why the dell 2001fp sucks (in pictures!)

Apparently this site has spoiled me once again. I have just bought Dell 2001FP last week. Been using it for a week now. I have about 8 dead pixels that I noticed, but only on black screen. 5 pixels of which are not noticable unless I am looking directly at it. If I didn't read any of the forums about this monitor, I wouldn't have notice most of these dead pixels. I am still deciding weather or not I should learn to live with it or return it for a full refund. I have e-mailed to Dell Customer service, the funny thing was that they sent me this reply:

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

I have gone through your e-mail and I understand that there are 8 dead
pixels on the LCD Monitor. I understand your concern on this and I will
try my best to resolve the same at the earliest.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the problem you are
experiencing. Please follow the instructions given below to resolve the
problem.

1. Attempt to clean the flat panel.

Attempt to clean the flat panel using an appropriate clean solution and
soft, clean cloth. Please refer the below website link for this.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=FA1011125

Please follow the steps given below if you are unable to view the Dell
website link: -

* Log on to www.support.dell.com
* Under 'Consumer' Section, click 'Home and Home Office'.
* If listed, click on 'Troubleshooting (Dell KB)'.
* Type in your Service Tag (Press Enter).
* Now copy and paste the link in the address bar of the browser and
click on 'Go'.

2. Determine what type of pixel problem.

Determine what type of pixel problem exists. The different types of
pixel problems are listed below.

Black or Dead pixels: Characterized by dark spots on the display.
Bright or White pixels: Characterized by very bright or white spots on
the display.
Incorrectly or Discolored pixels: Characterized by different color
being displayed then what is suppose to be. (e.g. green spots on red
background)

3. Rub or massage the bad pixel.

Most bad pixels, whether white, black, or discolored, can be fixed by
rubbing or massaging the panel.

4. Locate the bad pixel.
Using a clean, soft cloth, lightly tap the flat panel pixel.
Apply light pressure using the cloth to the pixel and rub or massage in
a circular motion around the pixel.

If the problem persists, please e-mail me with the result of the above
trouble shooting and I will be glad to help you.

Thank you for choosing Dell. Have a nice day.

Respectfully,
Ryan
DT D28448
Dell Technical Support

I was wondering if any of you have tried these method, I am afraid of scratching the screen.

Don't you know that if mxpxrulzz has a problem with something then the whole world will have the same problem. He is a fortune teller for all monitors sold by Dell. He "is" the authority on all monitors now.

Hail to the monitor God mxpxrulzz , all Dell 2001fp's must be flawed!!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing a 15 inch LCD to a 20 inch is retarded!!!!!!!!!

This monitor and the 14 others 2001 fp's in my company do not have these problems, but we are all blind and should not go by what we see. We must all base our opinion on what mxpxrulzz has experienced, he demands it!!!!!

DO not buy DO not buy!!!!!!!!!! 200 of the 10000 of these monitors are bad oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had my 2001fp for almost a year now. No dead or stuck pixels - never seen any "burn in" Games great :D no complaints here. Just got 2 new ones for work too and they are both perfect...

*shrug* I love the 2001fp's

Ello chaps, it's interesting to read this thread - I got my 2001FP a couple of days ago, and although I only have two bad/stuck/dead pixels (one green, one black), which I can live with - the backlight I get from all 4 corners and very, very noticeable. ... to a degree where playing a dark game like Doom3 is really annoying. Is this a common issue?

From the posts it seems that people only usually have problems with one or two corners

Thanks

Just want to chime in, had my 2001FP for 7 or 8 months now. No stuck pixels, no backlighting issues and no "screen door" (that is unless i put my face a foot from the monitor.)

Gog said:
Ello chaps, it's interesting to read this thread - I got my 2001FP a couple of days ago, and although I only have two bad/stuck/dead pixels (one green, one black), which I can live with - the backlight I get from all 4 corners and very, very noticeable. ... to a degree where playing a dark game like Doom3 is really annoying. Is this a common issue?

From the posts it seems that people only usually have problems with one or two corners

Thanks

I'd exchange it. I went through 3 exchanges before I got the "perfect" LCD. Not really looking forward to doing that again, but a second LCD is needed :)

JGene said:
Actually LCDs and plasmas can suffer from both image retension and permanent burn-in. LCDs don't have any phosphors so they cannot burn in per-se, however they can have long-lasting effects if the screen has a DC electrical leakage problem. LCD burn in is exorbantly rare but still happens often enough that many LCD manufacturers will know what it is if it happens.

Plasmas on the other hand will actually have ghosting so burn-in isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be. That said plasma is still ill-suited to HTPC use with a heavy emphasis of your time being in a Windows/Linux/whatever desktop environment.

from what i have heard...

only crt's are capable of genuine burning... but this is very rare indeed. used to be that when rendering graphics, it took literally 2 days to do it... so you would tell it to render on a friday, and have the image on monday sometime...

but computers would often have the same exact screen image on for literally months at a time. the electron beam would eventually start eating away at the glass of the monitor. that's monitor burn. you can see it at particularly cheap atms these days.

I have the older 2000FP, never noticed any ghosting in games despite the 25ms rated response time. I still have the 16x12, never noticed any stuck pixels, even against white/black 16x12 images in paint; never had ANY "burn-in".

