Why doesn't my 17" MacBook Pro want to keep the correct time?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
dumb question: why is it that my MacBook Pro won't keep the correct time? I've gone in to the system settings and I've told it to keep the time automatically with Apple. but for some reason, every time I reboot my laptop the time is off by 3 hours and I have to go to the settings and do it all over again.

I've both auto and manually setting the time, but it still doesn't work. what am I doing wrong?

I've noticed this on my 15" SR-MBP as well. If it's on a network that can pull NTP from Apple (or other source), it's fine. If I boot on a network whose firewall blocks NTP though - at work, for example - the time is almost never correct. Booting OS X with no network connection is a crap shoot. Sometimes the time is correct; sometimes it's a number of hours offset.

OS X also doesn't seem to want to pull time from my local AD domain controller at work. If I set it manually it's fine, but what a hassle. And it's consistently 3 hours ahead of local time. It's almost like it pulls time over the WAN from my AD MDC in Maryland (I'm in California). Hmmm...

It doesn't seem to have this problem when I boot Vista on the machine, as it pulls time from the local AD domain controller or from time.microsoft.com just fine, and doesn't lose its time when off-network. Gotta be some quirk with how Apple's NTP function operates, but I'm kind of stumped as to what the root cause could be. Not that I've spent any significant time trying to get to the bottom of it though, as it seems to be more of a nuisance than a real problem...
:confused:

-Brian

OS X ability to sync time correctly is pathetic. There has been a bug since day 1 of the Boot Camp beta where after switching back into OS X from Windows the machines time would be off, only for the autosync feature to take hours to correct itself.

REALLY hoping this is addressed in 10.5

the fix involves Windows, but it actually fixes the problem on the Mac side.

who knows........

OS X ability to sync time correctly is pathetic. There has been a bug since day 1 of the Boot Camp beta where after switching back into OS X from Windows the machines time would be off, only for the autosync feature to take hours to correct itself.

REALLY hoping this is addressed in 10.5

the worse thing is if the time is set far enough off xp wont automatically fix it. not sure about vista

Back