Which motherboard?

peta328

Limp Gawd
Well I don't got much money but I am upgrading my system so I am looking at amd because they are cheaper overall. I am looking at either a BIOSTAR TF560 A2+ or a BIOSTAR TA770 A2+. I am wondering if the 770 is an board worth buying. Are there any problems with the 770 chipset? So which board do you think I should get.

The TF560 board has been out awhile and is a pretty good overclocker. The TA770 just came out, and I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. What CPU are you going to use?

That should work well on either one.... 770 boards haven't been out that long, so there may be a few problems to work out, but I don't know if there is any thing too serious. Anyone that has a 770 board can weigh in on that.

But I caved in yesterday and ordered the TA770 A2+.... it'll be here Friday.... gonna match it up with a 5000+ Black Edition.

I don't know about 770 but my friend has an Asus 790FX and he didn't have any problem with it.

But I caved in yesterday and ordered the TA770 A2+.... it'll be here Friday.... gonna match it up with a 5000+ Black Edition.

I just did the same. I got bit by the upgrade monkey! I love the low power consumption of this chipset. Passive NB heatsink means one less fan to listen to, and environmentally friendly. That X2 5000 is also 65watts which is really great! I have a x2 4400 that is 110watts in my system now.

I'm going to re-use my AMD stock heatsink which has 3 or 4 heatpipes. It's really not that great. Maybe I should get a better one. I'm going to attempt 3.2ghz. If it won't do at least 3.0ghz I will be really sad. :(

I also ordered 2x1gb sticks of Kingston HyperX 1066 for $80 :cool:

I plan to hold onto the X2 5000 until AMD gets some really good quad core chips out there and upgrade to that, hopefully 2009. I just hope socket AM2 isn't phased out by then. Also hope that this board supports 1066 speed, or at least it with the right cpu when I get my quad core chip next year.

I spent a few days reading here and some other tech forums and finally decided to grab an ASUS M3A on amd770 chipset. 99 bucks at newegg.

Will be sticking a 4200+ brisbane and 2x1gb gskill 4-4-4-12. Hope it oc's well!

I looked pretty seriously at the biostar. It looks nice. But I had a bad experience with an old biostar board for my athlon tbird I just can't forget.

My 939 board died, had ddr400 and a single core a64. cpu/mobo/ram for 220 shipped, nice =) And easy upgrade path to new cpu's if they are worth it.

Does anyone know, will a heatsink from s939 work on AM2 or am I going to be using the retail for a bit?

And score, the asus is also passive coolers on NB and SB, I'm so sick of fans dying all the time. Now my not even a year old vid card fan is buzzing. The NF4 probably died cause the northbridge fan died and i didnt notice.

I checked out intel first but cpu and mobo prices are pretty steep for newer stuff. Poor people for AMD!

@ peta328.... I see you ended up getting the TF560.... how's that working for you?

It is a working out great for me thanks for asking.:):cool: If anyone wants a review of the board I would be more then happy to do one for you guys. So far I am getting 2.8ghz. I was at 3.0ghz but I forgot got to plug in a fan (yeah I know) so I was getting high temps so I backed down to 2.8ghz but now that I got then fans running I am at 2.8 at full load 34c with my cpu volts @ 1.37 I'm dual prime stable so I still got a bit of head room to push my cpu. Also the temps are from the board and not core temp so it is more accurate. I am hoping to get atleast 3ghz. But yeah this is a great upgrade for me. so yeah I am very happy and I got my cpu(x2 4400 65nm 65 watt), motherboard, gskill ram(which I guess overclocks like Ballistix) and a sata dvd burner for $240 so I got a good deal.

Back