Windows 7 Backup - Fails to complete

TechJeff

Limp Gawd
I am using an i7 CPU, ATI 5780 video card, 10GB RAM.

I have a problem getting Windows 7 Ultimate backup to work using their built-in backup software as well as "True Image 2010". Everything on the drives works just fine and I know the drives are in perfect condition with no problems.

The backup drive is 1TB same as my Windows 7 dedicated drive and is connected via external Firewire 800. It has been checked as well, no problems and is a new drive. I can write files to it just fine from within the OS and Windows 7 sees the drive too. It was formatted in NTFS clean with no other partitions.

Now, the issue is I have tried BOTH Windows 7 Ultimate backup and "True Image" software. Each one fails to complete a backup to the HD and usually quits anywhere from 1 - 13% or so and seems to just hang. There are NO error messages, it simply just sits there even though it appears to be working. The system does NOT hang, just the backup for some reason. I have tried quitting the backup and going again with same results.

When compared to backing up my 1TB hard drive Mac OS to an external HD connected via Firewire 800 in the same manor using "SuperDuper", the time it takes is only about 2-3 hours with full backup of the drive. However, my PC computer with Windows 7 OS backup will sit there for 5+ hours still at around 12% or so.

I am wondering what is going on since I know the hard drives are all OK and the OS sees the drive from both Mac and Windows 7. Right now I am at a complete loss since I get no error messages and everything checks out OK. I did find another article where a report indicated roughly the same issue I am seeing here:

http://www.notebooks.com/2009/10/24/how-to-backup-your-installation-of-windows-7

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

see this thread from post 12, and check which build you have

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/5399

I have win7 x64 (with system restore off) and acronis 2010 build 6053. No problems with backup to second internal system drive, 530gb backup takes about 90mins with priority set at high

It sounds likely like the 2 backup software are clashing, and maybe an acronis update will fix that, but if you tried win7 backup before installing acronis then its suggesting something to do with your actual drive or firewire connection.

G'luck

I'd like to retract my suggestions, I needed to recover an image the other day and it fkd my machine up big time

Read through the acronis forums and see that true image 2010 does not work with windows ultimate, even although acronis will not admit it.

Stay away from buying until their forums confirm they have fixed it, its been an issue for months

I'd like to retract my suggestions, I needed to recover an image the other day and it fkd my machine up big time

Read through the acronis forums and see that true image 2010 does not work with windows ultimate, even although acronis will not admit it.

Stay away from buying until their forums confirm they have fixed it, its been an issue for months

Thanks for the info everyone.

I have found the same thing to be true about the Acronis 2010 backup software. NOTE: Their tech support sucks big time too and I am not just saying that. Others have reported the same thing. It took them 6 weeks to get back with me as I posted this same question to their tech support and only heard back last week. They said NOTHING about my issues backing up but did address the issue I had getting the software key to install. It seems you must FIRST setup an Acronis account on their web site THEN register on the web site for product key.

Anyway, this is not just me and others have said their machine gets totally messed up too with their software and can't get it to work at all. I would warn EVERYONE to stay away from them and try anything else.

If anyone finds Windows 7 built-in backup to work for Pro or Ultimate versions please post here or refer a link because so far I have had much trouble with that too. I found on a few other sites where there have been others reporting issues but no specific answers as to what the cause is or how to fix it.

If anyone finds Windows 7 built-in backup to work for Pro or Ultimate versions please post here or refer a link because so far I have had much trouble with that too. I found on a few other sites where there have been others reporting issues but no specific answers as to what the cause is or how to fix it.

Hi, TechJeff,

You can check the following links for information on the built-in backup. I know that it works in Win 7 Pro:

Back up and restore: frequently asked questions

Improved Recovery Options in Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Well, I did some more testing this time using ONLY Windows 7 backup in Ultimate 64 bit and uninstalled the Acronis 2010 Backup. However, I am still getting stuck at around the 12% mark every time I try to run it. NOTE: It seems like the same issue that I posted a link to in my first post. However, I do not want to do any hacks or workaround at this time as it should work as stated. Plus, I don't know what I will run into so for now this simply does not work at all for me.

I have confirmed again, as stated in my first post, the hard drive is just fine and I can read and write to it from inside Windows 7 OK. Also, using the same firewire external hard drive dock connected to a Mac Pro works just fine. So there has to be something going on because Windows 7 sees the drive fine and I can read and write to it from the SAME firewire dock. The only thing it does not do is make a backup using Windows 7 built-in backup. I think it truly is an issue like the one reported in the link from my OP.

Hope this helps someone else. For now, I am stuck backing up files by hand manually. If anyone hears or knows of anything else please post here.

does it ever error out if you just let it sit there? maybe try running it overnight?

then check Event Viewer to see if any errors were logged that may pertain to it.

does it ever error out if you just let it sit there? maybe try running it overnight?

then check Event Viewer to see if any errors were logged that may pertain to it.

I tried that, but no errors from what I can tell. It just sits there frozen as described in my first post. It is the SAME type of symptoms reported in the article I linked to above.There does not seem to be much information about this from what I can tell except what that article mentioned.

As I said, the SAME external SATA drive dock connected via Firewire runs just fine using the same HDD too if I try it on my Mac Pro computer. Also, I can see the drive and write files to it manually from within Windows 7 so it has to be something weird with the Windows 7 Ultimate backup. I'm still looking into this.

Back