Windows 11 May Not Run on Early Ryzen, Threadripper, Skylake-X, or Any Pre-2016 Intel PC

simple, easy fix ... and that means most folks will be stressing out about it :barefoot:
Relax oh mighty ones ... TPM 2.0 modules in prep for Windows 11

https://www.shacknews.com/article/1...-add-in-tpm-20-modules-in-prep-for-windows-11

but then this:
Thanks to Windows 11, Scalpers Buy Out Add-on TPM 2.0 Modules

Scalping used to be ILLEGAL in the USA but clearly not any more. I feel for all the folks who got arrested for scalping NFL football tickets some years back :eek:

I don't. Just because people are getting away with it today, doesn't mean those guys weren't assholes back then. They deserve everything they got.

There are also registy keys that disable all these stupid check anyway.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]
“BypassTPMCheck”=dword:00000001
"BypassSecureBootCheck”=dword:00000001

Alternatively you can replace appraiserres.dll on Win11 ISO with the file from Win10 ISO.

I wouldn't be surprised if those conveniently disappear by the time the final product is released :/

1624905331620.png

You'd better be careful, highlighting the fact people openly reward a vendor they seemingly hate like some vicious Stockholm Syndrome is like diving into a pool of Piranha's wearing a suit made of Bacon.

I'm sure everyone will like their free cloud portal OS where Microsoft will be sure to charge an ongoing fee for anything of relevance.

I just want an OS that works the way they did ~15 years ago.

All local programs, no ecosystem, I install what I want and only what I want, and my computer never tries to contact anything else on the network unless I explicitly tell it to.

Windows 11 is yet another step in a long line of steps in the WRONG direction, removing user choice, forcing tons of crap on people they don't want, and trying to wrest control of peoples computers away from the people who actually own them.

It's total bullshit. Companies are supposed to compete for users by giving them what they want. Not by forcing shit on them because they don't have a choice. The latter is not the free market.

For these and many other reasons I've been a Linux first user for many years, but I still keep a tidy debloated Win10 install around to dual boot to just for games. I hope I can continue doing this, but I am unwilling to compromize on the cloud integration, MS Account, and TPM requirements. If I can't find a way to kill them, I'll hang on to Windows 10 as long as I can, and hope gaming on Linux improves to the point where I consider it usable in the next 3 years.

Have a 10th gen i7 with a 2060 in my laptop so I guess I'm not worried.
IDK if I want to ?upgrade? to 11 since I prefer my system to look more like 7 and 10 makes it somewhat easy. I believe 11 removed bits to customize some of the looks.

Is it really worth moving to 11 if you have an OK PC?

Insert standard comment about how bad of an idea it is to run an EOL OS, any EOL OS, unless it is never connected to any network.
Unpatched and outdated OS can't pull IP's from our network, and when they attempt their info is collected and sent to the appropriate department. The amount of hate mail I got from staff when I blocked all versions of Win 7 from the network was insane, but the amount of filtered and sinkholed traffic disappeared almost completely overnight when I did. Still lost of blocked tracking metrics from patched stuff going to Amazon, Google, and Facebook that gets filtered but it was a crazy difference. When administration finally came down on me for it I just showed them the logs and their difference in a nice pie chart, and they just went "OK yeah good call, Jesus that much, wow!"

Have a 10th gen i7 with a 2060 in my laptop so I guess I'm not worried.
IDK if I want to ?upgrade? to 11 since I prefer my system to look more like 7 and 10 makes it somewhat easy. I believe 11 removed bits to customize some of the looks.

Is it really worth moving to 11 if you have an OK PC?

I mean, what do you expect to gain from the "upgrade"?

The biggest "features" Microsoft is pushing thus far seem to be the new mac-like UI (I'm surprised Apple hasn't sued them yet) which we have already established you don't care for. Then there is the enhanced cryptographical "protections" resulting from the TPM requirements. These are all around negatives IMHO, but I can picture a future where you essentially cannot stream any content online without the TPM enabled because all DRM depends on it, and you can't play multiplayer games online without it as anti-cheat depends on it, so you may be forced to move ti 11 based just on these things, if you are into streaming or multiplayer games.

