Windows XP install shuts down computer?!

I just bought a cheap 2500+ barton to mess with since i had the extra parts lying around. So I put everything together and it boots fine and all but whenever I try to install Windows xp my whole system just turns off like u pulled the plug. also you can't even power it back up without switching the psu off and back on. Now the weird thing is that it shuts off at the same point in the windows xp installation every time. It does so when its done loading all the misc drivers for raid,usb keyboards,etc. It says "Setting up Windows" and then goes kaput. Basically i never even get this far
wxp_sg_clean_007.gif

So far i've tried different: HDD,PSU,CDROM

Also the problem isn't overheating temps are fine and the fact that it shuts down at the same point rules that out.

Any ideas what this might be?

BTW i have no clue whether this might affect it but i dont have a case and i'm manally starting the machine by connecting the jumpers on the board.

Much thanks.

Last edited:
Which motherboard and which version of the board?
Have you updated its BIOS?

using biostar m7ncdpro v1.1 with bios ncd0424 and i haven't updated my bios b4

update: just swapped the ram and it works... mayb the memory wasn't stable or something. the 256mb pc2100 stick came from a super old dell machine. i had it running at 133mhz.

any how thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back