WTB / Looking for donations : DDR2 Laptop RAM and small 2.5" HDDs for the Army

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
OK, so as some on here know I've been in the Army for as long as I've been on these boards, maybe a bit longer, don't even know when I became [H]. Anyways, I'm no longer on active duty and I'm off enjoying the reserve side of the house. Problem is, there's absolutely no funding for anything in my new unit.

I've been put in a signal unit (TIN-E actually, only one of it's kind in the reserves, one of 3 in the whole Army) which has been given the single task of building and maintaining a installation size network. But since they have no funding the training we do is limited to what we have on hand. I've already scraped up help from some of the cable dogs and we've built some racks, gotten a bunch of cisco gear off ebay from our Chief for building training networks, and even had another bravo donate 2 24 core servers for us. Myself, I built the racks and just bought a lot of dell e6500's to use as terminals and client machines for our simulations, but all 6 of them are missing HDD's and DDR2 Ram. I already bought the caddys but I've just about tapped out my 500 budget for giving away hardware so I'd like to ask yall for help. I'm not looking for anything amazing, all old stuff, but figured my money may go further here. If people are looking to just get rid of things I'd be happy to pay the shipping.

Anyways, here's what I'm looking for, give me your best offer with shipping to 44714.

Small Laptop HDDs PENDING - I should have enough, just waiting on the last to come in

2GB sticks DDR2 Laptop Ram PENDING - I should have enough, just waiting on the last to come in

Stuff confirmed on the way so far:
1x SSD for the acting field server/client box
6x HDDs for the client boxes
12x 2GB DDR2 SoDIMM sticks of RAM
An extra firewall just for training uses

A HUGE thank you to everyone that donated or offered me good prices so far, you guys are awesome!
I do paypal, been trading here for years, info is in sig. Let me know what you guys have and what you want from it, thanks!

-UPDATE!!-

Due to the first round of this thread resulting in about 60% donations the first time around I'd like to just put a little update. With the money I've saved here it just seems right to get a better and more powerful "acting server" machine, so I got a 6420 with a Sandy Bridge i7 (8 threads ) and also got 16 gigs of ram for that unit. The SSD will go in there (donated, thanks!) instead of one of the e6500's. I also spent 12 bucks and got a much faster CPU for the e6500. I'll test it in one, if there's a big diff then I'd chip in enough to upgrade every laptop to a T9600/T9900, but that will be funded by me selling stuff on ebay

-UPDATE 2!!-
WOW, you guys have actually gotten me all the way there I think! Jut waiting now but I've got plans in place and paid for all the parts I need now and still had a few bucks left over so I went off and bought a 10 mouse lot of dell optical mice as well as a bunch of canvas pen holders (perfect size for the power bricks and a mouse) so each unit gets its own brick and mouse in its own case, should help keep the cords all nice. With the great deals yall have gotten me I've got the lab to this level so far (once all parts come in):

2x Dell 24 thread servers (donated by my partner, he got them from his company when they upgraded, ram and HDD's were purchased by my Chief)
A slew of Cisco 24-48 port switches with 2 routers and even a UC520 for screwing around with VOIP
2x 20U custom split level racks I built so we can split up our training to 2 separate locations, gives our cable dogs a chance to stretch their legs
2x (planning 6) mock up walls with surface mount and recessed mounting options for 4 separate cabling configurations, again for the limas

and now thanks to yall I've got 6x client boxes, E6500's with 2.4Ghz Core2's & 4GB of ram

as well as an E6420 with a 3.3Ghz i7 2720 and 16GB of ram with a 256GB SSD (thanks atp1916!!) and a second caddy with a 500GB backup in there, that will be the acting server and my command and control unit while in the classroom and then we can break out the racks for the larger exercises

I also picked up a dozen 8GB flash drives which I have diff OS's loaded on as well as a 1TB external I've donated that I'm keeping all my images on so we can reset quick and not really care about if they mess up the OS, as well as mice and some other goodies

My partner's going to be donating some more but he's getting out in 2 months so it's pretty much up to me and my Chief, and we've been able to scrounge up a damn good training lab I think in my opinion, and believe it or not I've gotten all these laptops (and built the racks) for under 700 so far, in large part thanks to you guys for being awesome!

Once I get the final parts actually here at my place I'll close the thread but for now I think I'm good guys, thanks A TON!!!!

Last edited:
I can likely provide all the laptop HDDs (not the SSD). Let me check and see how many I have at home, but I'll give ya whatever I got.

No cost, just thanks for your service I really appreciate what you guys do.

I'll send ya a PM around 6:00PM Eastern when I get home.

I have a set of ddr2 one 2gb and one 1gb stick of samsung ram that came out of gateway laptop. LMK

I'll throw down on the big SSD for you free of charge if you still need it.

I also happen to have a couple smaller 60GB SSDs that really are if no value to me, so I wouldn't mind sending those off to you for free if you need those too.

LMK. Don't worry about the shipping, got you covered there too. :)

Bump. May have some ram for you too, will have to check though (can't remember if it's DDR3 or DDR2).

VERY awesome what you are doing for your unit. Thanks for all you great guys and gals give for our country!

OK, not sure what to do here, you guys are way too awesome lol, not used to people being this nice

It seems I've gotten the hard drives all accounted for I think, all seem to be donations just waiting on confirmation and then I will update the original post. May even have an in on the SSD, which was more just an idea then anything but now I can actually run with it!

I've also gotten I think 2-3 sticks of RAM donated and I've bought another two (one from the thread linked above me) so far, which puts me almost halfway to the 12 stick goal

Seriously, you guys are awesome. I just have to say it tho, please let me give yall some bucks back for shipping or what not, and if you're just looking to sell that's ok, I've still got about 70 of the original 90 left over still, and after seeing how outpouring you guys are I wouldn't mind chipping in a few bucks more out of pocket just to say thanks to you guys!

Still got about 50 bucks left, looking to buy some more 2 Gig sticks of DDR2 Laptop RAM, looking for about 6 more still! Thanks!

bump, still looking for 3 more sticks, maybe 4 but im gonna just look for 3 for now! Thanks again to all those that have given me some good deals and the donors too!!

Just looking for one more 2GB stick, who wants to sell one??!!

Hdd supply didn't work out, still need to acquire 6 laptop hdds

I'll cover the drives. I can send out 6x 320GB drives I got laying around. That good? I'll send some DDR2 as well.

PM me.

Vaulter,
See if Warrior can square you away here first, but I just did dig up 2x2GB DDR2 + some 250GB 2.5" HDDs that would go your way free of charge if needed.

Keep this thread updated :cool:

Back