why spend $400+ on a video card?

hfc said:
. . . And the average US household has got negative savings! don't ask what that means cos i don't know. . . .

I'm gonna go out on a limb here with a wild guess and say it means we are all in debt up to our eyeballs.

I paid around $300 my two cards, so in the end I have $600 in there (though obviously not worth that today). Right now I am just trying to make them last as long as possible.

Like many, my budget for my computer has gone up as has my income. In college I think I spent $600 or so for my total system and it was pretty nice and did what I wanted. If I were shopping right now I would likely go for the 8800GTS for $400, GTX is hardly worth it for me. "High end" game-play is addicting, hard to go back to jaggies and bumps. ;)

OP, remember that many of these guys who are buying the bleeding edge cards are also selling their bleeding edge card of 6 months ago to guys like you on ebay. Instead of $400 of 6 months, its more like $100 or $200

if you buy a video card for about 250$ you'd have to upgrade in 2 years (example) buy a video card for 500$ and upgrade in 5 years...see what I mean? thats just how I look at it.

master noran said:
if you buy a video card for about 250$ you'd have to upgrade in 2 years (example) buy a video card for 500$ and upgrade in 5 years...see what I mean? thats just how I look at it.

Thats what some do, and probably all should lol, but nope its gonna be $500 now and then again when the new and better card comes out.

If youve got the spare cash that youve worked hard for why in the hell would you not spend it in the things you love... hehe basically what a lot have said in this thread.

new power supply
-more RAM
-bigger hard drive
-sink more money into your monitor
-faster CPU (Core 2 e6400 is only about $200 !!)
-better motherboard
-penis enlarger
-a bear
-bear traps

because some people - $400 isnt alot of money.... ?
because some people - gaming is the #1 thing
because some people - they own high end displays with resolutions you cant imagine
because some people - like all the eye candy and details cranked
because some people - "add what ever your "own" reason is here

and the #1 reason!

because some people - JUST CAN!

master noran said:

5 years is pushing it too much. I think 3 is tops, 4 if you are really pushing it. I dont think today's game is even playable on GeForce3 Ti 500 which I think the top card 5 years ago

pillagenburn said:
i was just remembering what high end video cards used to cost so long ago... nowhere near the cost nowadays... it just seems wrong.

argh, when will people see hat parts offset each other

years ago - 128mb of ram was $200+
years ago - a 40g harddrive was $500+
years ago - ati AIW rage 128 32mb vid card was $300+
years ago - PIII 533 CPU was $300+

now look at things

now a days - cpu's are as cheap as $50
now a days - harddrives are cents / per gig, not dollars.
now a days - video cards cost more
now a days - memory is cheap (not right now though)

and so on

making a $2000 system years ago, got you a realtivly high end system
making a $2000 system now a days, still gets you a relativly high end system.

Elios said:
ORLY any one remember that the Voodoo5 and Geforce cards of that time cost >.>

Thats why Nvidia and AMD are in court too, but you know you can justify the cost....Or couldn't we take Creative, Intel, and so many more to court as well? BMW, any costly car

"But your products still fall in line with high prices"
"BUT YOU GET MORE DUDE...YOU JUST DON'T GET IT...........we make the 3 series....and nvidia makes the 8200 series"

Silicon manufacturing process, stability.........almost like a fine wine.

MrGuvernment,
Your right.........people bitched a good PC cost $2000-2500 with a CRT monitor back in the day......now you spend the same amount........and you get a good PC. In fact you spend less.....you still get a good PC.

Meh, I spent $430 on my 6800GT when it was launched. Sometimes I regret it, but then I think that I am still using the thing and it is still doing pretty damn well, considering. I dont even feel the need to upgrade it yet. Dont think Ill be upgrading it until this time next year, in fact.

So from june 2004 to december 2007 sounds like a pretty good run for $430... maybe Ill even streach it out to summer 08, depending on financial situation..

Why did I spend 400 bucks on my card?

1. Can't upgrade my comp anymore unless I go quad core.
2. My 2407wfp demands it
3. Because frankly, it's my godamn money and I can spend it however I godamn well please.
4.I want the best, and I can afford it.

(x1950xtx owner and proud of it, though the 8800gtx is lookin mighty tasty :p)

I'd like to point out that the Geforce 3 was $400 at its launch in Feb. 2001. I'm looking at my Newegg history right now and I bought the Elsa Gladiac 920, which was one of the least expensive models, at the end of June for $389. In October they finally fell below $300 when the Ti 500 came out.

