Will a 9800 Pro save itself if the fan dies?

Read about the unreliable HSF on the 9800 Pro, and it's been making funny noises since I removed it yesterday and then put it back in. I figure that it might have been going bad, and now that it's been jostled around it might really be ready to kick the bucket. So my question is this: Will the card turn itself off if the fan dies and it gets too hot, or will it die a fiery death?

If it dies or I replace it proactively, what should I get? I understand a Zalman VF-700 or 900 is the best, but is there something that won't stick out farther than the standard HSF? I have a Wi-Fi PCI card that I'd like to leave in there, but if there aren't any good single slot solutions then I have a USB one I can use instead.

arthur_tuxedo said:
will it die a fiery death?

Yep. Mine did.

My wife has a Thermalright V1 on her 9800pro, and it's worked well for quite a while.

I have a 2004.4 M Y 9800 Pro AIW 128MB with samsung RAM.

I havent heard any oddities from my card. but ill check it tonight.

Does this effect a certain batch or no?

Most fans are only rated to last about 40,000 hours. And even that is not a guarantee. So it can happen to any card or anything that has a fan in it.

Not much you can do other than prey that your device doesn't cook itself when the fan dies.

Just listen for the loud "whinning" sound to stop, then shutdown your computer and replace it ;)

Also, you can run run a utility to moniter the temp, so you might have some warning before it dies.

Mine started with the fan making a squealing noise right before I started getting major artifacts. Luckily I was sitting at the computer when it went south. I was able to power down before major damage was done...a few more seconds and it would have fried the card. I did a ghetto replacement with a 60mm I had on hand. Been working ever since.

Yes a 9800PRO will cook itself... I have one, nice and toasty. Currently shopping for a replacement myself. :(

I replaced the fan with a better fan i had in house. a vantec I believe. slightly larger, but only 3% more power consumption.

its even quieter.

DeepFreeze said:
I have a 2004.4 M Y 9800 Pro AIW 128MB with samsung RAM.

I havent heard any oddities from my card. but ill check it tonight.

Does this effect a certain batch or no?
Exact card I have and I have a lot of problems with it. I dont understand why it wont fully kick the bucket to give me a excess to spend money on a new computer. It artifacts in any direct X 9 game so I have to force it into direct X 8.1 or 7 and if I cant than I'm screwed. Fans been making noises last few weeks and still hasnt died. Stockheat sucks balls. I also put new thermal paste(arctic silver 5). 9800 XTX series was the last ATI card to leave the factory without a temp sensor.

Back