WTB connector chip on hard drive(pics)

Dudeyourlame

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, my friend has had this hard drive chilling never been used, and came with a broken SATA connector, and its way past RMA, dunno if it carries a warranty at all..

It's a Seagate Barracuda ES ST3250820NS
it has never been plugged into a computer, it came like this :rolleyes:

So heres what i need, probably no one has but, better to ask than not

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

too bad you can't find another broken one of the same model and revision, you could just swap PCBs...... dunno if Seagate will RMA that, it's physical damage...........

you might be able to find that entire connector block at Digikey or Mouser. Then the hard part would be desoldering the old one and putting the new one on.

Or... just talk to Seagate, I've heard of other people that broke the Sata connectors and seagate replaced it just fine.

Why would you try to solder something that has a 5yr warranty?

Why would you try to solder something that has a 5yr warranty?

The reason is perfectly clear if they don't cover the warranty under the "abuse" reason. Normally a connector that is broken and looks like that isn't considered a defect brought about by normal use. Whether or not it was abused Seagate doesn't really care, if it came like that then why wouldnt you take it back immediately and exchange it????

Call them and try it, it's not going to hurt. I'm certainly not against it, just pointing out that I've seen connectors similar to that on Digikey and Mouser.

Call Seagate on RMA first... although I wonder if they will do anything now that OP has opened the drive.

Those connectors are available at numerous electronics distributors. I can get you the part # for it if you need (not to mention a direct link to a supplier). Also, I solder stuff like that every day.

If it comes to it, I'd be willing to swap the connector for ya, if you sent everything over. I wouldn't charge. Heck, shipping both ways is bad enough!

Back