I would say the 8800 GTX is overpriced because there is no competition for it and unfortunately that's the way NVIDIA is anymore. They also know that there are people that will buy it at this price.
The 8800 GTS is just $50 more than the Geforce 3 at its launch so it's hard to say that there is a huge price difference there.

My reasons:

1.) My 30" monitor needs to be run at 2560x1600 in order for games to look their best, this requires the best video cards money can buy, and usually two of them.

2.) Gaming and other computer related things are my #1 form of entertainment and I think the cost is justified given my present level of income.

3.) I buy $400+ video cards because I can.

To all the people bitching about video card prices, I have to say: "Get over it." The fact of the matter is nothing has changed. Uber high end machines are still $3,000+ dollars. This is true now, and it was true 5 or 10 years ago, and it will probably true in 5 years from now. The difference is, that $3k gets allocated differently. We spend less on hard drives and CPU, and more on video cards and motherboards. Ram pricing fluctuates like the stock market, and problably always will.

master noran said:

Except that's not how it works out. At all.

As rahavsmt mentioned, the top card 5 years ago at this time was the GeForce 3 Ti 500:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce3.html

Now, if you spent $500 on a GF3 Ti 500 in Dec. 2001, and didn't upgrade until now, you wouldn't be able to play any of the games that are out now at any decent settings(if at all).

If you sent $250 on some other card in 2001, and then $250 again in 2003, you'd be looking at the GeForce FX line. Not the top of it, but, well, have a look:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/e-vga_e-geforce_fx_5600_ultra/default.asp

Those benchmarks don't bother including a GF3-series card, but I'm sure it wouldn't matter anyway. In may of 2003 a 5600 ultra would have cost you $150. ["at the lower half of the mainstream segment (the $150 price point)"]

There are reasons to buy the fastest card on the block, but future-proofing isn't one of them.

I payed $650 for my 8800gtx and I dont regret it AT ALL. I love this card, definitely worth every penny. The step up from the previous generation is astounding.

Also why would you buy all those other things if you were a gamer? Better RAM? Most of the games performance is dependent off the video card, a 100mhz difference in ram speed isint going to do shit.

Also I run at 1920x1200 and that requires a pretty powerful video card.

rahavsmt said:
5 years is pushing it too much. I think 3 is tops, 4 if you are really pushing it. I dont think today's game is even playable on GeForce3 Ti 500 which I think the top card 5 years ago

that was just an example, I was just pointing out that for double the money you get double the card (not exactly double, but better) and thats all that really matters, want a card that will last you a while get a 600$ card, want one that'll last you a shorter time, go get a 300$ card.

Except that's not how it works out. At all.

As rahavsmt mentioned, the top card 5 years ago at this time was the GeForce 3 Ti 500:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce3.html

Now, if you spent $500 on a GF3 Ti 500 in Dec. 2001, and didn't upgrade until now, you wouldn't be able to play any of the games that are out now at any decent settings(if at all).

If you sent $250 on some other card in 2001, and then $250 again in 2003, you'd be looking at the GeForce FX line. Not the top of it, but, well, have a look:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware...tra/default.asp

Those benchmarks don't bother including a GF3-series card, but I'm sure it wouldn't matter anyway. In may of 2003 a 5600 ultra would have cost you $150. ["at the lower half of the mainstream segment (the $150 price point)"]

There are reasons to buy the fastest card on the block, but future-proofing isn't one of them.

I guess some peoples common sense would help them realize that my numbers were just examples, things that I pulled out of my ass but I guess I was wrong.

For some people, spending a few thousand on a computer is not a huge deal. (I'm not one of them ;_; )

For most people, top end cards probably aren't worth it, as the performance increase is typically marginal. Though with the 8xxx series, the midrange cards are still yet to come >.<

NightRaven said:
For some people, spending a few thousand on a computer is not a huge deal. (I'm not one of them ;_; )

For most people, top end cards probably aren't worth it, as the performance increase is typically marginal. Though with the 8xxx series, the midrange cards are still yet to come >.<

Agreed.

A friend of mine got an HP machine the other day for $500.00 with a free 17" LCD. He threw in a Geforce 7300GT and an extra 512MB of ram, and he couldn't be happier with the results. He's playing BF2 and enjoying the shit out of it.

We added up how much money my machine costs, (At original prices for older components like my Raptors which obviously aren't as valuable today.) just to see how much my system cost in comparison. Figuring tax, monitors and peripherals, the amount of money spent was more than 5x what he spent on his machine.

