World Cup Fever Sends Net Usage to Record Levels

God I'm from the US and I have to say the insecurities running amongst american soccer haters in this thread is getting to the point of being ridiculously laughable.

I must admit, the more exposed I am to this soccer thing, the more I'm starting to hate it. It's god awfully boring. Sorry. :D

You do realize there is more than one way to score in 'Merican (and Canajan) football, don't you? Are you suggesting decimal points for field goals and converts? Don't get me started on rouges. :D

Uh, I don't know where you're getting at with " 'Merican" and "Canajan", but alright. The point of it isn't that there's several ways to score, but that the scoring system itself is over hyped. It goes through said goal once, but yet you're able to get 3, or 6, or 1 point. That's why the numbers look much greater in the end, which gives you an illusion of more action and awesomeness.

Soccer is the #1 sport in the world because it's cheap enough for anyone to play. Someone just needs to bring a ball or a big enough piece of dried mud.

Indeed. This is why it's such a beautiful sport -- anyone and everyone can play it. It's a sport that's transcended time, and it's never stopped being fun.

Nice sentiments, but I don't think the boyos are all that happy when the Brazilian supporters are honking their horns through Little Italy. It's pseudo-political dick waving.

Soccer's boring, but I don't hate it any more than NASCAR. It's the closet nationals coming out of the woodwork during the World Cup that are hateful. If your country is so great, what are you doing driving around in downtown Toronto every four years? WHAT DO YOU DO THE REST OF THE TIME? Not watching futball, I'd bet.

Really? You're gonna bring the political and national card into this? That's just retarded. It's a world event, people who originally lived in country A will now be living in country X. Nothing wrong with supporting your team -- it'd be like me complaining about the Steelers fans that live in Nevada. Also, if you want to come across like an ass by spelling words in a weird way then at least get it right bro: it's Futbol.

b0q0G.gif

that's just... lawl

people who are ridiculous like that should have no place in the sports community. =\

^ Players who get caught doing that usually get red-carded.

Anyway, pretty funny it only took page 2 for the "Soccer is too cheap for refined America ;)".

I guess they forget that first-world countries with a better standard of living than the USA (yes, many exist) actually have soccer as their main sport.

I must admit, the more exposed I am to this soccer thing, the more I'm starting to hate it. It's god awfully boring. Sorry.

If you never played or were interested in soccer to begin with, you're obviously not going to enjoy watching it. I could go around posting in every Superbowl thread telling everyone how boring american football is, but I don't because I realize I'm not the center of the universe and other people might find it fun.

Now that that's out of the way, football [soccer] is the #1 most popular sport in the world, hands down. It's the one sport that actually unifies the entire world.

Because it's one of the few activities that underfed and anemic children can participate in where physical strength is not a determining factor.

Because it's one of the few activities that underfed and anemic children can participate in where physical strength is not a determining factor.

Um, strength itself may not be a [definitive] determining factor, but any child that's underfed and anemic can pass an american football or basketball around to other children. same applies to every sport out there.

but to actually play the game, you do need strength, endurance, and precision, almost to the point where it's ridiculous.

you try running around for at least 45 minutes non stop across a huge field, where you have
to jump a lot... and that's just for the 1st half.

football soccer may be one of the easiest sports to pick up, but it's certainly not the least physically demanding one, by a long shot

Just like I can claim that obese people can play American Football and Baseball just fine, right?

Whether you like it or not, soccer is the most physically demanding sport.

We have a soccer team :confused:

Oh ICOM, what a waste. The US is ranked 14th in the world. That is an awsome ranking for a country that does not give a hoot.

That is why I always cheer for the US, all that talent and effort going to waste.

BTW, I am not an American, I am Canadian so I cheer for NA as a second choice.:p

Just like I can claim that obese people can play American Football and Baseball just fine, right?

What about that one where you put your hands into the gloves with bullet ants in? And people die and stuff. OR fighting to the death with bats with nails in? Unfortunately the person who has too much time, so applied for some kind of sponsorship made this stupid list of stupid non-death sports for lameasses. It seems kind of scentific.

Here.

What the hell boxing!? thats for gurls that wear padded giant hands and pretend to fall over when it gets hard. But it still beat both soccer and football. But not including the ant one and the nail bat one makes me want to bring up that 1930's political party from Germany. Anyway all the ones on the list are BORING so you all lose.
Who's for a game of nail batty???

The only reason soccer (yes yes, football, whatever) is as popular as it is, is because it gives all the shitty countries with no GDP something to have national pride about. That's because it's cheap to play - all you need are 2 pairs of sticks and a ball.

What else does Nigeria have? Or Uganda? Nothing. They get to play on the world stage against more powerful countries.

