Why the 256-bit memory bus ?

Mortuus

[H]ard|Gawd
I still cannot understand why the new GT/GTS have a 256bit bus compared to the 320bit on the older gts cards. Or do game not benefit from a higher bus or something ? Its still weird they lowered it, same the memory old gts 640mb and new 512mb..:confused:

I imagine, that they determined that for newer games, memory is not the bottleneck, and the bandwidth the larger bus provides is being under utilized. It's a waste, and that transistor resources are better utilized in other areas. Such as more stream processors for stronger raw GPU/shader performance.

It's also much cheaper, and easier to design PCB's, and it requires fewer memory IC's. Cheaper all around with little to no impact on performance.

Why care? The performance of the GT with 256bit, trumps the GTS with the 320bit bus. If the performance is there, does it matter...

It's like with AMD vs. Intel. AMD has "native quad-core" and a fancy integrated memory controller. But the performance isn't there, so most enthusiasts don't really care.

8800GTS G80 320-bit 320MB @ 800MHz DDR (1600MHz effective) = 64.0GB/s bandwidth
8800GTS G92 256-bit 512MB @ 900MHz DDR (1800MHz effective) = 57.6GB/s bandwidth (10% less bandwidth, but 60% more memory)

Why? As pointed out above, it's cheaper to make the PCB and it uses fewer memory parts.

Don't just go by the specifications. The G92 8800GTS and 8800GT destroy the old G80 8800GTS, even in higher resolutions and with AA enabled. http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1234/5/page_5_benchmarks_half_life_2_episode_one_hdr/index.html

I still cannot understand why the new GT/GTS have a 256bit bus compared to the 320bit on the older gts cards. Or do game not benefit from a higher bus or something ? Its still weird they lowered it, same the memory old gts 640mb and new 512mb..:confused:

Simple: production costs.
To trace 320 bit and 384 bit memory paths, is an expensive and difficult process. And it becomes even more difficult as they decrease their fab process (currently at 65 nm for NVIDIA). 384 bit or even a future 512 bit memory interface, will be reserved for their next high-end products, which will obviously be more expensive than any GT or GTS 512.

Back