Which to buy Wii U/PS4/New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServerKing

[H]ard|Gawd
I am thinking about buying one of the three very soon but checking on the current release schedule I didnt see much exclusives for PS4 or much being released for Wii U. And it seems now most Xbox games eventually come to PC so I am not even considering that system.

PS4 = 400.00 new
Wii U = 200.00 Nintendo Refurb
PC = 400.00 + (my PC is around 4-5 years old which Intel CPU/5570 GPU/8GB/) also PC hooks up to a Vizio 32" LCD so im not one of those must push too 4K res types of people)

I like the Wii U just for the 1st party nintendo games, the PS4 because more variety and better exclusives potentionally then X1, and a new PC because it would be a updated machine (basically would gut the old one). Id much rather sit in the living room to game then where my PC is setup at so I am wanting to lead to a console. Welcome all opinions or fanboys hehe Thanks.

Buy a PS4 or Xbone for stuff that comes to PC ;) (there are some nice exclusives for both systems, but I dunno)

Buy a WiiU if you love nintendo stuff. I for one LOVE my WiiU and it was worth the price of admission ;)

your pc isnt totally bad, thats up to you.

I am thinking about buying one of the three very soon but checking on the current release schedule I didnt see much exclusives for PS4 or much being released for Wii U. And it seems now most Xbox games eventually come to PC so I am not even considering that system.

PS4 = 400.00 new
PC = 400.00 + (my PC is around 4-5 years old which Intel CPU/5570 GPU/8GB/) also PC hooks up to a Vizio 32" LCD so im not one of those must push too 4K res types of people)

I like the Wii U just for the 1st party nintendo games, the PS4 because more variety and better exclusives potentionally then X1, and a new PC because it would be a updated machine (basically would gut the old one). Id much rather sit in the living room to game then where my PC is setup at so I am wanting to lead to a console. Welcome all opinions or fanboys hehe Thanks.

The better questions is do you eventually plan on buying more than 1 of the list? If thats the case, then the best immediate investment would probably be the Wii U. It doesnt have a long list of upcoming games but it does have a long list of existing games that are incredible and rather different than anything youll find on the PS4 currently. Frankly the PS4 exclusives right now, are nothing worth buying, theres nothing new/innovative that you cant experience on a PC or even a PS3, the same cant be said for the wii u

If you need to have something now, I would get the Wii U. For the price of admission you get access to all their wonderful first-party games in addition to any classics available on their store. I can't really justify buying a PS4 at this point, but there are some great looking games in the pipeline. For that reason I would recommend looking at the PS4 closer toward the end of the year. On the PC side, there are new generations of hardware also being released later in the year. So if you're looking to build a brand new PC it's also probably better to wait. Could make a project of building a dual boot Steam OS/Windows box for your living room ;).

PS4 = 400.00 new

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go for the Wii-U or upgrade/buy new PC. If you have a semi-decent PC you can play PC version of the multiplatorm games offered on the Xbox One and Ps4. Currently, I think the Wii-U has the best offering of console exclusives.

If you need to have something now, I would get the Wii U. For the price of admission you get access to all their wonderful first-party games in addition to any classics available on their store. I can't really justify buying a PS4 at this point, but there are some great looking games in the pipeline. For that reason I would recommend looking at the PS4 closer toward the end of the year. On the PC side, there are new generations of hardware also being released later in the year. So if you're looking to build a brand new PC it's also probably better to wait. Could make a project of building a dual boot Steam OS/Windows box for your living room ;).

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go for the Wii-U or upgrade/buy new PC. If you have a semi-decent PC you can play PC version of the multiplatorm games offered on the Xbox One and Ps4. Currently, I think the Wii-U has the best offering of console exclusives.

Agree with both of these

PS4 = 400.00 new

The question is really simple here.

Are you a massive fan of Nintendo's franchises, and are you willing to only play those games? Wii U has horrid 3rd party support. If Zelda, Mario, etc is enough for you, the Wii U is a great deal.