People are saying they don't know when the game will end? Try watching basketball when the last two minutes of the game takes half an hour!

I will say the round robin games of the World Cup can get boring, especially the 0-0 ties. The should make 0-0 ties worth no points so that there will actually be incentive to score.

Demanding in terms of what?

I assume you're talking about VO2 max, which is a measure of how efficiently the body consumes oxygen at the cellular level. VO2 max among aerobic endurance athletes like soccer players is very high, but not the highest.

With exceptions, tri-athletes generally have the highest VO2 maxes in the world.

If you're not talking about VO2 max, good news! You're wrong there too.

The only reason soccer (yes yes, football, whatever) is as popular as it is, is because it gives all the shitty countries with no GDP something to have national pride about. That's because it's cheap to play - all you need are 2 pairs of sticks and a ball.

What else does Nigeria have? Or Uganda? Nothing. They get to play on the world stage against more powerful countries.

*rubs temples*

Ok. So you're really claiming football soccer is the cheapest to play... ok.

In terms of COST, playing soccer is no more cheaper than american football. you need a pigskin, and... oh, that's it.

what's all this GDP bullshit you're talking about? What does that have to do with sports? Man, if you want to talk about riches, I doubt the US is the country you want to talk about, what with all the debt and all, and how it's going to shit pretty soon if not already. but that has no relevance at all, that's just you finding a pathetic excuse to put down football soccer.

Call it boring, call it the poor man's sport, but the fact remains that of all sports COMBINED, football soccer is hands down the most enjoyed, the most popular, and probably the most money-making sport of all in terms of raw revenue because of how gigantic it is.

Internet use in South Africa at record high from 0 people to 2 people! That's a whooping 200% increase in use! Quick, put a cap on the bandwidth!

2/0 => 200% increase?

oh ****, then that means africa just divided by 0...

I have to watch soccer games on mute because of the annoying bee-like buzzing that goes on THE ENTIRE TIME. I have no idea what it is, but it's annoying enough to make me mute the TV.

I have to watch soccer games on mute because of the annoying bee-like buzzing that goes on THE ENTIRE TIME. I have no idea what it is, but it's annoying enough to make me mute the TV.

They are horns called vuvezelas :mad: and don't worry they are not the norm at football matches and are almost universally detested. They may yet be banned such is the loathing that the majority of the audience for this event has for that goddamn noise, I've actually adjusted the EQ on my TV to lessen the drone:

http://twitpic.com/1vwlun

In terms of COST, playing soccer is no more cheaper than american football. you need a pigskin, and... oh, that's it.

Ummm... the last time I checked, you need a helmet, mouthpiece, shoulder pads (for every position), 2 hip pads, 2 thigh pads, a tailbone pad, and the girdle for them to fit into. Per player. A lot of schools in the US can't even afford football programs because the budget isn't big enough.

Look, I'm not saying the athletes aren't great. I'm not even saying the sport is boring. I'm just saying it's so popular because even that little kid in the Republic of Congo, in spite of how poor his country is, is able to go out back and kick the ball with his friends, dreaming about how one day he'll be playing Spain or Germany in the finals of the World Cup.

Ummm... the last time I checked, you need a helmet, mouthpiece, shoulder pads (for every position), 2 hip pads, 2 thigh pads, a tailbone pad, and the girdle for them to fit into. Per player. A lot of schools in the US can't even afford football programs because the budget isn't big enough.

I know what you're saying, but you're looking at the proper gear needed -- for football soccer you also need to buy a bunch of gear, for each player.

kids can all play american football with nothing but the ball, just like how kids can also play soccer with nothing but the ball. I'm talking about raw cost to actually enable you to play the game, regardless of level.

I know what you're saying, but you're looking at the proper gear needed -- for football soccer you also need to buy a bunch of gear, for each player.

kids can all play american football with nothing but the ball, just like how kids can also play soccer with nothing but the ball. I'm talking about raw cost to actually enable you to play the game, regardless of level.

See that's just not true though. I understand you're talking about 2-hand touch, but believe it or not, it doesn't translate into pads. Playing with pads is a completely different game.

Kids start now literally at the age of 7-8 years old playing football - public and private school programs providing all the equipment necessary for them to play full contact football. Frankly, I think it's insane, but parents will do ANYTHING to give their kids an edge to play at the next level. Playing 2-hand touch simply does not translate into gearing up into pads and learning how to tackle, block, throw, and catch. You'd be amazed how much shoulder pads limit your range of motion to do those things. Everyone acts like if we threw Usain Bolt into a game he'd be a superstar, when in reality there are things you have to learn from a lifetime of playing with pads on.