The amount of money my machine cost was staggering to him. To me, it's money well spent. Of course it doesn't hurt that much of the machines cost was offset with a freebie hear and there, but still all the money I did spend, is money I'd spend again if put in the position of needing a new computer tomorrow. Even so, he simply can't comprehend spending that kind of coin for a comptuer.

Dan_D said:
Agreed.

A friend of mine got an HP machine the other day for $500.00 with a free 17" LCD. He threw in a Geforce 7300GT and an extra 512MB of ram, and he couldn't be happier with the results. He's playing BF2 and enjoying the shit out of it.

We added up how much money my machine costs, (At original prices for older components like my Raptors which obviously aren't as valuable today.) just to see how much my system cost in comparison. Figuring tax, monitors and peripherals, the amount of money spent was more than 5x what he spent on his machine.

The amount of money my machine cost was staggering to him. To me, it's money well spent. Of course it doesn't hurt that much of the machines cost was offset with a freebie hear and there, but still all the money I did spend, is money I'd spend again if put in the position of needing a new computer tomorrow. Even so, he simply can't comprehend spending that kind of coin for a comptuer.

I got an Hp740N (1.6ghz p4, 256mb pc2100, sis integrated graphics) for free, and I threw in some used RAM (1gb pc2700) $50, CPU (2.53ghz p4) $50, and I went and bought a $129 7600GS (AGP).

Sure I could RUN oblivion... but was it enjoyable for me? Not in the least. So I sold that (for a nice profit) and built something I really wanted instead of trying to "make do". Sure it cost quite a bit, but it's something that I use everyday, will be fast for a long time, and lets me do the thing I enjoy: play 3d computer games. It won't always be "top of the line" but nothing ever is.

I don't really get the $500 computer to barely play a game well now. Chances are, in 6 months to a year, your friends HP won't play any of the new games at all. And if he wants to, he'll have to spend more $$$ on a new computer or graphics card.

I don't know why we ever started, or encouraged this thread; but I wanted to add that the introductory posts had me holding my chest I was laughing so hard.

PS... is he ever going to get his $200 bear?

Why spend $400 on anything? This argument really isn't that specific to video cards.

Like most other things, the expensive kit is better quality and some people want better quality kit, In this case (no pun intended) it runs faster and has more features.

keldegar said:
I got an Hp740N (1.6ghz p4, 256mb pc2100, sis integrated graphics) for free, and I threw in some used RAM (1gb pc2700) $50, CPU (2.53ghz p4) $50, and I went and bought a $129 7600GS (AGP).

Sure I could RUN oblivion... but was it enjoyable for me? Not in the least. So I sold that (for a nice profit) and built something I really wanted instead of trying to "make do". Sure it cost quite a bit, but it's something that I use everyday, will be fast for a long time, and lets me do the thing I enjoy: play 3d computer games. It won't always be "top of the line" but nothing ever is.

I don't really get the $500 computer to barely play a game well now. Chances are, in 6 months to a year, your friends HP won't play any of the new games at all. And if he wants to, he'll have to spend more $$$ on a new computer or graphics card.

I know. But at that point he can probably do a new power supply, and maybe a new video card and CPU if he wanted to. Or go with another sub $1000 machine configuration.

Dan_D said:
I know. But at that point he can probably do a new power supply, and maybe a new video card and CPU if he wanted to. Or go with another sub $1000 machine configuration.

but then it's an HP, oem bios, unconfigurable, proprietary case etc. Then you would need a new windows install, etc.

Of course it depends on a case by case basis, but performance wise..

a $1000 system will most likely outlast 2 $500 systems, and have much greater performance in the beginning. I think $1500 is the sweet spot right now for Core 2 systems. That's roughly how much I spent (monitor not included, tho).

very high end machines are a different story, because performance on the top-end does not scale with pricing very well. (ie, 15% performance increase, 100% price increase).

To each his own, I guess.

Dear Sir,

If I do not receive my bear post-haste, I will be forced to lodge a complaint with the BBB and FTC.
Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
Mark

pillagenburn said:
I dunno about you guys, but I dunno why I was even thinking of spending $400 on a new GPU..... it's just not worth it to me, and I even consider myself a gamer! That's why I'm limiting my video card spending to $200-250 TOPS.

Just think about all of the things you could buy for $400... or with the extra $150-200 if you set a budget.

-sink more money into your monitor
-faster CPU (Core 2 e6400 is only about $200 !!)