Otherwise, I'd say go PS4. The exclusives that Sony has and will land on the platform are very good. It's also probably going to run a lot better than a $400 gaming pc. If your budget was more reasonable I'd say pc 100% but $400 just doesn't get you much.

Even at only 1080p - I'm not sure a whole PC at only $400 would be worthwhile as a serious gaming machine for long. At least that assumes you're starting totally from scratch. If you already have some things like a copy of Windows 7/8, good HDD, optical drive, case, power supply, etc. then that could change.
I'd take a console over a completely from scratch $400 PC.

The PS4 will almost certainly be a better buy over the Wii U over the long haul, but as of right this instant the Wii U has far more games, including a few all-stars. Mario Kart is only a couple months away, too. However I'd expect that dynamic to change dramatically by this time next year.

PS4, Infamous Second Son comes out 3/21.

which looks extremely bland. The view of the topic wont change much within the next year, there are very very few exclusives announced in 2014 at this point. I have a PS4, and i stand by the fact that its simply not worth buying. I dont think ive powered mine up in over 2 months

Even at only 1080p - I'm not sure a whole PC at only $400 would be worthwhile as a serious gaming machine for long. At least that assumes you're starting totally from scratch. If you already have some things like a copy of Windows 7/8, good HDD, optical drive, case, power supply, etc. then that could change.
I'd take a console over a completely from scratch $400 PC.

The PS4 will almost certainly be a better buy over the Wii U over the long haul, but as of right this instant the Wii U has far more games, including a few all-stars. Mario Kart is only a couple months away, too. However I'd expect that dynamic to change dramatically by this time next year.

While I do agree, the replayability of Wii-U games seems to be higher than most PS4 games (although using right now as an example is terrible).

Games on Wii-U's horizon;
Mario Kart 8 <-- Already pre-ordered myself
Mario Party Wii-U <-- Supposed to have a special edition wiimote too
X <-- Will pre-order
Super Mario Advance 3 <-- Want to see myself first
Metroid Fusion <-- Will pre-order
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga <-- Will pre-order
Bayonetta 2 <-- Already pre-ordered
Super Smash Bro's <-- already preordered

Those are some big ones for this year

http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/wii-u

They haven't started getting announcements for 2015 (yet).

the best combination is Wii u and PC.

the wiiU nintendo games are GREAT. I will also get watch dogs. The wii u gamepad in watchdogs will be an awesome way to play

Could make a project of building a dual boot Steam OS/Windows box for your living room

I like how you think sir. I didnt put a 400.00 limit on my PC to upgrade I just wanted to say it was going to cost 400+ in building a new system if I was too. The person that listed the Wii U upcoming list thanks for the link I looked on Wiki's list I didnt see some of those on it.

Im seriously considering the WiiU and maybe wait till late in the year to do a PC upgrade because I forgot about that whole Steam Box/Linux OS they are trying to do this year I may just wait that out too see how that goes.

Is the Wii U backwards compatable with Wii games? If so any worthwhile titles too pick up or just focus on the 1st party Wii U games?

I like how you think sir. I didnt put a 400.00 limit on my PC to upgrade I just wanted to say it was going to cost 400+ in building a new system if I was too. The person that listed the Wii U upcoming list thanks for the link I looked on Wiki's list I didnt see some of those on it.

Im seriously considering the WiiU and maybe wait till late in the year to do a PC upgrade because I forgot about that whole Steam Box/Linux OS they are trying to do this year I may just wait that out too see how that goes.

Is the Wii U backwards compatable with Wii games? If so any worthwhile titles too pick up or just focus on the 1st party Wii U games?

