Will Asus P5B Delux Not Work With 2.1V Ram?

Skunt

Limp Gawd
I'm going to building a pc soon and I have ordered some ram and I remeber hearing a lot of people saying that the p5b only works with 1.8V ram. Tons of people with the OCZ ram which uses 2.1V had difficulty getting them to work. The Mushkin ram uses 2.1V too and I want to make sure it would work on the Asus p5b before getting it.

It was the P5B that was having all the RAM issues, right? It wasn't the p5w was it?

Maybe, but I don't think so. What's your source? A quick search on the forums and I didn't see anything like that...the first post I ran into that mentioned RAM voltages on a P5B showed a RAM voltage at 2.3 (that seems pretty good to me). I know, thats just one example, but I haven't heard about any ram problems. Maybe I just missed it; anyone?

The RAM voltage problem has affected almost all motherboards with P965 chipsets. DDR2 spec is 1.8v, but in order ot get to 800MHz with low latencies manufacturer's are having to bump default voltages up to 1.9-2.2v. The problem came from both the mainboard and memory companies. Mainboard BIOS's default to 1.8v since that was spec. Memory companies weren't putting a SPD setting in the modules to be able to boot at a lower speed (e.g. DDR2-533) with 1.8v. So the boards and RAM weren't getting the settings they needed to work. BIOS saw a SPD entry of 800MHz and tried to run it at 1.8v (since that is what the spec callled for) and it didn't work.

I think however that most memory and mainboard companies have been working together quite well to provide BIOS fixes and module revisions to overcome this problem. I haven't really heard much of it lately.

My P5B-D posted just fine with my RAM which is rated 2.1-2.3V

The DS3 was the mobo that had the majority of issues.

My P5B-Deluxe posted just fine with RAM rated for 2.1v - 2.2v

Then, I bumped the Vdimm up to 2.1, and overclocked it to 1000mhz :D

Back