Votes: 64 26.6%
  • AMD and intel will level out with each other

Votes: 163 67.6%
  • AMD will take over the market

Votes: 14 5.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Intel has all the things you list, and has more of them. And has more things.

^^ These threads are just asking for trolling and flame wars.

[grabs popcorn]

For all the nonsensensical 'AMD will fail' this and that will fail sillies out there here is some more info. Point is, most sane people do not want AMD to fail, nor Intel, nor Sun, nor ITT, etc. etc. etc., because all these corporations contribute to the advancement of computer science and technology and consumer and business productivity, as well as providing jobs for thousands of people.

All these 'fail this and that' types are very immature and are like some rabid religous or sports fanatic that has lost sight of realities and what is actually important.

http://finance.comcast.net/stocks/news_body.html?ID_NOTATION=252218&ID_NEWS=100885453

AMD Demonstrates Live Migration between Three AMD Opteron(TM) Processor Generations with Industry-Leading Virtualization Capabilities
03/24/2009 00:16:01
Microsoft, Sun Utilize AMD-V(TM) Technology to Drive Leading Virtualization Products and Performance
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Mar 24, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Continuing its momentum and leadership in virtualization technology, Advanced Micro

Devices, Inc. (NYSE: AMD) today released the first video and images demonstrating live migration across three generations of AMD processors

on VMware ESX 3.5, including the Six-Core AMD Opteron(TM) processor code-named "Istanbul." Live Migration of virtual machines across physical

servers is key to providing superior flexibility for managing today's data centers. Additionally, AMD is highlighting its continued,

cooperative development efforts with Microsoft as evidenced in Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V(TM), which is available today as a beta and

adds support for AMD-V(TM) technology with Rapid Virtualization Indexing. The new 45nm Quad-Core AMD Opteron processor provides scalable

performance for both Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 and has received support from all four global OEMs.

"The AMD ecosystem of hardware and software partners like Microsoft, Sun and VMware illustrates a strong confidence in the advanced

virtualization capabilities AMD-V offers," said Margaret Lewis, director, Commercial Solutions, AMD. "Enabled in part by RVI, Live Migration

across our 65-nm and 45-nm Quad-Core and upcoming Six-Core AMD Opteron processors provides further evidence of the flexibility of AMD-V

technology for data center customers upgrading their systems."

Last week Sun Microsystems posted a new 8P, 32-core world-record result on the VMmark benchmark, measuring the performance and scalability of

applications running in virtualized environments based on VMware products. This top VMmark score was achieved on a Sun Fire(TM) X4600 M2

server powered by Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors. More information on leading VMmark scores for 2P, 4P and 8P AMD Opteron processor-based

systems can be found at http://links.amd.com/a3zb.

About AMD

Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and partners to ignite the

next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.

(C) 2009 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Opteron, AMD-V and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro

Devices, Inc. Other names are used for informational purposes and may be trademarks of their respective owners. Sun, Sun Microsystems, the

Sun logo and Sun Fire are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other

countries.

SOURCE: Advanced Micro Devices

AMD Product Communications
Julie Lass, 512-602-9934
[email protected]
or
Ruth Cotter, 408-749-3887 (IR)
[email protected]opyright Business Wire 2009

http://finance.comcast.net/stocks/news_body.html?ID_NOTATION=252218&ID_NEWS=71902626

PowerStream Helping AMD to Save More Than Just Data
03/20/2009 07:49:06
Technology company expected to save $150,000 in annual electricity costs
YORK REGION, ONTARIO, Mar 20, 2009 (Marketwire via COMTEX News Network) -- AMD (NYSE:AMD), an industry-leading technology company which

designs computing and graphics solutions, expects to see a large reduction in their electricity bill this year at their Markham location

thanks to the Data Centre Incentive Program (DCIP), a conservation initiative pioneered by their local electricity distribution company

PowerStream with the support of the Ontario Power Authority (OPA).

PowerStream's DCIP initiative, offers financial incentives to participating commercial customers with data centres. Companies that reduce

electricity consumption by way of server consolidations or the installation of energy-efficient servers and other computer equipment are

eligible to receive financial incentives of $300 per kilowatt saved.

The AMD Markham location was one of the first PowerStream customers to participate in the pilot program, and is now expected to achieve

annual savings of at least $150,000. The successful pilot has enabled PowerStream and Toronto Hydro, another electric utility which now

offers a similar program, to extend this new initiative to other companies within their respective service territories.

"We are pleased to have introduced such a successful conservation program," said Patrick Guran, Chief Energy Conservation Officer at

PowerStream. "The technology now exists that can transform data centres into more energy-efficient operational areas for businesses. We are

pleased to be able to provide incentives that enable this to happen, which ultimately helps to protect the environment."

AMD Markham had impressive results from the pilot program; the company downsized the number of server racks in one of its data centres by

nearly 50% and reduced its electricity demand by 200 kilowatts while increasing the overall computing capacity.

