Wireless adaptor

sodman12

n00b
I need a wireless adaptor for my new desktop.

I have cable 5Mb connection at my house.

I dont need anything fancy just something that will work. Computer will be 5 feet from router but teh computer is upstairs so it has to go through floor and a wall. Have no problem picking up good signal on laptop.

Router is d-link.

Thanks in advance.

Any card can do 5 feet.
Get a d-link that was released around the time your router was.

If you don't have a PCI slot to spare, any USB adapter should also work just fine for that application. In five feet you'll see pretty much zero signal loss unless your house is lead lined or ferro-concrete.

You really need to state the model of your D-Link router.

The D-Link DWL-520 (with SuperG) is better for some routers and the DWL-520G (with MIMO) is better for others. Both are available from Frys.com.

Actually PCI is cheaper and will get a better signal. I have a $10 Airlink 101 wireless PCI adapter that gets a better signal from my wireless router than a $30 Zonet USB wireless adapter I bought. The router is 20-30 (not too sure) feet away with a kitchen filled with metallic pots and pans and a microwave oven in between.

i have Graphics card through pci. there is another correct? or will i have to go usb?

D-Link DI-524

Thats what I have. 5 feet may be an under estimate. more like 12 feet. But my laptop has no problem with signal strength.
That DI-524 is a very old router.

Since it won't take advantage of SuperG or MIMO, it doesn't really matter what 802.11g card you buy. Still, I would get PCI rather than USB.

And yes, most PCs have 3-4 PCI slots.

That DI-524 is a very old router.

Since it won't take advantage of SuperG or MIMO, it doesn't really matter what 802.11g card you buy. Still, I would get PCI rather than USB.

And yes, most PCs have 3-4 PCI slots.

Ok. Any recommendations. I would like to buy from newegg.com if possible. So cheapest solution will work I'm assuming? Don't really want to break 20 bucks if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Back