X2 3800+ new higher overclock!!!

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, no matter what you think you know....if you are overclocking an AMD cpu, read Eclipse's sticky....:p

I found some tricks on my ram that got me a HUGE boost up from the previous 2.4ghz I was running....to a nice fat 2.6ghz....Prime torture test stable now for 20+ minutes...and counting...plus a few minutes worth of Far Cry...

...the stability testing goes on...where/what is the PWM sensor on this Abit AN8 SLI? That temp is beginning to bother me....

http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?image=primedx28cx.jpg (forgot to maximize the prime windows)

Yeah, Eclipse does know a thing or two....or three. Yeah, I'm going with three. :D

I honestly never read his guide. I just assumed it was good based on the things he and I discuss.

TheRapture said:
...the stability testing goes on...where/what is the PWM sensor on this Abit AN8 SLI? That temp is beginning to bother me....

OK, I hunted around a bit, the PWM temps on recent Abit boards are spec'ed to handle UP TO 120C !!!!!!

BUT, they reccomend that you keep it at or under 100c...the heatsinks at the top of the board by the heatpipe heatsink are where the PWM temps are taken, basically, the mosfets. To run cooler it depends on air from a cpu heatsink fan, when you water cool, you take that away...so it runs alot hotter than what you typically would see.

I think I will be adding a small quiet fan there to get some air on those heatsinks...seeing 75c temps on that itty bitty chip just trips me out.... :eek: :D

The good news is this bitch has been rock solid stable at 2.6ghz using 1.425v on the cpu....

serbiaNem said:
You're pushing it now.
i agree, keep it at 2 or 3 :D

rapture, on thing to keep in mind.. for cmos based circiutry (cpu, ram, pwm mosfets, chipset, ect), for every ~10c increase, the lifespan halfs. while it can do those temps, i would try to keep it down in the name of preserving the mobo's lifespan. do yourself a favor, and put a big 120mm fan over the ram, it should cool the entire area pretty well :cool:

update: I added a small 60mm fan I took from an old Pentium heatsink, I placed it right above the two mosfet heatsinks on the upper right corner of the Abit AN8 board...PWM temps dropped dramatically!!! Only 51c now, before it was insane hot like 75c or so....

My newly boosted cpu has passed all torture tests with flying colors...prime runs...folding....gaming....for 12+ hours with no errors or hitches...

My only mod is going to be a new 120mm radiator and maybe a slighty faster 12v pump soon....if I even do that...max load temps of 54c currently...and stable as a rock.

Cool.
Can you take a pic of how you mounted that fan? I've got an AN8 Ultra on its way and I'm worried that I'll have the heat problems that Kyle and Morry had on their review.

Abit temps are always off by at least 10C. I don't think I've ever had one report properly. The worst case I remember was ol' NF8 telling me I had my DTR 3200 running at 63C idle....on a triple-BIX. Wack it in the DFI, lo and behold, load hit the staggering high of 38C. Yay.

SilverMK3 said:
Cool.
Can you take a pic of how you mounted that fan? I've got an AN8 Ultra on its way and I'm worried that I'll have the heat problems that Kyle and Morry had on their review.

I see one thing real bad with that review....they used the 16 BIOS....that thing SUCKS....I could barely even get into windows with that BIOS...17 cured 99% of my issues...

Anyway, my new digicam is on the way, the old one died, no pics I can take. However, I used the small short screw from the same old Pentium heatsink fan mounting, the kind that screws between the heatsink fins, mounted the fan diagonally, and attached the upper corner to the topmost mosfest heatsink. It sits pretty much dead center over those two heatsinks.

(cf)Eclipse said:
put a big 120mm fan over the ram, it should cool the entire area pretty well :cool:

Quit telling people my super secret cooling tactics.

KingPing said:
I was just curious......is 52c a little hot for that cpu??

Not really. My water cooling system is TINY, very QUIET....and the cpu is rated for a T-Max of 67c....I am a long ways from that....I can get a 2c-3c drop in temps just by opening the front case door and allowing the front intake a bit more air. The radiator is enclosed inside the case. Not to mention Abit boards are notorious for over reporting temps....

The rig is 100% rock solid stable.....

Just following up with my results

A8NSLI-deluxe (1013 bios)

X2 3800+
ada3800daa5cd
ccbwe (I think, forgot to write it down before I installed the processor)

Box retail, from Fry's

2.4ghz out of the box, 240x10 @ default voltage.

Temp - 37ish Idle, 50ish load with a Zalman flower cooler.

2x1gig sticks, Twinx2048 c2 running a ram divider (333mhz setting), the ram is running at ddr400 speeds - 2,3,3,8 timings.

I can't seem to get 250mhz FSB again on this board ever since I installed the 1013 bios - I remember getting 250mhz FSB with 1011 or so I think......

All in all I'm pretty happy, the computer is way more responsive with the X2.

EekTheKat said:
Just following up with my results

I can't seem to get 250mhz FSB again on this board ever since I installed the 1013 bios - I remember getting 250mhz FSB with 1011 or so I think......

Played with your ram timings yet? That got me from 240 to 260.....

Yeah I tried it - no go at all.....I think all the little problems I've had with the Asus is starting to add up.

This asus board is starting to melt down.....think I might go DFI if I can find one locally, maybe I'll have better luck with that board than this ridiculous asus.

Back