WTB looking for old pentium2/3 slot 1 Alpha heatsink!!

Wow... still looking for it.... crazy.

In any case, I had an Alpha Slot-A cooler back in the day... sounded like a vacuum cleaner on steroids.. or maybe meth.

A few years ago I got some Slot-A setups that were being thrown out. Instead of using the super-crappy old style coolers I decided to mod a stock S939 Opteron low profile heatpipe cooler to mount on the heatspreader plate on one of those CPUs. It is super quiet and keeps the CPU super cool.

After doing that, I came to the conclusion that those old hunk of metal coolers were trash. Thin-fin and heatpipes is where it is at.

Wow... still looking for it.... crazy.

In any case, I had an Alpha Slot-A cooler back in the day... sounded like a vacuum cleaner on steroids.. or maybe meth.

A few years ago I got some Slot-A setups that were being thrown out. Instead of using the super-crappy old style coolers I decided to mod a stock S939 Opteron low profile heatpipe cooler to mount on the heatspreader plate on one of those CPUs. It is super quiet and keeps the CPU super cool.

After doing that, I came to the conclusion that those old hunk of metal coolers were trash. Thin-fin and heatpipes is where it is at.

Roger that.. want it for nostalgia since I had one back when.. yes it was super loud! Lol

If I was interested in efficiency I'd slap a water block on it.

Good idea on that heatsink though.

Sucks as I have everything from back when.. dont have that heatsink as I cut it up to make my own GPU cooler back when. :/

Still have the loud fans for it though haha.

I don't remember what I did with those fans... I think I cut the heatsink up in an i'll conceived attempt at making a custom waterblock or something like that.

I had one of those with a thick copper and the pins for fins cooler as well. I know for a fact that I sent that to the scrap metal yard when I was clearing out stuff probably 15 years ago. Got good reviews but it was a steaming pile of poo in real life.

Free bump. Have you thought about checking old hardware/gamer sites like Vogons for this gear?

vogons.org is mostly centered around running old games (the acronym is a nod to Douglas Adams, but also stands for Very Old Games On New Systems), and a lot of them maintain older PCs to that end. It's worth a shot.

A while back the YouTuber LGR had a special on a warehouse full of ancient hardware in Dallas, called Computer Reset. It turns out that it's like twenty minutes from my house - wish I'd known about it years earlier. Over the last year and change the place has been progressively cleaned up bit by bit to make it safe to enter and peruse its contents. At some point I will visit it; when I do, I'll keep my eyes peeled for Slot 1/Slot A coolers for you.

vogons.org is mostly centered around running old games (the acronym is a nod to Douglas Adams, but also stands for Very Old Games On New Systems), and a lot of them maintain older PCs to that end. It's worth a shot.

A while back the YouTuber LGR had a special on a warehouse full of ancient hardware in Dallas, called Computer Reset. It turns out that it's like twenty minutes from my house - wish I'd known about it years earlier. Over the last year and change the place has been progressively cleaned up bit by bit to make it safe to enter and peruse its contents. At some point I will visit it; when I do, I'll keep my eyes peeled for Slot 1/Slot A coolers for you.

Wow.. just got back from our vacation. Be sweet to go there! Lol.

Wish their was a place like that in Michigan.

Yeah definitely let me know if ya find a used or new Alpha slot 1 heatsink. ;)

Alphapackage.jpg

That's the one with all the parts.

I remain surprised they were able to get away with using the name "3DFX Cool" if they weren't officially licensed by 3Dfx...

Back