Why are two drives and Marvell Config Device showing up in Safely Remove Hardware?

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and I have an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Motherboard.

Since performing an erase and install of Windows 7 and all the drivers, switching out my Crucial M4 SSD for a WD Caviar Black Drive and plugging my 5 Hitachi drives back into my PC, 2 Hitachi drives are showing up in "Safely Remove Hardware" and "Marvell Config ATA Device is showing up there as well.

Any ideas why? Did I set something up incorrectly?

Any info is greatly appreciated

Thanks. How come my other 3 Hitachi drives aren't showing up in "Safely Remove Hardware"?

I'm not sure. Microcenter originally built my PC since I'm a newbie when it comes to the inside of a PC.

I had a hardware problem recently and the culprit was a failing boot drive or OS.

This time I connected the new boot drive, reinstalled Windows 7 and Drivers and re-connected my Hitachi drives. I connected the Sata and Power Cable.

Also it seems that when I click a video to play on those 2 drives, they don't immediately play as fast as on the other drives

Is the delay like 20 seconds? If so disable the 20 minute hard drive power down in the power management settings.

Thanks. I test the videos when both drives are powered on. It's about a second or 2 delay.

Any ideas why only two drives are showing up in "Safely Remove Hardware"?

I still think it is AHCI. And these are the only 2 drives connected to marvell controller. On top of that this is not a real problem. You probably do not have AHCI turned on for the Intel ports.

I appreciate the help. Would the setup that I have now cause a performance decrease with those two drives? How do I turn on AHCI for the Intel Ports? Would doing this increase performance?

Thanks

Would the setup that I have now cause a performance decrease with those two drives?

No. I do not think so. Although you may want to check the cache settings for these drives in DeviceManager.

How do I turn on AHCI for the Intel Ports?

In the BIOS. Be careful this may render your windows unbootable since there is a different driver used for AHCI versus IDE mode.

Would doing this increase performance?

It does so for SSDs. However I am not sure it makes much difference in Harddrives.

Last edited:
Any ideas why only two drives are showing up in "Safely Remove Hardware"?
It's definately because AHCI is enabled and AHCI will do nothing for convential HDs.

AHCI will enable Hotswap and I suggest you leave it alone. :)

Back