x1900xt 512MB for $170, or x850xt pe for $20???

gorilla show

Limp Gawd
Here's what it has come down to: I want to wait a while to upgrade to DX 10 video cards (probably till about the time R600 rolls out). I currently have a 6800GT.

Do I get the x1900xt 512MB for $170?

OR

Do I get the x850xt pe for $20?

I can only choose one thing.

gorilla show said:
Here's what it has come down to: I want to wait a while to upgrade to DX 10 video cards (probably till about the time R600 rolls out). I currently have a 6800GT.

Do I get the x1900xt 512MB for $170?

OR

Do I get the x850xt pe for $20?

I can only choose one thing.

Where are you buying the cards from!??! :eek: :eek:

I have the X850 and enjoy all current games at 1024x768 at a mininum, playing HL2 and CS:S at 1280x1024 w/ AA and all goodies enabled.

I enjoy the card. I too am waiting for DX10 before upgrading again.

Spend the $150 on something else, or better yet, start saving for that DX10 card now ;-)

x1900xt 512mb as you will see a much bigger performance increase over your 6800gt :)

x1900xt, and plan on selling it later. Enjoy all that PC gaming has to offer at the moment, wait to see what R600 looks like and see how much GeForce 8 has dropped in price by then.

I upgraded to an x1900xtx (got in on a hot deal) from a 6800GT. Oblivion is the most demanding game, and the x1900xtx handles it admirably at 1680x1050. There is little need for anything greater at this point.

x850xt pe.

put 150 away, stash away ~100 bucks every month and then buy the latest and best ati dx10 card

Well for $20 out of you pocket I would get the X850, but you can easily make your part of the money back later if you get the X1900XT, probably more. :)

skip the first gen dx10 cards
they're bound to be bad

(eh I dunno :p)

Thank you all for the opinions :). It's a pretty tough decision, but i guess i really CAN'T make a bad choice for those prices. More opinions are very welcome :D

Cowboy420 said:
X850XTPE...I love mine and it will hold you over nicely for the $$$..

But will I see a reasonable difference from the 6800GT ??? If yes then I will probably stick with the PE. I've looked @ tomshardware's vga charts, but some of the results are very odd and some even contradictory :confused:

I'd get the X1900XT. It's considerably faster than an X850XT PE in the newest games.
When R600 rolls around, you should still be able to sell it for 75% of what you paid.

Stereophile said:
I'd get the X1900XT. It's considerably faster than an X850XT PE in the newest games.
When R600 rolls around, you should still be able to sell it for 75% of what you paid.

With the way prices are dropping now..you may not make that much back when you sell it.

ok, let me put it this way: I love both companies, so which ATI card (because I have never owned one and I've heard many good things), will get me through Crysis up until R600? My limit is $270.

I just thought that having $100 paid for me that these two cards were my best bets.

Re-sale is of minimal concern, as I already know who i will sell it to at about 60% of its initial cost :cool: .

gorilla show said:
Thank you all for the opinions :). It's a pretty tough decision, but i guess i really CAN'T make a bad choice for those prices. More opinions are very welcome :D

But will I see a reasonable difference from the 6800GT ??? If yes then I will probably stick with the PE. I've looked @ tomshardware's vga charts, but some of the results are very odd and some even contradictory :confused:
OK, I just noticed the 6800GT .......................

Get the X1900XT 512mb then. The X850xtpe will be a small step up from the 6800gt in performance and a step down in the features department.

defintely X1900XT, I should've read your OP slower :)

yea, i think im goin for the 1900xt. one more question, though:

As you may or may not have noticed, newegg open-box x1900xt's from sapphire come in what look to be different hardware revisions. The prices differ wildly, but are they all really the same, or is there one that i should/should not get :confused: ?

Back