Which harddrive for RAID 6

krebosh

n00b
Hey!

I'm looking for 24 harddrives to install into mine RPC-4224 with an Areca 1680ID-IX 16SAS controllercard for RAID 6 but i cant decide which drives i should use.

I have been looking on Samsung F4EG 2TB or the Seagate ST2000DL003.

I have had a couple of samsungs before and they has been working good in RAID but i dont know if they work good in raid 6.

The server is will be using Windows Server 2008 as operativsystem.

*Sorry for my english... im from sweden :)

Here you'll probably be advised to take Hitachis, but being in Europe I know they're not readily available and are expensive. I use F4EG, Seagate Green and WD20EARX drives, but no RAID, so I don't know. Well, I know that the WD are not recommended since they don't support TLER.

Well, the two drives he's asking about are desktop 5000rpm drives, so I answered with that in mind.

Putting 24 of those into a single rack unit is a very bad idea.

Last edited:
Jesus fuck those Seagate Constelliation is 300+ dollars in sweden for a 2TB drive ...

EDIT: Everyone of these drives are 300+ in sweden even the RE4 2TB is.

Jesus fuck those Seagate Constelliation is 300+ dollars in sweden for a 2TB drive ...

EDIT: Everyone of these drives are 300+ in sweden even the RE4 2TB is.

Then you will want to go with some nice 5400RPM drives from Samsung or Hitachi since they both support TLER functionality and don't cost an arm and a leg. :D

these ones can i get for a good price 100-140

Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 32MB 2TB

Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 32MB 2TB

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 64MB 2TB (BAD?)

The only problem with the WD Green drives is the lack of TLER support, but the other two look good.

Okey well then i go for 24 HD204UI already have 8 of those in a CM stacker 810 and they work great. But its always fun with another brand ;) i also have 8 1TB wd green drives ... but now i have only 6 two of them died within a week :) gonna send them to WD i guess.

I have 8 samsung 2TB 5400 rpm drives in RAID 6. Works great awesome cheap little drives. In the US you can usually pick them up for $70 apiece.

Haha omg 70 a piece is really amazing :)) but the prices is going up since the catastrof in thailand.

Here (France) the Samsungs are the cheapest too, less than 60€. The Seagate and WD can be found around 60€.

WD RE4 : 160€, Seagate Constellation, 180€.

I dont know if u have noticed but the samsungs costs 200 dollars in sweden!!! the price just rised through the roof :O all WD + Seagates also.

i have 8 of the 2tb hd204ui in raid 6 on a lsi 9260-8i. running like a champ with no issues whatsoever as of yet..*knock on wood*. they usually are pretty cheap too

I dont know if u have noticed but the samsungs costs 200 dollars in sweden!!! the price just rised through the roof :O all WD + Seagates also.

Don't expect those drives to last very long, and be ready for quite a few failures, even with RAID6.

I said before, going with desktop-class drives isn't a very bright idea since they are not robust.

You get what you pay for, and I have no idea why you would invest so much money into such a system to then just have it break down. Not the smartest idea imo.

I'm telling you, at this point, if you aren't going to use a DAS or a NAS to separate some of those drives from one another, then you almost need to use nearline-class drives.

i also have 8 1TB wd green drives ... but now i have only 6 two of them died within a week gonna send them to WD i guess.
Yeah, with only 8 running, you had two die.
I can't imagine why I would recommend nearline-class and not those crap desktop-class drives. :rolleyes:
Maybe it's because with 24, you're system might explode! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, i have the money to buy these good nearline-class but it feels such a waste of money... it is just "storage" then i better just buy a massive lian li chassi and buy some random 3tb drives... rpc-4224 is just "cool" nothing else -.-

Yeah, i have the money to buy these good nearline-class but it feels such a waste of money... it is just "storage" then i better just buy a massive lian li chassi and buy some random 3tb drives... rpc-4224 is just "cool" nothing else -.-

Then why did you waste our time asking us what to buy?

Have fun seeing that array fail with those desktop-class drives.
2 day noobie knows all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back