Biggest annoyance is having dust and dirt show up...

just had to brag...

mxpxrulzz said:
The fp2001 is the most overated pos i have ever owned.

umm, I didnt bother to read through all of the pages in this thread but I will say this.

I think you got a dud for a monitor because there are TONS and TONS of satisfied 2001FP owners (like myself) who have been very happy with our LCDs.

but whatever... its your money and if you wanna say that the 2001FP sucks then I guess you have that right to say that.

even though what you say is NOT true (about the LCD being over rated), I guess you still have the right into saying that.

GLSauron said:
I have the older 2000FP, never noticed any ghosting in games despite the 25ms rated response time. I still have the 16x12, never noticed any stuck pixels, even against white/black 16x12 images in paint; never had ANY "burn-in".

same here.

I think the guy just got a dud for a monitor and now he's mad at the world so he'll probably be bad mouthing this monitor forever... oh well.

as for your dust issues, thats just a fact of life that we all have to deal with.

I just use a feather duster that I wipe across my screen twice a week and it works like a charm. ;)

GLSauron said:

Biggest annoyance is having dust and dirt show up...

just had to brag...

Ditto. I bought TWO 2001FPs and both SUCKED. The first one had 8 stuck 'on' pixels and horrible uneven backlighting on the top-right. I exchanged it for another one and that one had worse backlighting problems and I stopped counting stuck pixels at 6 since I wasn't keeping it. add to that the problems exchanging (they hung up on me when she was giving me the RMA # and had to go through it all AGAIN) and after I returned them both and NEVER got credited I called. They couldn't find that EITHER monitor had been returned and claimed an RMA hadn't been set up on the second one and I said YOU ARRANGED UPS PICKUP AT MY DOOR FOR THE 2ND MONITOR SO YOU 100% GUARANTEED DID A RMA ON IT. :mad: There was 10 seconds of silence on the other end. :rolleyes: I swear.

anyway, I still have my 2000FP and love it. NO ghosting. I watch all my hdtv, regular tv, and play all my games it and it works superbly :cool:

Also NO burn in whatsoever. I've had the same background on it for two years so if it existed then it would be there.

i just got a 2001fp and everything is perfect

:D
dont even have the backlighting problem on anandtech
maybe the newer production 2001fps dont have the problems the old ones did

particle9 said:
You guys are all nuts.

I have one of these monitors and it looks fantastic and has absolutely nothing wrong with it. The "screen door" effect that you guys are whining about is the result of a digital precision monitor that doesn't fuzz up and bleed like CRT monitors do. There are like 1.6 million pixels on this monitor and you expect me to believe that from two feet away you can see spaces inbetween them? I call bull shit.

Maybe you got a lemon. It happens, get over it. There are thousands of posts all over the internet of people who love this monitor. That is why Dell is fantastic in that you can return your monitor for another one if you are a compulsive worry wart who has to have a "perfect" monitor. Your ghosting claims/pixel claims/screendoor claims might be true for you but for the 99% of people out there (including numerous reviews by reputable sites, ie anandtech) the monitor works great.

My opinion, don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

I got mine yesterday and love my foggin 2001FP. It is a beautiful thing. Gaming is solid on this baby. Feels like im playing on a projector since its so dam huge!!! My only problem with my FP is that movies some movies when sitting 1 1/2 feet from the monitor (whilest calibrating brightness) I noticed some light patterns in teh middle of the monitor flickering. I than went back into my watching movies pimp position and I could not see it anymore. The picture is absolutely beautiful in my opinion. After reading all the screen checkered post, I had to really come face to face with this baby to notice it. I do have 20/20. Folks shit happens. Just like when i ordered my Abit AV8 and the bish didnt boot my 3200+ 939. My point is we all cant be winners. But Dell does back up thier product pretty good. Im not a graphic artist, but i find images to be vibrant. I came from using a sony 21" monitor. That dam thing was a space heater, so i went with this since it fell below $600. Oh yeah I forgot to tell you that the flicker that i noticed when adjusting the color and brightness settings was only on Shrek for some reason. I read on a Dell Forum that it has to do with the movies "transfer" quality. Whatever teh fauk that means. They did however give a good example. I put in Lord of the rings an I saw no flicker when I was checking for it. Like I said, I backed up a little bit and I couldnt notice the flicker. WIerd. Anyways. I just wanted to give the 2001FP its propers.

no problems here

2005fpw2.jpg

2005fpw1.jpg

BrandonClaps said:
no problems here

http://home.usadatanet.net/bclaps/2005fpw2.jpg[/img
[img]http://home.usadatanet.net/bclaps/2005fpw1.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Stop trying to show off. We don't care if you have money to throw away.

I've had the 2001fp since April, and I really dont have a problem with it...w/e though to each their own...

The problems with the 2001FP are:
The price has gotten so low it's cheap (<$600), and I keep putting off buying more till Dell pays me :)
Can't do stereo because of refresh rate.
I've only got a dual AGP slot and can't run 3 monitors without a big upgrade.
Of the 20 or so I manage for the last year (?) 1 had a problem and it took Dell two days to ship a replacement.

This is why I will not pay 4x more for an inferior product! It's not worth it just to save 12" of space.

Back