The point is that soccer doesn't require that equipment. It just doesn't. You would need 2 goals, a ball, and cleats. The "wealthy" schools in Nigeria could maybe get their kids some knee pads and cool jerseys.

I typed in "Nigeria Soccer" on youtube and found this video of 2 teams playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NephQWJwk4o
Looks like all they needed were red/white shirts, cleats, a ball... and ironically an American football field.

What do you not get?

To play the sport properly both sports require money, to play both sports outside of an organization, both sports require only a field and ball. I mean im sure when you went to go play with your friends, you went in full pads right?

This argument that more people play it because it cost less is bullshit. Every nation chooses to play the sport that the country is most proud of. Its funny how people behave as if American football is the best, but yet no other countries give 2 shits about it. European NFL? How is that doing?

1. FIFA
2. FIBA
3. New Baseball world series committee

I would put racing up there but there are some many leagues its hard to say which is more famous.

Uh, I don't know where you're getting at with " 'Merican" and "Canajan", but alright. The point of it isn't that there's several ways to score, but that the scoring system itself is over hyped. It goes through said goal once, but yet you're able to get 3, or 6, or 1 point. That's why the numbers look much greater in the end, which gives you an illusion of more action and awesomeness.
You forgot 2 points for a convert. 6, 3, 2, 1. That granularity reflects the relative difficulty in scoring. You don't get that in soccer. Regular play goals, corner kicks, direct free kicks, indirect free kicks... all count for the same amount. As wiki tells us, "In practice, penalties are converted to goals more often than not, even against world class goalkeepers. This means that penalty awards are often decisive, especially in low-scoring games." Power plays and even penalty shots in hockey aren't nearly so one-sided.

So 90 minutes of essentially really slow tennis can come down to who has the most convincing dive. I hate it that really great mid-field dekes and flashy over-the-head kicks usually amount to nothing. If it's not offside, the goalkeeper picks up the ball and throws/kicks it halfway down the field. Again.

The "illusion of more action" in American Football (e.g. NFL) and Canadian Football (CFL) [happy?] and Australian rules football, and rugby comes from, you know, actual physical contact. I don't watch it much, but when you see it live, you feel the crunch.

Indeed. This is why it's such a beautiful sport -- anyone and everyone can play it. It's a sport that's transcended time, and it's never stopped being fun.
Transcended...? :rolleyes: If memory serves, baseball is older than soccer. Oh I'm sure you can find evidence of people kicking spheres around before they started whacking things (and each other) with sticks for fun, but c'mon. (Hmm, maybe it's the insistence the sport has an ineffable quality that really pisses me off.)

Really? You're gonna bring the political and national card into this? That's just retarded. It's a world event, people who originally lived in country A will now be living in country X. Nothing wrong with supporting your team -- it'd be like me complaining about the Steelers fans that live in Nevada. Also, if you want to come across like an ass by spelling words in a weird way then at least get it right bro: it's Futbol.
"Weird?" Your One World Event cred is kind of suspect now... bro. If it's possible to bring this thread back on topic, I imagine a lot of international folks are getting World Cup information on their cell phones using their own languages.

Google:
Futball
About 4,620,000 results (0.33 seconds)

Futbal
About 5,930,000 results (0.23 seconds)
Did you mean: futball

Futbol
About 62,500,000 results (0.25 seconds)

Yeah, I'm bringing the nationality card into this, because it sure sounds like that's what it is. And by sounds I mean car horns. Every four years. And then blissful silence.

Otherwise, I would see international play or Arsenal vs. Man United on the tube more often than... never.

You don't find Steelers fans in Nevada annoying? I find them annoying on Facebook. :D

There are more FIFA member countries (even if you count England+Wales+Scotland+Northern Ireland as one) than UN member countries. Quite obvious when you look at Brazil's group in the World Cup: Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast and...North Korea.

The story of North Korea's qualification is a good one too. Iran had to draw or lose their last match, AND North Korea had to win their last match. North Korea won, and Iran drew their last qualifying match...with South Korea.

Unfortunately I can't. Over 90 million Americans play soccer as a sport.

Traditional US only sports are no longer the only game in the USA. So dont be surprised if the bandwitdh used is in large part comming from the USA.

BTW, I totally understand if you dont like soccer, I mean to each is own, but to say that Americans dont like soccer is just inacurrate.

I think you may have your numbers way off. Over 90million would be close to 1/3 of the US population. The largest participation of people actually playing soccer comes from kids aged 5-18 and that number is around 10 million.

As for the other sports such as the "big 4," they still dominate the US in terms of viewership .

Maybe. Maybe not. And that also depends on what position in soccer. I've also heard people make arguments about other sports being the most physically demanding.

