which mobo? (Max II Formula, P5Q-Deluxe, x48-dq6, other)

Which mobo to get?

• Maximus II Formula (P45 ~$270)

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • P5Q-Deluxe (P45 ~$210)

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • GA-X48-DQ6 (X48 w/ DDR2 ~300)

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

mk_ln

Limp Gawd
Hi, I was in the process of upgrading my mobo and was wondering what you all would recommend. If you recommend 'other' then I'd appreciate it if you could specify. budget is $300 CDN.

Thanks in advance :)

Keep in mind that was on a dual core cpu; but looks like thats what mk has anyways; so would be a good recommendation. Im awaiting more results on the Maxumus Formula II before I make my decision. looks like so far people are recommending the P5Q series or awaiting the new X48 board from Asus and others. Looks like a lot of people also feel that the 48 would still be better for x-fire, but I am not too sure. P5q series will definately save some money

there's a new X48 board from Asus? (btw, my CPU is a quad :p)

Haven't updated my sig yet but I think the P5 boards are turning out to be real overclockers. I installed a Q6600 on a P5Q-Pro mb with a Xigmatek and I reached 3.6 so far.

I voted Mximus Formula 2...but either way....I can recommend both the Maximus and P5Q as they are both very good quality mobo's from ASUS! With heaps of overclocking features as well for those seeking higher potenials from their systems!

ya...im just wondering if it would be worth it to fork out the extra $60-$70 for the Max II Formula

Thats what i would like to know as well; im in the market too and woul like to know if I should go P5Q Dluxe, Maximus II, or X48 variant

I am an early adopter of new technology and go through a lot of motherboards, CPUs and graphics cards. To make a long story short for years I have been a big fan of Asus motherboards, however, I was disappointed with my last two Republic of Gamers Boards as both had problems and both had to be sent back for warranty work. They also ran hot, did not overclock like people always claim they can (using Intel extreme dual and quad cores) and would render BSOD's over minor issues. When I purchased my currrent CPU, an Intel quad core extreme, I did a lot, lot of research on gaming boards and ended up with the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6, and I have never been happier with a board. It is stable as can be, no more BSODs, has a great BIOS for overclockers which gets even better if you hit CTRL and F1 in the main BIOS screen, handles overclocks very well, has an unheard of amount of copper cooling it down (heatsinks under the CPU). The X48-DQ6 is essentially the same board. While all the boards you are looking at are good ones, my choice would be the Gigabyte. By way of background I started programming in the 70's, bought one of the first PC's that came out and started building my own when it became possible. Good luck!!

Thermaltake Tsunami
QX9650
GA-X38-DQ6
4gb Patriot Viper PC2-8500
X3 1,000Watt modular PSU
1 x Asus EAH3870 X2 1gb
1 x Visiontek HD 3870 512mb
Coolit Koolance thermoelectric coolant chiller using
6 peltiers keeps the CPU at a constant 31c and the case at 35c.
Additionally the case has 4 120mm fans
Graphics are cooled by stock fans, the Coolit and 4 additional fans
3dMark06: (w/o crossfire working): 18,574 See http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=7318144

I got the Gigabyte x48 DS4 for crossfire. Seems fine so far, bios seem fine but I'm not the type of guy who fiddles around that much. So far all i've done is overclocked my cpu (however after realizing that it would only improve my performance on 3dmark06, I decided to stay with stock for now) and increased the voltage of my ram, which has to have .10 extra volts if you run it in dual channel. Also, from what I just read a minute ago, "F5 bios is in beta and will be available for download soon". I decided to say that because I saw someone mentioning that this board hasn't received a bios update.

One complaint I would have with the board is that changing the ram while having the video cards still in is not a easy operation. If you are worried about it, I wouldn't change ram without taking out the first PCIE card first. However, I didn't really mind so when I took the ram out, the tabs on the side will hit some of the little chips on the back of the board, and also the soldering points (I think those are what they are.) It doesn't appear to damage them at all lol. I don't know why, but I wasn't really that worried about knocking the back of the card a bit. This problem is probably universal with all mobos with the ram on the right side of the cpu, rather than the top, so it's the same as the DQ6.

One other part of the board, that I think I will try to fix, is that if you look at the heatsink on the board, you see this silver piece lying on top of the copper pieces. It's really loose on my board and I can sometimes hear it vibrate, I'm not sure if it's working as intended, It seems like they want it to rattle, otherwise they would solder it on. However, it is very rare that I do hear it rattle.

One thing I would like to add is that the mobo is very flashy. Especially compared to my Neo2 Platinum. I also like that it doesn't have useless vga ports on the back, but this is a common update I believe.

I've been rambling on too much. I will say that I think picking the mobo is the hardest part of building a pc.

hey ozlaw you do know that the rupblic of gamers boards have the most overclocking options and fiddles and tweaks there and here then any other motherboards out there right now? And you do note that having alot of big and chunky HS' compared to a mobo without that big and much HS's makes barely any difference?

And also another thing....why does a programmer have such a highend machine when its well beyond a programmers specs?

Quote:
Thermaltake Tsunami
QX9650
GA-X38-DQ6
X3 1,000Watt modular PSU
1 x Asus EAH3870 X2 1gb
3dMark06: (w/o crossfire working): 18,574 See http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=7318144

Also you mentioned that without crossfire you get that ^ 3dmark score....I don't know much but how can crossfire 2 different graphics cards? I know they are both 3870's cores...but memory and design??? How does it work out?

o_O

Quote:
Thermaltake Tsunami
QX9650
GA-X38-DQ6
X3 1,000Watt modular PSU
1 x Asus EAH3870 X2 1gb

Also you mentioned that without crossfire you get that ^ 3dmark score....I don't know much but how can crossfire 2 different graphics cards? I know they are both 3870's cores...but memory and design??? How does it work out?

o_O

b/c of crossfire-X, it is possible to do that

ok....can I SLi a 8800GTX and a 8800GTS? Or more likely in my case....can I SLi a 9600GT and 8800GTX?

Then how can a 3870x2 and 3870 512mb be crossfired? Isn't it the same as the previous post I posted?

It's ok to put some 1066mhz ram in these boards?

The board shows DDR2 1200mhz

Then how can a 3870x2 and 3870 512mb be crossfired? Isn't it the same as the previous post I posted?

different company (ATI vs nVidia), thus, different implementation. i think the basic principle is the same with running multiple cards, but even still, i have heard that ATI's crossfire allows multiple displays whereas nVidia's SLi does not.

so although i cannot explain exactly HOW the 3870X2 and 3870 can be run in crossfireX, you should just know that it IS possible and that SLi, on the other hand, requires the SAME cards in order to run in SLi. :)

That is bullshit!

(Not refering to your statement mk...but the fact what you just explained to me that something nvidia can't do and ati can!...not happy)

I would recommend a Maximus II Formula as well. I just got mine last week and I've been impressed at the OC abilities of the Maximus II Formula so far.

Back