Windows 10 blurry text and scaling

rudy

[H]F Junkie
I cannot seem to get this right.

Windows 10 x64
NVidia GTX780

If I try to increase the scaling on my 2560x1440 display to make it closer in size to my 1920x1080 display the text just gets blurry. What is most disturbing is that some text is very clear and others is junk, and the this is with official MS programs like excel. So are we seriously sitting at the year 2015 and MS doesn't even support their own scaling in their own software? Oh and another hilarious issue, edge browser icon looks like shit too.

Disabling scaling in each individual program which is pretty much all of them is not an acceptable solution, then I might as well disable it system wide because so far I haven't found many programs that look right.

That is an interesting read and depicts a major problem MS has, they can never leave shit alone. Another new way to scale and programs barely caught up after the switch from XP to vista. I will mess with this later and see how it goes.

Just booted up a VM, set the resolution to 2560x1600 and the DPI to 125%. I see nothing out of the ordinary.

Just booted up a VM, set the resolution to 2560x1600 and the DPI to 125%. I see nothing out of the ordinary.

In my experience, this doesn't happen on VMs. I myself have a VM of Windows 10 which I tried before I even did a "native" install, and I didn't see this behavior, so you can imagine how confused I was when I did a full, clean install on my rig using a new SSD which I bought just for Windows 10 and saw this crap happening.

The simple explanation is that Windows includes two different methods for high-DPI scaling. Windows 8.1 (and previous) used "XP Style" high-DPI scaling for scaling values up to 125%, while Windows 10 always uses the new scaling method introduced in Vista for all scaling values.

The XP method will always be sharp because it works by enlarging various window metrics. This can result in broken GUIs in applications that have not been coded with this in-mind.

The Vista method allows applications that specify that they are high-DPI aware to render larger and sharper. Applications that DO NOT specify that they are high-DPI aware are rendered to a 96DPI back-buffer, then scaled up to fill a larger window frame. This won't always look sharp, but it'll never cause an application's GUI to break either.

Basically, Microsoft disabled access to an old and poorly-supported scaling method that may break applications, in favor of a 100% compatible solution that isn't quite as pretty. As a result, application developers no-longer have to test against two entirely different systems for implementing high-DPI.

This is one of those things that IS, in fact, an improvement... but it requires developers to update their applications to take advantage of it.

Problem is I'd rather have a broken gui/cut off text in certain parts of the gui, than have blurry everything all around.

windows scaling sucks, apples is perfect

Except when the app isn't made for it.... Just like how it sucks for windows...

Having owned a retina macbook pro there still is plenty of software that doesn't support scaling well and is blurry on them.

Back