If I sink more money into my monitor, I'll probably want a higher-end graphics card. Case in point --I bought a Dell 2407WFP 24" widescreen display, and suddenly found that I can't really game at the image-quality level that I'd like to at 1920x1200 with the graphics card you're telling me about.

As for the CPU, you should read some more articles, IMO. Take AMD's Athlon 64 X2 3800+ entry-level CPU. Add a Geforce 8800GTS. Then compare it with a Core2 E6400 running with a Geforce 7950GTS. The 8800GTS system will win hands down for best quality gaming at a higher resolution, with more eye-candy turned on. The graphics card matters far more than the CPU in this equation.

P.S. Can you really get bears for $200? I'd love to have one in my yard to take care of the people who seem to keep walking their dogs there without cleaning up after them (don't they know how to use a plastic bag or a pooper scooper?). The dogs = free food for the bear so I won't have to buy meat for it. Hmm, now I just have to find out if I can litter-train a bear....

factory81 said:
Why buy...whatever memory floats your boat, instead of......Buttram Tech or something?
I want to see this company's website, can you send me a URL?;)

Sorry...if there WAS such a company, I just have to think the website would be pretty friggin' hilarious.

(that, and I'm far too easily amused)

I find the motivation for threads like this fascinating. When others are willing to pay a higher price for more performance, it seems to create this need among those who can't/won't afford it to point out how they can't/won't afford it. But, in so doing, I think they're working through their own sense of outrage that there is something out there that they really want.

I'm fortunate enough that I can afford the 8800gtx. And I'm fortunate that I have a wife who isn't yet with child so we could spend the money on a new rig rather than baby stuff. :D

Everyone said I was crazy for having my 53" TV five years ago. And everyone always says that I'm crazy for spending all that money on my 5.1 surround setup. They would never spend that much on a TV or home theater. It's just crazy!

But, it's worth it to me because I thoroughly enjoy media (whether it be computer-based or home theater-based) when I'm experiencing it at its best. I don't like to think while I'm trying to enjoy "the bass could be better" or "the resolution could be higher."

And, funny thing, all those people that would call me crazy for spending so much on such things. . . they all come around to watch their movies or sporting events on my setup. :D

Well, they used to, before I got married. :p

Why would I spend $400 on a Video Card? Simply because it allows me to mushroom stamp your forehead with my e-penis.

Oh and the fact that I only build a computer once every 2 or 3 years so I like to have something that will last me a few years before I'm forced to upgrade again. Its simply a matter of finding a way to justify the price, and for me the justification is longevity.

LoneWolf said:
If I sink more money into my monitor, I'll probably want a higher-end graphics card. Case in point --I bought a Dell 2407WFP 24" widescreen display, and suddenly found that I can't really game at the image-quality level that I'd like to at 1920x1200 with the graphics card you're telling me about.

As for the CPU, you should read some more articles, IMO. Take AMD's Athlon 64 X2 3800+ entry-level CPU. Add a Geforce 8800GTS. Then compare it with a Core2 E6400 running with a Geforce 7950GTS. The 8800GTS system will win hands down for best quality gaming at a higher resolution, with more eye-candy turned on. The graphics card matters far more than the CPU in this equation.

P.S. Can you really get bears for $200? I'd love to have one in my yard to take care of the people who seem to keep walking their dogs there without cleaning up after them (don't they know how to use a plastic bag or a pooper scooper?). The dogs = free food for the bear so I won't have to buy meat for it. Hmm, now I just have to find out if I can litter-train a bear....

I agree 100%. The CPU doesn't make as much of a difference as the video card does.

If you have a larger monitor, you need more powerful to make games run effectively on it.

I use to be the same way "I would never spend $400 on a videocard". But then again its only money, sad then is I do not really game. But when I do, that 1920x1200 with everything maxed out looks pretty... One reason that I am doing my MBA other than self improvement, is so I can afford nice toys...

I also cannot understand the people who spend 400 on a video-card.
It is much better to spend 600 and get the 8800gtx.
I went this way and so i am able to drive my 3007 at native resolution. :D

willi42 said:
I also cannot understand the people who spend 400 on a video-card.
It is much better to spend 600 and get the 8800gtx.
I went this way and so i am able to drive my 3007 at native resolution. :D

damn straight up! i gotta get an 8800gtx to drive my apple cinema 30" at its native resolution... my 7900GTO's in SLI isnt cutting it anymore...

Annnnnd...this entire debate is exactly why I recently sold half of my SLI and invested in a Xbox 360. Wise investment. ;)

Back