why no official vsync and triple buffering support?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Upgraded from HD4870 to HD6970, loaded up some games, terrible just terrible image tearing at 1920x1200. Read up on the problem and identified the lack of vsync and triple buffering as likely culprits.

Observation: Games don't have a vsync or triple buffer option in their settings even though the 3D engine they are using and modern hardware supports it.
Observation: CCC doesn't have a vsync or and only has triple buffer for OpenGL.

Question: Why is it that neither games nor official drivers provide the options necessary(!) to have a trouble-free gaming experience?

The Internet is full of posts that illustrate the problem, this isn't a single isolate occurence for someone who has some odd hardware/software combination. Why is this problem not officially addressed and folks have to resort to running D3DOverride and the like. That's just crazy.

If you want V-Sync and Triple Buffering in DX, use something like RadeonPro of D3DOverrider. They both have worked perfectly for me.

The reason it's not in the drivers by default is a mystery. My guess is that it's not a really highly demanded feature since most people care about only getting the highest framerate possible and would complain is they saw it being capped. There is also the issue with it possibly increasing mouse lag which a lot of people can't stand.

Last edited:
V-Sync Works for me in every title I've enabled it on (forced through CCC or in game). :confused:

It's just one of those things I've never had issues with.

Enabled V-Sync in Portal and control lag like mad. FPS are good but half a second pass before the character run forward when I press the key. (yes tried with and without triple buffering)

Back