Yes its fully backwards compatible including the Wii virtual console and all accessories. And supports external hard drives for game storage. Those Nintendo refurbs are nice too. They also have Wii motion plus remotes with nunchucks there to for cheap

Games on Wii-U's horizon;
Super Mario Advance 3 <-- Want to see myself first
Metroid Fusion <-- Will pre-order
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga <-- Will pre-order

Those games are all virtual console re-releases of the GBA games correct? It's odd they'd port the GBA version of Yoshi's Island instead of the SNES version.

Yes its fully backwards compatible including the Wii virtual console and all accessories. And supports external hard drives for game storage. Those Nintendo refurbs are nice too. They also have Wii motion plus remotes with nunchucks there to for cheap
The Wii U is backward compatible? I guess my information got mixed up with the other consoles not having backward compatibility. Now I have to buy one sooner rather than later :D. I just need to find a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy...

You can even play in Wii mode on the gamepad without a TV the gamepad has a sensor bar built into it forgot that in last post

I would upgrade the pc now and get the ps4 later this year. Here's a video of 42 upcoming games for 2014. And a picture:

ps4-games-list-2014.jpg

Some you may rather get for pc, but others not.

I would upgrade the pc now and get the ps4 later this year. Here's a video of 42 upcoming games for 2014. And a picture:

ps4-games-list-2014.jpg

Some you may rather get for pc, but others not.

Quick glance you can at least take witcher3 off there and drive club, which I wasn't pleased about.

which looks extremely bland. The view of the topic wont change much within the next year, there are very very few exclusives announced in 2014 at this point. I have a PS4, and i stand by the fact that its simply not worth buying. I dont think ive powered mine up in over 2 months

No it's not.

The Wii U is slowly becoming the next Dreamcast. Nab one when it gets dirt cheap. I recommend a 3DS before I would a Wii U.

Upgrade your PC around Witcher 3 (now 2015) or Star Citizen release. Nothing else screams you really need to right now.

Upgrade your PC now and run dolphin to play all the wii games you want - you buy buy the games and controllers and upscale the graphics. It saves space and gives better graphics. After more games are out and a price drop or two by a console based on which ones all your friends bought or exclusives.

Either build a small PC itx or mATX that you can easily move or find another way to connect your PC to your TV. Gaming with a PC on a TV is awesome with a 360 controller. An alternative is to build your own steam box for the living room. and have an office PC in your computer room.

The Wii U looks decent, but +1 for picking up a 3DS XL instead. The 3DS library is growing into something really awesome! Plus it's cheaper. Then you could upgrade your video card in your pc, and give it whatever other upgrades it needs.

Can dolphin play Wii U games now? Afaik it can't, but it may be able to in the future at some point.

The Wii U looks decent, but +1 for picking up a 3DS XL instead. The 3DS library is growing into something really awesome! Plus it's cheaper. Then you could upgrade your video card in your pc, and give it whatever other upgrades it needs.

Can dolphin play Wii U games now? Afaik it can't, but it may be able to in the future at some point.

Last I look, no Wii U games on Dolphin. Even if it did not sure how certain games that require the tablet controller, like ZombiU, would work.

Last I look, no Wii U games on Dolphin. Even if it did not sure how certain games that require the tablet controller, like ZombiU, would work.

This answer 100%

There are too many Wii-U games that use the tablet, they do not make the tablet to sell by itself it is always with a console.

If you got $400, get a Wii-U Refurb from Nintendo (comes with a full 1 year warranty, and they are awesome warranties) and get a 3ds-XL

My purchase will likely be:

Upgrade the PC within the year, most of my gaming is done on my PC, which is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Either PS4/Xbone (for the kid): this will depend on which consoles my kids friends end up getting - I'm not too loyal to any one console, but as the kid will be the primary user, might as well get him what his friends will be playing on.

Wii U (for myself): I would've picked up one over the holidays, but the kid wasn't too interested and I couldn't really justify spending that large amount of money on myself (damn wife and responsibilities). Still, if this comes down in price, or I get some spare cash flow, I'd pick one up for myself. Always enjoyed Nintendo products since I was young, and Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS really opened me up to Nintendo gaming again.