Unpatched and outdated OS can't pull IP's from our network, and when they attempt their info is collected and sent to the appropriate department. The amount of hate mail I got from staff when I blocked all versions of Win 7 from the network was insane, but the amount of filtered and sinkholed traffic disappeared almost completely overnight when I did. Still lost of blocked tracking metrics from patched stuff going to Amazon, Google, and Facebook that gets filtered but it was a crazy difference. When administration finally came down on me for it I just showed them the logs and their difference in a nice pie chart, and they just went "OK yeah good call, Jesus that much, wow!"

I was really surprised once I installed pfBlockerNG on my pfSense router (a pfSense plugin that essentially does what pihole does).

The percentage of requests blocked as either trackers or ads was absolutely jawdropping.

During the day when we are using the network it is over 20% of all requests.

During the night when things are idle it is over 50%.

And that's just the ones it is catching!

I was really surprised once I installed pfBlockerNG on my pfSense router (a pfSense plugin that essentially does what pihole does).

The percentage of requests blocked as either trackers or ads was absolutely jawdropping.

During the day when we are using the network it is over 20% of all requests.

During the night when things are idle it is over 50%.

And that's just the ones it is catching!
Yeah, we are using the solution from Palo Alto installed on my PA 3250's and the amount of traffic they deal with is insane, but their reports give me very clear actionables on where to look and what needs attention, combined with their Expedition toolset run on my monthly logs also gives me a clear look at my rules and which ones are effective and which aren't, which do wonders at helping to keep things out or in. The report this morning interestingly enough is showing that many of the ads being displayed to a section of Android tablets in one of my buildings are trying to send metrics back to Mongolia and Kazakstan, which is a new trend that I am blocking but certainly needs to be looked at, WTF have they installed on there that is trying to talk back there.

I mean, what do you expect to gain from the "upgrade"?

The biggest "features" Microsoft is pushing thus far seem to be the new mac-like UI (I'm surprised Apple hasn't sued them yet) which we have already established you don't care for. Then there is the enhanced cryptographical "protections" resulting from the TPM requirements. These are all around negatives IMHO, but I can picture a future where you essentially cannot stream any content online without the TPM enabled because all DRM depends on it, and you can't play multiplayer games online without it as anti-cheat depends on it, so you may be forced to move ti 11 based just on these things, if you are into streaming or multiplayer games.
Depending on how they handle TPM and application sandboxing it could have a lot of positives as well, especially when it comes to web browsing as it would go a very long ways toward keeping anything the browser sees from having any sort of access back to the OS making drive-by infections from adds or images far more difficult, and given the recent set of malware that was spread through steam & discord shows this is an increasing necessity as bad people are going to much further lengths and as more people use more services it's becoming harder to properly police them all as not using them is becoming less of an option for more people. Really Microsoft pushing TPM 2 is an imperfect solution but it's showing increasingly necessary for Microsoft to police developers because they are getting lazy with their security and it's hurting their image more than it does the individual services which aren't improving at the speeds we need. I am wondering though if 11 is going to choose to encrypt the HDD's by default, crypto attacks are far less effective against data that is already encrypted. Granted for home users that would be a bit problematic so there would need to be some sort of education campaign there or at least some sort of animated wizard explaining the process, but for Business and Enterprise I think it should be the default state at this point.

I'm pretty sure MS has done this on purpose just to drum up extra attention and make a fuss about 11, by the time it comes out everyone will be able to upgrade and people will have gotten their knickers in a twist (or panties for our US bretheren) for nothing....

There is something wrong with the requirements.

My Dell laptop has i7-7700 and does not pass PC health check although I have TPM 2.0 enabled in the BIOS. WhyNotWin11 reports that the problem is the processor.

I managed to install the dev ISO in a VMWare virtual machine. the VM reports the same processor and shows TPM 2.0 not avail/disabled.

Looks to me like a mess is building up
That is because 7th gen and older do not meet the requirements.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...te-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements/

They are already covering themselves for walking back some of the requirements, to quote the above article:

"By providing preview builds to the diverse systems in our Windows Insider Program, we will learn how Windows 11 performs across CPU models more comprehensively, informing any adjustments we should make to our minimum system requirements in the future."

Yeah well, they are enforcing it. More at the link.

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-cpu-compatibility-amd-intel/

Microsoft's Windows 11 does not explicitly support first-gen AMD Ryzen CPUs. But then nor does it support any Intel processor made before the Coffee Lake generation. So anything from the Ryzen 1000-series or 7th Gen Kaby Lake range isn't listed as a win for Windows 11.

