WHS Restore

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
My laptop just died. Luckily I have backups on my whs I bought a replacement (not the same model) and did a restore from backup.

It sorta restored, my files are there but all the programs are corrupted. No firefox or office not even IE works. I expected to need new drivers for the hardware but I thought the software would all transfer over cleanly. It's like the registry didn't transfer. The backup is 250gb and takes 3 hours to restore so before I nuke it and try again from a different backup should the restore be just like the old computer or glitches to be expected?

I've done this when upgrading my wife's hard drive in her laptop and it worked perfectly afterward.

Like you said, it may be trying to load the wrong drivers. If you were just replacing the hard drive on the same machine, it should work flawlessly. But on a different computer, it's a crapshoot. Any way you can save the important stuff from the restore, then do a fresh OS install may be the way to go. Did I just type "crapshoot"? Luck!

Like i said it was a different machine so i didnt expect the hardware drivers to port over cleanly, but basically all the software is useless, i have been reinstalling all the programs i use, even basic stuff like IE doesnt work. i might try and do another restore tomorrow, from a slightly older backup, the machine was acting weird before it died so perhaps that impacted the most recent backup.

Further weirdness whs says the backup is 230gb but when restored there is only 91gb used on the new laptops disk..... Dwaaa?

I would just start from scratch and copy the files over that you want to use.

But fresh install + reinstall programs, it's a pain but it's the best route...

Back