Win7 changed OS disk from LBA to LRG

OldMX

2[H]4U
I noticed this morning when turning my computer on, my primary disk was running in LRG mode which freaked me out, since i have image backups of all my OS installs (XP x64, Vista and 7), I restored my Vista Business X64 and disk went to LBA again, for testing, restored again to Win7 and the disk went again into LRG mode, what is going on guys?

One more thing, if i zero the disk, which i do between restores (quizk zeros with WD data tools) and leave disk blank, it shows LBA mode, even if I use Win7 install disk to "just partition" the disk and reboot, it shows LRG mode :confused:

Any ideas??

There's absolutely no logical or rational reason to zero a hard drive out unless it's done for privacy concerns. Just doing it because you want to start over again "clean" is ridiculous as well as wear and tear on the drive that serves neither a logical or a rational purpose. A Quick Format on a drive will serve the necessary function while not putting the mechanics through the long write/read process of zeroing it out.

To be honest, I've never heard of "LRG mode" so, in that aspect I'm a bit lost... I know "Large" and LBA are the two methods so I'm guessing that's what you mean, I've just never seen it written as LRG before.

All I can say is this: if the damned thing is working, who cares... ;) Tinkering with every little thing down to LBA/LRG levels is going to drive you absolutely fucking insane. Partition it, Quick Format it, install the OS on it, and use it... simple. Nothing else needs to be done...

Come on Joe, you know better than that, the quick-zeros is just to clear the first disk sectors, I'm not insane enough or have something to hide to run a full wipe everytime, its actually done in a couple of seconds, and seems i'm not the only on it with the LRG issue.

click me

Any more ideas?

Looks like it could be most directly related to that recovery partition, the ~100MB one created on a totally blank drive with no partitions on it when you install Windows 7. I still can't see an actual "issue" here as I've installed Windows 7 close to 4,000 times in the past year on a huge variety of hardware from old 4200 rpm laptop drives to VelociRaptors and even a few SSDs as well and I haven't had one single problem with the drives whatsoever.

Somebody explain this to me like a 6 year old... ;)

Not a real problem, just need to know :D

Actually the disk seems to perform as good or better than it does on Vista, but if i read it correctly it changes disk geometry.

Testing I repartitioned a second disk, one single partition and it changed too to LRG, just wanted to know if its a bug with Win7 partitioning or just a new feature?

I might understand once, but damn, heatless linked to the same thread also and you missed that too... geez ;)

Back