"AMD Markham believes that climate change is a significant environmental challenge and we are dedicated to reducing our impact on the

environment," says Richard Conohan, Program Manager, Toronto Environmental Health and Safety, AMD. "Participating in the Data Centre

Incentive Program has helped us do this while simultaneously reducing our energy costs."

Through DCIP, participants see immediate and on-going financial savings with reduced energy consumption, as well as the reduction of

associated carbon emissions.

PowerStream launched the pilot for the Data Centre Incentive Program in May 2008 with more than six businesses responding.

About AMD

Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE:AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to

ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.

About PowerStream

PowerStream is the second largest municipally-owned electricity distribution company in Ontario, providing service to more than 315,000

residential and business customers in Alliston, Aurora, Barrie, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Beeton, Markham, Penetanguishene, Richmond Hill,

Thornton, Tottenham and Vaughan. It is an incorporated entity, jointly owned by the municipalities of Barrie, Markham and Vaughan.

SOURCE: PowerStream Inc.

Media Contact:
PowerStream Inc.
Eric Fagen
Director, Corporate Communications
(905) 532-4522 or Media Line (24/7): (905) 532-4400
[email protected]pyright (C) 2009 Marketwire. All rights reserved.

Cyrix I don't believe paid Intel licensing fees.
For which they were sued by Intel and lost a lot of money.
This may also show that Intel does try to monopolize.
Every company tries to monopolize. Whenever you hear about a company trying to increase its "market share", it's the same thing as them trying to lock other companies out of the same market in order to obtain a monopoly. The ideal situation for every company is to be dominant in a market without any competition, because they make more money that way. You can't criticize Intel for doing that because it's simply how the market works.
so today in both 32-bit and 64-bit we have x86 exisitng in not its original form.
There have been many extensions to the x86 instruction set over the years (things like MMX, 3DNow!, and SSE are all extensions). However, the base x86 instructions are the same as they were when it was first introduced. x86-64 is an extension just like all the other ones.
There may be some time limit and/or some other clauses concerning these matters despite patents etc., as is sometimes the case with these situations.
Nope. Not as long as Intel is still around, anyway.
With the new and cool running and eneregy efficient and baclward mobo compatible Shanghai CPU's and the upcoming Istanbul and beyond, coupled with the new and hoepefully successful FAB 2 in plant in NY and AMD/GF's intention to make 3-types of chip silicon - they wish to sell Bulk Silicon to other CPU makers and for RAM etc. - things may pick-up and in a few years things will be rolling OK. In a few years AMD will have 32nm and 22nm CPU's, some with onboard graphics using ITT (I think it is ITT) Z-RAM and IBM and AMD intend on using enhanced SOI for top-end CPU's and HighK Silicon for energy efficient CPU's and Bulk Silicon for mainstream CPU's. The fact that IBM is in collaboration with AMD and that both feel that SOI is still the way to go for high end CPU's always may be indicative of upcoming and effective enhancement of SOI. Time will tell.
Intel is still doing much better than AMD on all of those fronts. And although AMD has big plans, it remains to be seen whether the tiny amount of resources they have is enough to actually put those plans into action.
people probably won't get VT with the lower and mid end 15's as they do on the AMD CPU's.
People buying lower and mid-end i5s won't need VT-x anyway. Although I agree that it would be nice if Intel included VT-x across their entire lineup. We don't know yet what they will end up doing with i5, so it's still possible that they'll keep it in those chips.

A consumer does not get VT on E7200 and below Conroe type CPU's, whereas a consumer gets VT on all AMD multicore CPU's. Many people use and need VT.

A consumer does not get VT on E7200 and below Conroe type CPU's, whereas a consumer gets VT on all AMD multicore CPU's.
I know. Did you actually read my post? I specifically acknowledged that and even said that I wish Intel would include VT-x on all their CPUs. However, the vast majority of people buying budget CPUs have no need whatsoever for virtualization, so it isn't that big of a deal that the lower-end CPUs don't have it.

For which they were sued by Intel and lost a lot of money.

Every company tries to monopolize. Whenever you hear about a company trying to increase its "market share", it's the same thing as them trying to lock other companies out of the same market in order to obtain a monopoly. The ideal situation for every company is to be dominant in a market without any competition, because they make more money that way. You can't criticize Intel for doing that because it's simply how the market works.

There have been many extensions to the x86 instruction set over the years (things like MMX, 3DNow!, and SSE are all extensions). However, the base x86 instructions are the same as they were when it was first introduced. x86-64 is an extension just like all the other ones.

Nope. Not as long as Intel is still around, anyway.

Intel is still doing much better than AMD on all of those fronts. And although AMD has big plans, it remains to be seen whether the tiny amount of resources they have is enough to actually put those plans into action.

People buying lower and mid-end i5s won't need VT-x anyway. Although I agree that it would be nice if Intel included VT-x across their entire lineup. We don't know yet what they will end up doing with i5, so it's still possible that they'll keep it in those chips.

When was Cyrix/IBM sued by Intel???

Some people need VT, in fact, many people use VT and opt for well priced and ggod performing AMD CPU's.

