Windows XP Upgrade $9.99 AR @ Office Depot

Bellz

Limp Gawd
Found this on Techbargains.com:

Office Depot has Windows XP Home upgrade for $99.99 - $20 off Code: 25828894 Exp 9/15 - $70 rebate = $9.99 shipped free.
$70 rebate Exp 9/16/06

Office Depot Link
Rebate PDF Link

The OD site is showing Limited Availability for online stock, so grab it quick.

Never used the upgrade version of XP, but all earlier upgrade versions I've used only required you to pop in an earlier version of Windows during installation to show you had one.

JackSchmittUSA said:
Never used the upgrade version of XP, but all earlier upgrade versions I've used only required you to pop in an earlier version of Windows during installation to show you had one.

That's correct, then it makes a full install...nice deal, thanks for the heads up!

I'm shaky on that rebate, what kind of rep does that company have rebait wise? ...

For anyone planning on getting vista for a new build in the new year, this is a great deal as it'll let you get the upgrade versions and save a bunch of $$$. Hot deal imo

Every customer there I've had mention them says they alwasy get their rebates. I've only had one problem getting a rebate back really really slowly, but it MIGHT have been due to the fact that it was a 180 dollar rebate on a clearance monitor that I paid 210 for :p In the end, I still got the rebate (so yes, I'm using a 30 dollar 19" LCD :D) but that one took a while. All others have been timely.

Can I make the floppy boot disks and the use this to instal without installing win 2000 or anything? Could use a spare xp disk.

The item you requested was not added to your cart.
You requested 1, however, only 0 are available at this time.
Order 0 now and backorder 1 for future delivery.

Crap.

If you follow the directions and are prepared to wait, you will get the rebate, but please do read it carefully. I have seen some that were sneaky, I think it was e-machines (prior to the Gateway buyout) that you had to write everything in caps to get the rebate.

garrettgjb said:
Can I make the floppy boot disks and the use this to instal without installing win 2000 or anything? Could use a spare xp disk.
You don't even need to go that far. If you're installing onto a freshly formatted drive, you just insert the windows 2000 CD when prompted during setup. You can also use Win 98 or ME disks.

Ya but I dont have 98 me or 2000 or any other previous windows, but I do have the boot floppys.

garrettgjb said:
Ya but I dont have 98 me or 2000 or any other previous windows, but I do have the boot floppys.
In that case you don't qualify to use the upgrade version, you must have a valid license for the previous version. Win98 CDs/licenses can be found pretty cheap on ebay.

If you do have a valid license for win2k, just download an iso from your favorite p2p network.

Thanks OP. My zip still had stock so I bit. Hope that rebate comes through.

Where do you apply the Coupon code?

Never mind....Found the huge red button.

I'm in, thanks OP. Was just looking for the cheapest legit version of XP I could find, and this certainly fits the bill.

Quick question for those in the know: I've never used a Windows upgrade disc before, do I boot to the upgrade disc like I would a normal disc when istalling?

I'm assuming I try and install on the upgrade disc like normal, and at somepoint it spits out the upgrade disc and asks me to insert another disc (Win2k or Win98), reads that long enough to verify what it is, then spits it back out and contines installing from the upgrade disc. Is that more or less what I can expect?

Levii said:
I'm assuming I try and install on the upgrade disc like normal, and at somepoint it spits out the upgrade disc and asks me to insert another disc (Win2k or Win98), reads that long enough to verify what it is, then spits it back out and contines installing from the upgrade disc. Is that more or less what I can expect?
That's exactly what you do. Put the XP disc in, press a key to boot from the CD and it's just like installing a regular version except you'll need to swap to the 98/ME/2k disc fairly early in the install process. The actual check only takes a couple of seconds.

you boot and install like normal and then it will ask for a cd of your previous os.
I used win98se, and it worked.

sparks

Do they ship from any zip? anyone have a store in stock? Does this deal still work if I backorder one?

Levii said:
I'm in, thanks OP. Was just looking for the cheapest legit version of XP I could find, and this certainly fits the bill.

Quick question for those in the know: I've never used a Windows upgrade disc before, do I boot to the upgrade disc like I would a normal disc when istalling?

It's exactly what you can expect. :D

Thanks for the answers.

Glow said:

Do they ship from any zip? anyone have a store in stock? Does this deal still work if I backorder one?

75023 and 75287 (Plano, TX and Dallas, TX, respectively) both had some instock when I ordered. Not sure if they ship from anywhere though.

Nice deal for a legit copy of XP. I agree that is great if you want to upgrade to Vista next year.

This may be a dumb question, and if it is, please correct me politely. But, how would this be any help in upgrading to Vista? This is an upgrade meaning you must own a previous copy of Windows. If you want to purchase an upgrade copy of Vista, couldn't you use the same old copy of Windows that you would use for this deal?

I assume there is some bit of knowledge that I do not posess that makes this make sense.

^-- Likely you won't be able to upgrade any 98 or ME licenses to Vista. However, you will be able to upgrade an XP license to Vista (even if the XP license is an "upgrade license")

The presumption is the computers sold with those operating systems are too old to be supported in Vista.

Got any Vista drivers for my Riva 128 or my SB128?

As for me, I jumped in. I know of a rogue computer that could use a legitiment Windows.

kent said:
^-- Likely you won't be able to upgrade any 98 or ME licenses to Vista. However, you will be able to upgrade an XP license to Vista (even if the XP license is an "upgrade license")
Yup, that's how it should work. The other cheap vista upgrade option is finding Win2k cheap on ebay or somewhere, but the prices haven't really dropped to where 98 was when XP was first released.

WTF so now when I apply the code it just shows up as being there and when I hit apply coupon it doesn't take the $20 off it just loops me back somewhere else to continue shopping or checkout still at $99

I called because the coupon code wouldn't work. They said it doesn't apply to software or technology items.

Back