WHS backup and file server

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am building a WHS for my small business backup. I have 4 workstations that I want backed up. We currently have one machine that acts as a workstation/server of sorts. It hosts a lot of shared documents that the other workstations access via file sharing.

My question is, should each computer simply backup to the WHS, or should the WHS act as a file server which all 4 workstations network too.

I am leaning towards backup only as if the fileserver/backup died somehow, all of the active files would be gone along with the backups. the workstations wouldn't have local copies so everything is gone. does my thinking make sense?

A server (WHS or otherwise) should be that, a server. Move all the files etc to shared folders on the WHS and connect each PC/workstation to WHS for file access and backups. Done.

I am leaning towards backup only as if the fileserver/backup died somehow, all of the active files would be gone along with the backups. the workstations wouldn't have local copies so everything is gone. does my thinking make sense?

Turning duplication on will solve this issue in case a drive died that had data on it.

Of course, none of what is above is really a good backup solution for a business. You should be considering some sort of media to rotate off-site - be it daily tape backups, external HDD(s), or other.

Setup the WHS as the document store and use either a RAID 1 or drive duplication and then back it up to a external drive once a week that you take home or send home with an employee. Sign up for an online backup solution which are super cheap $5 a month or so(carbonite, backblaze) and sleep well at night knowing your covered.

how would you configure backblaze for a WHS. I've heard of people having issues with services such as carbonite. I'd love to use backblaze on my WHS if theres a simple easy way to set it up.

Back