X-Fi Xtreme Music (hardware EMU20K1) $55.99 FS

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
Cheapest price around for a hardware based X-Fi card. These cards were discontinued and replaced with the Xtreme Gamer card, however they all use the same driver and all "real" X-Fi have the same EMU20K1 chip. Note that the X-Fi Xtreme Audio can be found for cheaper, however its little more than Creative drivers doing software emulation.

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=SCCRESBXFSB0460&eq=&Tp=

Honestly I never heard of AscendTech before, however I manage to screw up my payment information, a real person picked up the phone and fixed my order, so thats a decent sign :p

That is the deal that got me looking elsewhere, I was trying to avoid a rebate and those headphones are not likely something I could use. Not sure I would ever notice the difference in DAC quality :)

You would with great speakers like the Klipsch 2.1's. If your speakers are crap, don't even bother with X-Fi.....

I may be wrong but... after doing some searching isn't the SB0670 here nearly the exact same thing as the xtreme music. the only difference being that one has the pins so you can connect it to a front bay piece.

If there is any other difference that would make this card superior could someone fill me in

The Geeks is an HP card and apparently the software suite does not work with it.

I may be wrong but... after doing some searching isn't the SB0670 here nearly the exact same thing as the xtreme music. the only difference being that one has the pins so you can connect it to a front bay piece.

If there is any other difference that would make this card superior could someone fill me in

This card can uses the normal Creative drivers and software. The Geeks.com card is an OEM HP card, and not exactly everything is enabled if you just try the drivers from the Creative website. There are some tricks and such to get the Creative software more enabled though. Creative is known for bad drivers and software, so this card is an option for playing it safe and giving yourself less headaches.

After factoring in the shipping, its only $14 more for this.

I called last wk and they said it is oem - so you may be taking chances with an hp card...

I called last wk and they said it is oem - so you may be taking chances with an hp card...

Part numbers are different. The card in the deal is a SB0460, the HP OEM card is a SB0670. If you end up with an HP card they are sending out the wrong parts.

On a $10 pair of Creative SBS speakers, will I notice a difference between this and an Audigy LS?

Looking at your setup, the LS is certainly the oddball. Upgrade to X-Fi and Klipsch and be prepared for an incredible experience <$200.

Looking at your setup, the LS is certainly the oddball. Upgrade to X-Fi and Klipsch and be prepared for an incredible experience <$200.

To be honest, I'm not really an audiophile and would only want the card. Is it worth buying if I keep the crappy speakers?

FWIW, I had no problems in my last dealing with AscendTech. Bought this same card when it was 40 bucks (and am now looking to sell it, lol).

Back