I would argue swimmers would have to be the most in-shape athletes. There's just no room for compromise there. (Ironman, sure, but you can fudge a little if you're good on the bike. I'm not the first to say it, but they should put the swim last. :D)

Well they're all up there: swimmers, cyclists, marathon runners, etc. You'd actually be surprised, some of the highest VO2 max values have been recorded by cross-country skiiers.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/vo2max.htm - a list of the highest VO2 max values recorded.

An important note: An athlete's success is not necessarily how high his/her VO2 max is, but how high they can sustain a particular percentage of that VO2 max.

Annnnnd we've pretty much derailed this thread. >_<

Well they're all up there: swimmers, cyclists, marathon runners, etc. You'd actually be surprised, some of the highest VO2 max values have been recorded by cross-country skiiers.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/vo2max.htm - a list of the highest VO2 max values recorded.

An important note: An athlete's success is not necessarily how high his/her VO2 max is, but how high they can sustain a particular percentage of that VO2 max.

Annnnnd we've pretty much derailed this thread. >_<

Nah you didn't. I'm sure VO2 has something to do with internet usage. We'll just have to find it.

So 90 minutes of essentially really slow tennis can come down to who has the most convincing dive.

No fan ever likes the divers -- we all pretty much agree that's just a bullshit move, but that's not nearly always the case. Have you ever been tripped when you're running that fast? a lot of those times if they go all over the place it's because that's just how it is. you can't stop yourself and the grass actually makes you slide more.

If memory serves, baseball is older than soccer. Oh I'm sure you can find evidence of people kicking spheres around before they started whacking things (and each other) with sticks for fun, but c'mon. (Hmm, maybe it's the insistence the sport has an ineffable quality that really pisses me off.)

Soccer's quality can't be question, just as the quality of any other sport. As for which sport is older - there's a small gap between soccer (soccer as in, to actually play the game in it's earliest form rather than some old artifacts being kicked around) and baseball, with soccer being older. The Aztecs played soccer (again, in its earliest form) and there's records of Egyptians playing some form of baseball.

"Weird?" Your One World Event cred is kind of suspect now... bro. If it's possible to bring this thread back on topic, I imagine a lot of international folks are getting World Cup information on their cell phones using their own languages.

Google:
Futball
About 4,620,000 results (0.33 seconds)

Futbal
About 5,930,000 results (0.23 seconds)
Did you mean: futball

Futbol
About 62,500,000 results (0.25 seconds)

That just looks like people who mispell the word rather than people actually officially spelling like that.

- in England and all english-speaking countries : Football
- in France : Football (same pronounciation)
- in Spain : Futbol
- in Brazil/Portugal : Futebol
- in Italy : Calcio (also means Serie A, italian 1st division league)
- in Germany/Austria : Fussball

So there you have it. You just tried to come off as a smartass and condescending person, even going as far as spelling different countries and the sport just to further your mocking. That kind of crap doesn't fly, man.

I *will* agree that a lot of fans can be overly loud and obnoxious, howeve

A competition that actually involves the whole world.

Oh.. the olympics. I get it.
Do you know what my favorite part of the world cup is? You make one or 2 derogatory comments about the world cup and all the fanatics think its their duty and quest in life to educate the non-believers. I have seen religious nuts get less riled up if you were to tell them that God doesn't exist to their face.

These soccer lovers take an insult so personally its laughable.

Yes this is essentially trolling I guess, but cut me some slack, I only do this once every 4 years... and I won't do it again, I promise, because I really don't mean any offense.

I just don't appreciate when people ask if I watched "the game" last night, I tell them no and they look at you like you have completely offended them. Then they immediatly go into a whole routine about why you should watch it. Hello, I don't like soccer. No offence, go be excited about it with someone else, your little diatribe isn't going to convert me. Just the way it is...

One last piece of food for thought. Just because something is popular, doesn't make it good. Look at the top 100 billboard charts for music - there's not much good on that, but it is the most popular.

PS, I watched about 2 minutes before I had to change the channel from that damn horn.

PS, I watched about 2 minutes before I had to change the channel from that damn horn.

I think America should adapt 180dB airhorns as their fan instrument of choice. I'm not a fan of the game, but it's pretty obvious that SA's "instrument" is nothing but an annoyance. I'm sure drowning out the players and the coaches is great for the game. :rolleyes:

The Aztecs played soccer (again, in its earliest form) and there's records of Egyptians playing some form of baseball.

The Olmecs invented vulcanized rubber for their version of soccer, and predate Aztecs by several hundreds of years. ;)

Actually soccer began around the stone age, but after a bunch of broken toes due to kicking around a ball made of stone, it fell to the wayside.

Back