Votes: 6 11.5%
  • It's all relic's fault

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Other (please post and elaborate)

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

SmokeRngs

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008
Pretty simple question for the most part. I created a poll like this a while back but figured it was time for another one since it's been at least a couple years since the last one.

So why did you join the [H]orde? Pick your choices from the poll and expand on them here. I'd like to hear your reasons and I think many others would as well. It's always interesting and many times inspiring to hear what everyone has to say.

Don't hesitate to speak up and give me a couple minutes to get the poll setup.

I joined because I felt like it. It's not a big deal, my computer is always on anyway and a few watts isn't going to hurt anyone. Then my RAM died. <_< I didn't even get to finish a single damn WU before it spat out errors :(

Relic told me if I joined that I would get fame, fortune and hot chicks.....still waiting :p:D

It's all Relics fault.... I really don't remember how I first heard about it - probably saw a badge though. I do know that I've lost more than one family member to cancer including my mother and watched my dad enjoy a bit of Alzheimer's before he passed - those were my reasons for joining the effort.

I joined because I felt like it would be an opportunity for me to contribute something back to mankind in the form of folding protiens. Joining the [H]orde was a no-brainer...I used to process data for the [H] under the Genome@Home project several years back, and the [H]ard community was just as great to be a part of then as it is now.

On the surface this project might seem like points to some, but the reality is that we're all coming together for a damn good cause. The commradery and support of the [H]ard|Folding community makes working towards that goal enjoyable, challenging, and fun. ;)

I joined because I knew that this would be going towards something that is near and dear to me. I lost my mom to cancer and my wife lost her dad to cancer. Plus my wife's mom had cancer (beat it) and that makes my wife more prone to cancer. I do NOT want to lose my wife. Will we find a cure for cancer in our lifetime? Unknown, but for damn sure if I can do something about, I will.

Plus I really like a challenge and trying to catch you guys will certainly be fun

Why We DC

This is why I started folding. It really is all Relic's fault!

+2.

I read Relic's poems, that got me started.

Also I think I was lucky with my accident.
I may have lost an arm to a Tiger, but it was an accident at work so I got paid for it.
Plus it won't get better, but it won't get worse like cancer can.

Luck .......... :D

I went through a phase during the late pentium 3 and early pentium 4 days where i was really interested in over clocking so I used to lurk allot in the OC and cooling sub forum. Someone mentioned folding a couple times so i finally looked into it and tried it out. I've been running it on and off ever since. I can't remember when i first joined since the [H]ardfolding site only goes back to 4-23-05 which was the last database crash.

Its all relic's fault. Even though he was not active here during the time I started. Now that's power. :D

I read about F@H at the beginning of the decade when Stanford started the project but didn't participate right away until I saw it mentioned on this site's front page. I had already made the decision to participate, but needed that extra nudge to actually commit my machines for the cause. Kyle provided that extra nudge. :)

Other:

It's [H]
We fold
It's what we do.

hmmm, I suppose I should have chosen "It's all relic's fault". But I'd rather blame Bill and his pet goat.

Other:

It's [H]
We fold
It's what we do.

hmmm, I suppose I should have chosen "It's all relic's fault". But I'd rather blame Bill and his pet goat.

GoatS ex for the ......eeeeewwwwwhhh! :eek: :confused:

Other:

It's [H]
We fold
It's what we do.

You are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hung up on this goat fetish of yours.

I joined because after reading the front page and Kyle’s idea it seemed the right thing to do.

I met KillerMob, Majic, Kingn, Cable twin and relic on line and found each of them to be a bit on the competitive side.

The rest is history, and yes it was and still is and will remain relic’s fault.;):p

I was folding before for a different team but then I got into HardForum as a lurker for a little while and the DC Community got me back into Folding so here I am.

You are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hung up on this goat fetish of yours.

I joined because after reading the front page and Kyle’s idea it seemed the right thing to do.

I met KillerMob, Majic, Kingn, Cable twin and relic on line and found each of them to be a bit on the competitive side.

The rest is history, and yes it was and still is and will remain relic’s fault.;):p

I'ii let her know you think she looks like a goat. :p

I stumbled on it... I was thinking of loading seti and came accross this and read the forums some and decided since [H]ardOcp is my fav forum, due mainly to pleasant people and knowledgeable responses that I would take up the cause. I love to build computers too. So now that I have 6 boxes with 1 more being built this weekend I get to play with networking as a side benefit. In the end this was a much better cause!

I tried helping with getting folding going quite a while ago on some other forums. Nobody else really joined in so I eventually quit. A little while after joining here I started reading through the DC forum and decided to start folding again.

I am a biologist, so I had heard about folding @home, I just never looked into it. When I started frequenting [H] on a daily basis (or more, lol), I couldn't help but see how easy and [H] it is.
Now that I have a PC that is on all the time (my htpc) and is low power (I'm a poor college student), I started folding...

I joined because of the great community and one of my good friends told me about it and I figured why not.

+2.

I read Relic's poems, that got me started.

Also I think I was lucky with my accident.
I may have lost an arm to a Tiger, but it was an accident at work so I got paid for it.
Plus it won't get better, but it won't get worse like cancer can.

Luck .......... :D

and paid...... and paid..... and paid

Rightfully so. If I lost and arm, especially in the manner your did I'd want compensated too.

I'm just glad you have taken something that was truly horrible and turned it around to help others.

I may have lost an arm to a Tiger, but it was an accident at work so I got paid for it. Plus it won't get better, but it won't get worse like cancer can.
Wow, this is the first I read of your accident. All this time I thought your username was a simple alias. What exactly is your line of work?

I am a biologist, so I had heard about folding @home, I just never looked into it. When I started frequenting [H] on a daily basis (or more, lol), I couldn't help but see how easy and [H] it is.
Now that I have a PC that is on all the time (my htpc) and is low power (I'm a poor college student), I started folding...

Cool!

You are right! It is [H] !

I fold because too many love ones have had or died from cancer.
I find it to be a good cause and figured I minus well put my computers to good use :)
Hopefully it helps find a cure :D

Keep on foldin'!!!

I found Tigerbiten's comment on losing an arm and then joining team 33 folding quite moving :) Thank you Tigerbiten for folding!!

I joined because it was fun to pick on Rofty...was probably isn't the right word, it still is fun to pick on rofty.

While researching computer hardware on [H]ard|OCP, I saw reference to the
DC forum and folding. Went to his forum and have been folding ever since.

Motivation? Lost both parents to cancer. Lost departmental secretary to cancer.
I like to think that I and my recruits might contribute to the science
seeking a cure for cancer and other diseases that take people too young.

Go [H]orde!

I was participating in the SETI@Home project for a long time for the Aximsite team. Once I built my C2D rig, I decided to jump over to Folding@Home for [H]. A lot of it did have to do with the seemingly constant promotion on the main hardocp page, and I felt it was a better use of my CPU cycles since I leave my machine on 24/7. I'm glad I joined the [H]orde! Fold on!

Back