WHS server

xenotype

Gawd
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1100...130577101141&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

I was wondering what you all were thinking about this Fileserver. I Intend to run WHS, and then VM win2k8RC2 on it. I have 2x2.0Tb, 2x1.5Tb, and 4x400 Gb to fill it with. Is there anything I'm missing? It looks like everything is there, chasis, drive caddies, cables, controller, procs, mobo, PSUs, etc.

Some advice before I pull the trigger would be nice.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why not run Server 08 R2 on it and WHS within a VM? That's what I do and it works well.

Opteron 254 is pretty ancient at this point, single core and no hardware virtualization. You'd probably be better off building from scratch.

I don't see any RAM in that kit either, getting your hands on DDR in this day and age will cost you quite a bit, especially buffered ECC RAM.

Can someone recommend me a case (room for 15+ 3.5 inch hds), proc, ram, and a PSU? Im interested in setting either WHS or Win2008 RC2 as a fileserver. Don't need a true RAID card, just going to use the OS's pooling.

Forgot to add a budget of around 500-600 USD. Looking to add about 8 hds immediately, and expand later. Not looking for any fancy Rack Mount case, just a single PSU in a full ATX tower.

Last edited:
Are you actually serious about 15+ hard drives?
Is that a budget for the case alone or for the entire server?

Are you actually serious about 15+ hard drives?
Is that a budget for the case alone or for the entire server?

Budget for just the case/mobo and some non-RAID controllers. I intend to use WHS or Win2k8 RC2, not sure yet.

I have about 8 drives, and would like capability to expand. I was looking at something along the lines of 4 gigs ram, and preferably NOT a rackmount, I've priced around and those are a bit more then just a simple full ATx tower.

Budget for just the case/mobo and some non-RAID controllers. I intend to use WHS or Win2k8 RC2, not sure yet.

I have about 8 drives, and would like capability to expand. I was looking at something along the lines of 4 gigs ram, and preferably NOT a rackmount, I've priced around and those are a bit more then just a simple full ATX tower.

Actually once you're in the 15+ drive range, those rackmount cases are actually more cost-effective. So right now you can get the following case for $330 shipped:
$330 - NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Case

The above case allows for 20 hard drives. Once you remove the side handles, you can easily stand up the case like a normal ATX case.

Now the cheapest ATX case routes that can fit 15 or more hard drives that I've been able to find is are these:
$250 - Xigmatek Elysium ATX Case
$48 - 2 x Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP 4 in 3 Device Module w/ 120mm Fan
---
Total: $298 shipped + plus

$130 - Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Case
$170 - Norco SS-550 5 Bay Hot-Swapable SATA Backplane
---
Total: $300 + shipping

Both of the above setups will get you 16 hard drives but they're not that much cheaper than the 20 drive capable Norco.

However a 12 drive capability is significantly cheaper: If you forgo hot-swap capability and don't plan on expanding past 12 hard drives, I recommend the following setup:
$50 - NZXT Source 210 Elite Black ATX Case
$24 - Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP 4 in 3 Device Module w/ 120mm Fan
---
Total: $74 shipped + tax

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Excellent job as always, Danny. I was wondering if you could pick me out a mobo and proc. I prefer Intel, and any mobo with Gbe is fine by me. I was going to go with 4 gigs of G. Skill mem, and if you could recommend PSU for 12 drives, I would be stoked.

$235 - Intel Core i3-2100 + Intel BOXDZ68DB Intel Z68 ATX Motherboard
$73 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU
----
Total: $308 plus tax and shipping

The PSU is a tad overkill but meh, you have the budget for it and it's a good price for a good PSU.

As far as file storage goes, is it better to install Windows Storage Server, then WHS, or just leave it as win2k+8 RC2 , and maybe virtualize the WHS?

As far as file storage goes, is it better to install Windows Storage Server, then WHS, or just leave it as win2k+8 RC2 , and maybe virtualize the WHS?

Why are you keen on Windows Storage Server? Really..i'm curious.

Just the data redundcy. Im a busy grad student so I dont have time to learn *nix or bsd. I like GUIs. I'd settle on just Win 2008 server RC2 though.

Excellent job as always, Danny.
I second, third, and fourth this opinion! :)

It would take my fumble fingers and I at least an hour just to do his last post in this thread.

Danny, this forum is lucky to have you. :)

I second, third, and fourth this opinion! :)

It would take my fumble fingers and I at least an hour just to do his last post in this thread.

Danny, this forum is lucky to have you. :)

Thank you for the kind words!

Just the data redundcy. Im a busy grad student so I dont have time to learn *nix or bsd. I like GUIs. I'd settle on just Win 2008 server RC2 though.

If you are running a single box in a home enviroment, windows storage server has no real value compared to WHS.

Back