Now if I were forced to choose only one primary gaming method - it'd be PC. The amount and diversity of games on the PC platform is staggering, And if you're knowledgable, you can save a lot of money building or at least building it to what you need in a gaming machine.

I didnt think about the 3DSXL I will take a look into that as well, last handheld I had was the original PSP and beat a Final Fantasy game on it was the last real handheld game besides my tablet of course. Yea I have always built my PCs so I know whats good and bad with whats good for the money as well. You guys all have good options.

I would put the $200-$400 you would end up spending on a new console and just upgrade your PC. I haven't played any of the next-gen consoles but you ALWAYS have more options on a PC, if you want a wii-u for backwards compatibility with wii, gc, n64, etc just use emulators. Plus from what I can tell PC games are generally cheaper (and are often on sale more often their the console versions) so you'd save in the long run. Plus at any point you can just upgrade again, much more flexibility in the pc platform.

I would put the $200-$400 you would end up spending on a new console and just upgrade your PC. I haven't played any of the next-gen consoles but you ALWAYS have more options on a PC, if you want a wii-u for backwards compatibility with wii, gc, n64, etc just use emulators. Plus from what I can tell PC games are generally cheaper (and are often on sale more often their the console versions) so you'd save in the long run. Plus at any point you can just upgrade again, much more flexibility in the pc platform.

Yeah build a new pc and steal Nintendo software instead of supporting them. :rolleyes:

OP: what are the details on your PC specs? Even an older machine could be brought up to the speed of PS4 and Xbox One with a video card upgrade. Depends on the exact cpu however. Also, the new nvidia maxwell cards have the ability to turn a plain old PC into a competent gaming machine. Check out the 750 ti for around $150.

Yeah build a new pc and steal Nintendo software instead of supporting them. :rolleyes:

Dont be stupid man. You can use your own discs or images made from them on Dolphin. Emulator itself is NOT illegal.

Dont be stupid man. You can use your own discs or images made from them on Dolphin. Emulator itself is NOT illegal.

Again, Wii-U games are NOT emulator friendly without the pad, which you cannot buy seperately.

Again, Wii-U games are NOT emulator friendly without the pad, which you cannot buy seperately.

Nobody said it could play Wiiu games. Dolphin is Wii and Gamecube emulator only. WiiU emulators do not exist and will not for several years and even then only if we can hack into the gamepad and connect it to computer.

Buy a Wii U, and a gtx 750 ti for your pc. Best of both worlds ;).I run a high end pc and for a console just have the Wii U this gen, couldn't be happier. I own a 360 but it's hardly ever been used since most of its stuff is on the pc too. I bought my Wii U at launch which was overpriced but it's a great system, has a lot of exclusive games already, and more coming.

the best combination is Wii u and PC.

the wiiU nintendo games are GREAT. I will also get watch dogs. The wii u gamepad in watchdogs will be an awesome way to play

If it even makes it to Wii U.

Your narrow minded view of emulation is laughable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but just by bypassing the DRM to rip the ROM off the disc is illegal. At least that how it is for DVD/Blurays. So, I don't see how it's any different for games. No one I've ever known uses their 'own' ROM's anyways. Furthermore, just actually using the console is so much easier, and friendlier.

Correct me if I am wrong, but just by bypassing the DRM to rip the ROM off the disc is illegal. At least that how it is for DVD/Blurays. So, I don't see how it's any different for games. No one I've ever known uses their 'own' ROM's anyways. Furthermore, just actually using the console is so much easier, and friendlier.

Exactly you know damn well when your using emulation 99% of the time your talking about downloaded Roms. Don't bullshit seriously .

Exactly you know damn well when your using emulation 99% of the time your talking about downloaded Roms. Don't bullshit seriously .

but, but, half the internet has a license for the complete mame rom set, as well as all the 8 and 16bit console roms!!

ARE YOU SAYING THEY DONT!

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back