Originally we were recommending you put away the pitchforks as there were some caveats to this seeming CPU exclusivity. But after an update from Microsoft it might actually be time to pick up the flaming torches, pull out those farming implements, and start the long trek to Castle Frankenstein Microsoft.

The lists of supported Intel and AMD processors for Windows 11 are long, but not exhaustive. Originally it seemed as though this was the difference between something Microsoft called the 'hard floor' and the 'soft floor' in its Windows 11 Compatibility Cookbook.

That's the difference between definitely not being able to install Windows 11 and just not being advised to.

But late on Saturday Microsoft updated the page "to correct the guidance around the TPM requirements for Windows 11" and to remove all talk about hard and soft floors. Instead it simply reads:

"In order to run Windows 11, devices must meet the hardware specifications. Devices that do not meet the hardware requirements cannot be upgraded to Windows 11."

In its defence, that page does now give one definitive set of minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11, but the fact it's doubled down on Microsoft's assertion that the TPM 2.0 spec was an absolute must if you wanted to get yourself some sweet next-gen OS action is a little saddening.
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...te-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements/

They are already covering themselves for walking back some of the requirements, to quote the above article:

"By providing preview builds to the diverse systems in our Windows Insider Program, we will learn how Windows 11 performs across CPU models more comprehensively, informing any adjustments we should make to our minimum system requirements in the future."

That is because 7th gen and older do not meet the requirements.

Doesn't meet the requirements natively, yet it is perfectly OK to run as a VM on the same machine?

That indicates that there is something fishy with the requirements, if you ask me.

And we know this already. The requirements are not based on "what it takes to run Windows 11", there are plenty of older CPU's capable of running Windows 11. There is something else going on here. Either industry kickbacks to force people to buy new Computers (or at least new CPU's) or just pure laziness because they want to shrink the number of iterations they do testing on.

The expectation is that any system possessing the capability to run the OS should be allowed to do so, and it should not be artificially limited, which is what Microsoft is doing.

But who knows. Maybe they will expand support as time goes on. I wouldn't count on it though.

Microsoft's Windows 11 does not explicitly support first-gen AMD Ryzen CPUs. But then nor does it support any Intel processor made before the Coffee Lake generation. So anything from the Ryzen 1000-series or 7th Gen Kaby Lake range isn't listed as a win for Windows 11.

Originally we were recommending you put away the pitchforks as there were some caveats to this seeming CPU exclusivity. But after an update from Microsoft it might actually be time to pick up the flaming torches, pull out those farming implements, and start the long trek to Castle Frankenstein Microsoft.

The lists of supported Intel and AMD processors for Windows 11 are long, but not exhaustive. Originally it seemed as though this was the difference between something Microsoft called the 'hard floor' and the 'soft floor' in its Windows 11 Compatibility Cookbook.

That's the difference between definitely not being able to install Windows 11 and just not being advised to.

But late on Saturday Microsoft updated the page "to correct the guidance around the TPM requirements for Windows 11" and to remove all talk about hard and soft floors. Instead it simply reads:

"In order to run Windows 11, devices must meet the hardware specifications. Devices that do not meet the hardware requirements cannot be upgraded to Windows 11."

In its defence, that page does now give one definitive set of minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11, but the fact it's doubled down on Microsoft's assertion that the TPM 2.0 spec was an absolute must if you wanted to get yourself some sweet next-gen OS action is a little saddening.

What is this "linksynergy" garbage embedded in your links?

My firewall lists are blocking all of them.

Doesn't meet the requirements natively, yet it is perfectly OK to run as a VM on the same machine?

That indicates that there is something fishy with the requirements, if you ask me.

And we know this already. The requirements are not based on "what it takes to run Windows 11", there are plenty of older CPU's capable of running Windows 11. There is something else going on here. Either industry kickbacks to force people to buy new Computers (or at least new CPU's) or just pure laziness because they want to shrink the number of iterations they do testing on.

The expectation is that any system possessing the capability to run the OS should be allowed to do so, and it should not be artificially limited, which is what Microsoft is doing.

But who knows. Maybe they will expand support as time goes on. I wouldn't count on it though.

Looks like Microsoft are trying to explain themselves:
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2021/0...d-first-gen-amd-ryzen-support-could-be-added/

It's funny: people are so eager to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, but it goes out of its way to say "yes, things were as bad as you originally expected."

