Which of these 700W PSUs? (help please)

jreffy

Limp Gawd
I'm choosing a 700W power supply for the system in my sig. I'm looking for not only a 700W PSU, but also one with a large 120mm fan (has to do with my case-mod design). I've done a lot of research for building this PC, however voltage and amps and all that power-talk has always been hard for me to understand, so I'm asking you "experts". So far I have found these 3;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153039 - 165$
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002 - 109$ (after rebate)
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153034 - 154$

Is that 650W going to be enough power for my system (w/ DC Watercooling)? The price on that OCZ is great, not to mention the LEDs (i'd change it to red for my mod), however I read about the "ripple" in the review, how big a deal is that? Just looking for some guidance/input from those of you who are in-the-know. Anything you can pass along is much appreciated. Thanks!

And yes, I'm going to overclock, however I'm new to OC'ing, so it probably won't be a very agressive OC at first.

I wouldn't pick any of the three.

If you're willing to pay $165, why isn't the Corsair HX620W or the Silverstone ST75ZF on your list?

jonnyGURU said:
I wouldn't pick any of the three.

If you're willing to pay $165, why isn't the Corsair HX620W or the Silverstone ST75ZF on your list?

jreffy said:
I'm looking for not only a 700W PSU, but also one with a large 120mm fan.

The 120mm fan feature is important as I am modding my case and I need that to go along with my plans.

Okay... Corsair HX620W. ;)

I'm willing to bet the single 12V rail of a Silverstone ST56F would work fine for you too.

jonnyGURU said:
Okay... Corsair HX620W. ;)

I'm willing to bet the single 12V rail of a Silverstone ST56F would work fine for you too.

bingo, but OUCH @ 189$ price tag =/

maybe i'll have to run that Silverstone and give up hopes of SLI down the road. Or I can always change power supplies later too

jreffy said:

maybe i'll have to run that Silverstone and give up hopes of SLI down the road. Or I can always change power supplies later too

What's a $189 price tag?

ST56F is $108 at Newegg.

The Corsair is $169 w/ Free Freight at Zip Zoom Fly.

I think Newegg just recently jacked up the price on the HX620W because they were going through them too fast. It was $169 just yesterday.

The gameextream lists as 129.99 at newegg right now. The reason I noticed was I paid 159.99 yesterday and haven't even recieved the PSU.

azure said:
The gameextream lists as 129.99 at newegg right now. The reason I noticed was I paid 159.99 yesterday and haven't even recieved the PSU.
And $109.99 if you get the rebate which brings it near the price I paid for my 600w before Monarch realized they had the price too low..

bleh now newegg drops the price on the 700 watt :mad: but it's a dang nice price :D

jreffy said:

why would u have to give up SLI with the silverstone? it is nvidia sli certified.

you don't have to get "nvidia sli certified" to run sli. It's nothing more than a sticker. As long as there is enough amps in the rails you're fine.

I've done a bit more SLI research. I was under the impression that I'd need more wattage for my system, but it looks like I was wrong.

Silverstone is a reliable maker? I'm also not crazy about the lack of modular cabling =/ Maybe I'm too picky, lol

Silverstone makes a great PSU. They use either Enhance or Etasis built power supplies. While you hear the name OCZ get thrown around a lot, the silverstone units are better.

AppaYipYip said:
None! PC Power & Cooling over any of that junk anyday.

Yea, totally. If you want to have any quality in a PSU you need PC P&C. I don't even know what the others exist. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back