Windows is being dumb

AMDXP

2[H]4U
Ok, well I've reformatted my computer several times, atleast 5 times in one week to get it working properly and I've activated windows too many times it says now, after my computer shut off and restarted... I've re-entered my product key and it just will not take.

This is retarded and the only computer I've installed windows xp pro on!

Absolutely no way am I re-installing windows, I need my computer up and running!

:rolleyes:

Example:

dfgdsgdfg.PNG

So do I call microsoft?

Bah, not to be mean but last time I had to re-activate over the phone, the person wasn't fluent in the english alphabet.

:(

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Bah, not to be mean but last time I had to re-activate over the phone, the person wasn't fluent in the english alphabet.

:(

Seriously, if you want your computer to work then you know what you have to do whether you like it or not. :p

SJConsultant said:
Seriously, if you want your computer to work then you know what you have to do whether you like it or not. :p

Oh, Gee Wilickers!

:p

Thanks, lol. Wish me luck.

Kind of sort of OT, but has the automated system ever worked for anybody? The robot *always* tells me that it couldn't validate my confirmation number when I do upgrades (I work for a small computer shop). Never once have I had success without talking to a living, breathing human being. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the hijack. :eek:

^ never worked for me.

if it isn't already too late, write down the number they give you. don't just plug it in. so you will have it the next time your format. i am not saying it will work, i just regret not writing down the activation code they gave me when i called them up last year.

bobbydole said:
it's worked for me. the only time i've done it, it worked.

Ditto and I talked to a live person on the phone. Gave the product key and a reason then they reactivated it without problems.

Yeah, skip the robot and talk with a rep. I had to read the 60-digit key to the robot, and it couldn't help me. The rep only needed like the first 20 digits.

t00thless said:
^ never worked for me.

if it isn't already too late, write down the number they give you. don't just plug it in. so you will have it the next time your format. i am not saying it will work, i just regret not writing down the activation code they gave me when i called them up last year.

If you backup "wpa.dbl" which resides in C:\Windows\system32 and then restore it from safe mode command prompt after a fresh XP intall you won't have to reactivate so long as the hardware hasn't changed.

The best method though is to get imaging software and just restore the backup you make with it. I use Acronis True Image.

I have my own computer business and have had to call Microsoft several times to activate various things. They are always pleasant to deal with in my experience...although it doesn't sound like English is their first language, they are still easy to understand...at least for me anyway.

Gatticus said:
If you backup "wpa.dbl" which resides in C:\Windows\system32 and then restore it from safe mode command prompt after a fresh XP intall you won't have to reactivate so long as the hardware hasn't changed.

The best method though is to get imaging software and just restore the backup you make with it. I use Acronis True Image.
I thought that didn't work with SP2.

Never had a problem with phone activation here... Another good tip - NEVER activate a new Windows install until you absolutley have to - ie time is up or have to deliver the system. That way if something screws up and you have to install again in a day or whatever you have not wasted an (non-phone in) online activiation and time.

Back