I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Microsoft soften its requirements by the time Windows 11 ships, but the damage might already have been done.

Odd.

It only affects two links on this entire page, the AMD and Intel lists you posted. They look like this:

https://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?id=kXQk6*ivFEQ&mid=24542&u1=pcg-us-1387948459016314000&murl=https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

I deleted out the linksynergy prefix, and replaced the %3A with a colon, and all the %2F's with forward slashes and it appears to work just fine :p
No idea, it shows in the code correctly.

1624912126392.png

I agree that TPM 2.0 being a solid requirement sucks but it does not automatically exclude everything older than 8xxx gen since you can add the module to the mobo of some older generations...

I agree that TPM 2.0 being a solid requirement sucks but it does not automatically exclude anything older than 8xxx gen since you can add the module to the mobo of some older generations...

There is so much confusion surrounding this. The TPM requirement and the CPU generation requirement were separate. My Dell XPS 13 has a TPM 2.0 chip yet still fails because of the CPU.

However, 7th generation CPU's have been added to the insider build as of today.

Odd.

It only affects two links on this entire page, the AMD and Intel lists you posted. They look like this:

https://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?id=kXQk6*ivFEQ&mid=24542&u1=pcg-us-1387948459016314000&murl=https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

I deleted out the linksynergy prefix, and replaced the %3A with a colon, and all the %2F's with forward slashes and it appears to work just fine :p

I also see the URL's as LinkSynergy. Probably a security thing. Kind of like how anyone who uses Office 365 gets all of their hyperlinks routed through nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com.

There is so much confusion surrounding this. The TPM requirement and the CPU generation requirement were separate. My Dell XPS 13 has a TPM 2.0 chip yet still fails because of the CPU.

My system still shows it doesn't meet min. for the insider build. Same XPS 13 and all is good except cpu.

Engineer 1: There, Windows 11 is built!

QA: It's not installing....

Engineer 2: Installed for me.

Engineer 1: QA is using an old platform.

Engineer 2: Something's wrong in the code or build.... figure it out.

(months pass)

Microsoft marketing: Announcing Windows 11 and new platform requirements.

Yes, the Health Check app hasn't been updated yet.
This isn't the health check app. This is in Windows 10 Insider build settings area. I just noticed it wasn't logged in for some reason. Still shows it doesnt meet. Ugh.

I realise that (I linked the same article above), it was more in reponse to NIZMOZ. And that article says "we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles", which I don't read as we have added it to the requirements list...

Last edited:
My system still shows it doesn't meet min. for the insider build. Same XPS 13 and all is good except cpu.

For us Desktop folks, we tend to like upgrading regularly anyway, so I doubt that by 2025 when Windows 10 goes EOL, too many of us will be affected.

For my laptop - on the other hand....

I'm still using a 2012 Dell Latitude E6430s. I love that thing. I can easily swap drives and RAM sticks, and the keyboard is nice to type on. There literally is no laptop on the market today that meets my requirements, and there hasn't been for 8+ years.

If I am forced off of my 2012 Dell, I guess I will just have to stop using laptops all together...

For us Desktop folks, we tend to like upgrading regularly anyway, so I doubt that by 2025 when Windows 10 goes EOL, too many of us will be affected.

For my laptop - on the other hand....

I'm still using a 2012 Dell Latitude E6430s. I love that thing. I can easily swap drives and RAM sticks, and the keyboard is nice to type on. There literally is no laptop on the market today that meets my requirements, and there hasn't been for 8+ years.

If I am forced off of my 2012 Dell, I guess I will just have to stop using laptops all together...
for your laptop, you can use your tower to install onto a ssd and then plop it in you laptop and it will work.

For days? When some of this info I just posted just announced less than an hour ago....sure.
did i say everything? nope.

I would be surprised if something like that happen, if Windows 11 is needed in any way to access the latest anything Microsoft do (gamepass, office 365) in any better way, the way they made windows virtually free and pushed it and how much it is a windows into an array of product that is more their business model.

I imagine they want to enforce it on oem to have less than 5 year's old hardware on what people buy has windows machine and could be hard to do so with bothering company that have parks of laptop-desktop, if so we can expect a very long life of windows 10 support considering how similar it look to be to win 11 and how long winxp and 7 life were.

Any other updates on 1st gen threadrippers? 1950x is still going strong.

Back