desperatly need you're damn near useless information that will benefit 99% of us in no way whatsoever other than being able to impress online super geekz. :rolleyes: edit* this is me misinterpreting the previous post and speaking in defense

Edit* sorry man i thought you were being antagonistic with the "anyone? anyone?" thing. My appologies.
I am sure is not by reducing polygon count like Source does and then end drawing straight lines that makes it look like a kinder draw.

Metallica_Band said:
I don't go around looking for errors...they were all in plain view...I see shadows coming from under doors and thru walls and I can see models legs and arms and stuff go thru walls...there's A LOT of the exact same annoyances that's seen in HL1 that have been repeated in HL2...they did nothing to correct them...and don't even get me started on HL2's grass...I swear it reminded me of Doom 1 ages...
D3 rocks but it also has clipping problems. Lemme create an acccount on a public photo site and i'll show ya. PLZ if u know some site tell me.

I've got several screenshots that I take when I'm playing the game...I'm not looking for screwups...they're just things that I sc along the way...got some major clipping issues and major lighting issues...

D3 might have some of these probs too but they're far more noticeable in HL2...in fact they're the exact same things that HL1 had problems with...ya know what...I don't even think Source IS a new engine...I bet it's a mojorly tweaked HL1 engine with new stuff throw in...how else can you explain the exact same engine problems that occur in both HL2 and HL1???

Enduring_Warrior said:
I am sure is not by reducing polygon count like Source does and then end drawing straight lines that makes it look like a kinder draw.

Maybe i didn't catch it but...How does your post have anything to do with my mis-post where i went off at a guy who didnt actually say anything insulting, that i later appologized for?

Holy crap, how is the Unreal 2 engine beating out crytek???

while ut2k4 looks decent, far cry looks better....

Metallica_Band said:
D3 might have some of these probs too but they're far more noticeable in HL2...in fact they're the exact same things that HL1 had problems with...ya know what...I don't even think Source IS a new engine...I bet it's a mojorly tweaked HL1 engine with new stuff throw in...how else can you explain the exact same engine problems that occur in both HL2 and HL1???
Well since its source got leaked and the Q1 engine is open source, I am sure one can make a comparison if they are willing to invest the time. It is possible that they ported parts of the Q1 engine to DX and this a lot of the same problems occur. I kind of doubt they did that though.

Holy crap, how is the Unreal 2 engine beating out crytek???

Because some people assume it's a typo and it's supposed to be Unreal 3 :p

D3 rocks but it also has clipping problems. Lemme create an acccount on a public photo site and i'll show ya. PLZ if u know some site tell me.

http://imageshack.us/

how else can you explain the exact same engine problems that occur in both HL2 and HL1???

If the bunnyhop bug is still there, then we've got a problem :p

Enduring_Warrior said:
U dont know what the heck r u talking about. If there is an example of excellent optimizing thats D3 engine comon i ran it at 800x600 in High with only a 1.5GHZ willamette and a 64bit FX5200 with 128MB of 6ns DDR. It ran above 25fps average with a little tweaking of the config files. U r definitly speaking nonsense.

Im going to go ahead and call this a lie, for the simple fact that I had the same video card in the system below and I could barely get it to run at 25fps on 640x480 Medium Quality.

The Doom3 engine is the best engine of its type out there. Not really sure why the Unreal2 engine is listed seeing as it won't be out for years and all we got is a few high-poly shots of models and maps which were obviously pre-rendered. Anyways, HL2 may have been a better implementation of their respective engine, but the Doom3 engine is simply more advanced.

obs said:
The Doom3 engine is the best engine of its type out there. Not really sure why the Unreal2 engine is listed seeing as it won't be out for years and all we got is a few high-poly shots of models and maps which were obviously pre-rendered. Anyways, HL2 may have been a better implementation of their respective engine, but the Doom3 engine is simply more advanced.

The unreal 3 engine won't be out for years. Unreal 2 (the one that's listed) is out now, and isn't nearly as good as Crytek's engine. I don't understand what the fricken problem is.

obs said:

A few high poly shots that were pre rendered eh?

Guess you missed the memo: http://mirror1.gameworldnetwork.com/movies/unreal3_0002.wmv

Oh and its the Unreal 3 Engine.

The Doom3 engine seems far less sophisticated given the performance with its lowish (relatively) polycount. Also, the Doom 3 engine, when used in a well-lit environment, is definitely not impressive. Quake 4 will hopefully be a better implementation. At this time, my vote would have to be Source, all things considered.

REweskerqchaos0 said:
LoL the guy in that video could seriously befefit from some speech lessons. Nice looking engine though.

Chances are he is on the development team and from my experience most developers do have speech problems (talk to fast, stuttering, too excited, etc.). Im an engineer myself and I suffer from talking to fast and being too excited when I talk hehe :).

does the D3 engine use its own physics? ...or is it farmed out like HL2 uses the Havok engine...

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
The unreal 3 engine won't be out for years. Unreal 2 (the one that's listed) is out now, and isn't nearly as good as Crytek's engine. I don't understand what the fricken problem is.
The Unreal Engine 2 is a few years old already. There have been several games already based off it. It was designed actually on D3D 7. They added some DX8 in UT2004 but the upgrade to UE3 will be big. The video of it from E3 or so looks just great. I think you may see Unreal 3 in the next 12-18 months using the UE3 engine.

Sly said:
If the bunnyhop bug is still there, then we've got a problem :p
Actually I tried bunny hoping and I seem to go faster when hoping around...Source is nothing but a reworked HL1 engine What a bunch of losers...they can't even develop their own engine from scratch nowadays...

ThreeDee said:
does the D3 engine use its own physics? ...or is it farmed out like HL2 uses the Havok engine...
ID was the only one with the balls to try their hand at their own. They are not that bad for someone who doesn't dedicate their whole job to just that one aspect. Most engine license Havok or another lesser known physics engine.

inotocracy said:
Im going to go ahead and call this a lie, for the simple fact that I had the same video card in the system below and I could barely get it to run at 25fps on 640x480 Medium Quality.

Did u forget I said tweaking some config files u lame lame reader, If u want it to run faster you basically need to uncompress it before runnning it to make some room for your CPU...

pk4 are basically zip files

As are pk3, and all other pak files. You revived a year old thread to comment on that? I dont even think pak files are compressed, somewhat similar to tarballs, so unpacking it is just going to speed up load times.

What does Doom 3 have? Shadows.

Source? Lighting, textures/shaders, animations and people (and physics)

My (spiritual) vote goes to source.

First off there is not one single game that has a more advance engine then teh other, different game engine's have a better advantage then teh other.But if I had to pick out a winner it would be teh first listed below while second straight after.

Unreal Engine 3 !!!!

Yes I know its not out yet, but Unreal Tournament 2007 and Gears of War looking friggen insane!!!.

Cry Engine 2!!!!

Crysis is going to look and play insane also!!!

Others also are

Stalker's X-Ray Engine

Quake IV engine (Updated Doom 3 engine, Well I think it is)

Source ( I hate that it doesnt have RealTime Shadows like D3 and STALKER). Source can be a insane engine to use but you have to be good to pull it off.

You nooby, you put the worst list ever. I mean come on, how can you compare Unreal engine 2 with d3 engine?

Where's the option for "who cares which engine a game uses as long as it's good"?

Back