Yeah, AMD64 is an extension to x86 as I previously stated, and Intel and consumers should be thankful for it.

Anyone can criticize anything for whatever reason(s). You are wrong again.

Intel doesn't put VT in all of its multicore CPU's like AMD does because Intel simply wants to charge more for VT. Overall, AMD offers a more versatile CPU for less cost.

Point is that people will buy what they want or need to buy, regardles of fahboyism and additional silliness. ;)

When was Cyrix/IBM sued by Intel???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrix#Legal_troubles
Unlike AMD, Cyrix had never manufactured or sold Intel designs under a negotiated license. Cyrix's designs were the result of meticulous in-house reverse engineering. Thus, while AMD's 386s and even 486s had some Intel-written microcode software, Cyrix's designs were completely independent. Focused on removing potential competitors, Intel spent many years in legal battles with Cyrix, claiming that the Cyrix 486 violated Intel's patents.
Actually, I was slightly wrong. Intel actually lost partially, since it was ruled that they could sell x86 CPUs manufactured in foundries that already held Intel licenses. However, Cyrix themselves never had an x86 license and were therefore forced to manufacture all their x86 CPUs in those foundries.
Some people need VT, in fact, many people use VT and opt for well priced and ggod performing AMD CPU's.
Again, did you actually bother reading what I said? I said that I think Intel should include VT-x on all their CPUs. And it's true that some people need VT, but most of those people deal with servers and other expensive systems, and any Intel CPUs they would be interested in buying would have VT-x anyway. Out of all the people who rely heavily on virtualization, a very tiny percentage of those people use it on cheap AMD CPUs.
Anyone can criticize anything for whatever reason(s). You are wrong again.
Fine. You can criticize them. However, your criticisms are not justified, because you could apply the same criticisms to AMD, since they also make a concerted effort to gain marketshare and become a monopoly (although Intel is decidedly better at it). Criticizing Intel for trying to become a monopoly is like criticizing Michael Phelps for trying to win races.

I know. Did you actually read my post? I specifically acknowledged that and even said that I wish Intel would include VT-x on all their CPUs. However, the vast majority of people buying budget CPUs have no need whatsoever for virtualization, so it isn't that big of a deal that the lower-end CPUs don't have it.

So, a dose of your own medicine has you gagging.:D

Many people that buy mid and low range CPU's do need and use VT. Additionally, I tend to think of E8400 and E8200 (if their is one, don't racall off the top-of-my-head), as high mid stream due to their cost, particularily the E8400, but that is only two CPU's that Intel supplies to the mainstream market - business and home consumer - that have VT. Intel may be hurting their sales by being cheapsakes.

Many people that buy mid and low range CPU's do need and use VT.
Really? Who? My mom certainly doesn't need it, and the vast majority of people who buy mid-range and low-end CPUs are people just like her. Last time I checked, you don't need VT-x to surf the net and play Solitaire.
Additionally, I tend to think of E8400 and E8200 (if their is one, don't racall off the top-of-my-head), as high mid stream due to their cost, particularily the E8400
Really? You think that $150 constitutes an upper-mid-range price? Where were you when AMD was charging $300 for their X2 3800+? I bet you didn't think that was excessive.

Really? Who? My mom certainly doesn't need it, and the vast majority of people who buy mid-range and low-end CPUs are people just like her. Last time I checked, you don't need VT-x to surf the net and play Solitaire.

Really? You think that $150 constitutes an upper-mid-range price? Where were you when AMD was charging $300 for their X2 3800+? I bet you didn't think that was excessive.

"Really?"

Yes, 'really', at today's prices $150 constitutes an upper or near upper mid range price.

None of your business where I was at when a 3800+ cost $300, but rest assured I didn't buy one at that price as my old P4 2.4GHz performed well enough for me. I have never and will never pay top dollar for a CPU etc. unless it is a special occasion or I "really" need it etc.

BTW, where were you at?? Junior High or High School or where ever - whatever??

"Really?"

Yes, 'really', at today's prices $150 constitutes an upper or near upper mid range price.
No, $150 is firmly in the mid-range. $300 is an upper-mid-range price, and $500 is high-end. Just because you can get great performance for a low price doesn't mean that that constitutes high-end.

By the way, Intel is the company responsible for those low prices. The introductory prices of the Core 2 line are what caused the dramatic shift of CPU prices to much lower amounts.
None of your business where I was at when a 3800+ cost $300, but rest assured I didn't buy one at that price as my old P4 2.4GHz performed well enough for me. I have never and will never pay top dollar for a CPU etc. unless it is a special occasion or I "really" need it etc.
It was a figure of speech. I wasn't actually asking where you happened to be located at the time. Anyway, top dollar would have been $800, which is what AMD was charging for their high-end dual-core chips. $300 was pocket change compared to their other prices at the time.
BTW, where were you at?? Junior High or High School or where ever - whatever??
Personal insults are against forum rules. I could just as easily insult your age, but I won't stoop down to your level. And you have no idea how old I am, but I'll tell you right off the bat that your wild guess was incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back