Xbox controller for PC issue, HELP!

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
i use an xbox controller to play most of my single player pc games so I can play from my bed, but lately I've been getting a really weird issue. I first encountered it in the star citizen hanger module and now it just popped up out of nowhere in metro 2033. like literally after an hour of playing I passed a checkpoint and it got fucked up with no change in settings or anything.

what happens is that when I move the left stick, the view doesn't stop when I stop moving it. it continues past when I stop a little bit, meaning I am now aiming at air. then I have to move the stick back and it goes past again. and it's not something where you can just say "stop moving the stick earlier" because trying to shoot 10ft before where an enemy is is not really very viable either.

has anyone else encountered this issue or have any idea how to fix it? so far all I've done is restarted the game, but I am going to try uninstalling the xbox receiver software and reinstalling. not sure what else to do.

Only thing I can think is that you've worn out the controller and some sensor has failed on it.

So... have you tried a different gamepad?

well it had the issue in SC like a week ago, then was fine in metro today, then suddenly wasn't fine in metro today. I dont think it's worn out as I probably only have like 200 hours tops on it but i'll give another controller a shot to rule out the controller as the issue.

nope exact same issue with the other controller too. gonna try some other games.

Basic troubleshooting. Since you're already uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and are having the same problem in different games:

Try a different USB port (on the receiver).
Try a different PC (or an Xbox360).
Try a different controller.
Try disconnecting other USB peripherals (e.g. I had a bad keyboard that was causing a similar issue).

Last edited:
calibrate the controller

control panel->devices and printers-> right click on xbox 360 controller and choose game controller settings and then click properties. next click on the settings tab and then calibrate

calibrate the controller

control panel->devices and printers-> right click on xbox 360 controller and choose game controller settings and then click properties. next click on the settings tab and then calibrate

thank you! that may be what i need. i'll try that first when i get home.

Basic troubleshooting. Since you're already uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and are having the same problem in different games:

Try a different USB port (on the receiver).
Try a different PC (or an Xbox360).
Try a different controller.
Try disconnecting other USB peripherals (e.g. I had a bad keyboard that was causing a similar issue).

and if the calibration doesnt work, i will start trying all these. good thing i get off work early today to spend time with my family and dont have family! :)

Are you using an official Microsoft receiver or one of the Chinese knock offs?

i believe it is official. is there an easy way to tell? i have two receivers and i am fairly certain they are both genuine. they have both worked fine for years, one on my gaming rig and one on my htpc, although i only started using this one daily in the last few months. before that i only managed a couple hours of gaming a week if that.

one was amazon through seller TOTALCONSOLE just over 2 years ago so could have been this? the other one i got from best buy b&m about 1 or 1.5 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
calibrate the controller

This is exactly my first thought.

I have a wired 360 controller that I had to do this to a couple weeks ago to get it working right.

well calibration did absolutely nothing, so I am uninstalling the drivers now and going to try reinstalling. then I will try the other receiver if that doesn't work.

EDIT: well I uninstalled everything and restarted the computer, then plugged in the other receiver and reinstalled the drivers for the receiver and controller, and same issue. so I tried with my mouse, and have the same problem! it is ok in alan wake, just normal slow controller issue. it seems like it's only in metro where this happens. it is almost impossible to hit anything that is moving, and very difficult to hit even stationary targets. i just don't get why it only happens in metro and the SC hangar module.

Last edited:
Just a heads up I have 3 Chinese knock offs and they have been working for well over 2 years with no problems, just a FYI

Just a heads up I have 3 Chinese knock offs and they have been working for well over 2 years with no problems, just a FYI

yeah i don't think it's the controller since it happens when i use my mouse too. i think i am either getting some lag somewhere or else it was just always like this and i somehow didn't notice it the first 10 hours of the game. i am reinstalling th game now and i gonna start a new game once it installs and see if i notice it still. i am also going to try it on my other monitor to rule out some kind of display lag issue.

well calibration did absolutely nothing, so I am uninstalling the drivers now and going to try reinstalling. then I will try the other receiver if that doesn't work.

EDIT: well I uninstalled everything and restarted the computer, then plugged in the other receiver and reinstalled the drivers for the receiver and controller, and same issue. so I tried with my mouse, and have the same problem! it is ok in alan wake, just normal slow controller issue. it seems like it's only in metro where this happens. it is almost impossible to hit anything that is moving, and very difficult to hit even stationary targets. i just don't get why it only happens in metro and the SC hangar module.

what is your dead zone set to?

BTW I use the After-Glow 360 controller and the system thinks it is a genuine 360 controller...

Make sure you don't have another controller connected. I had a joystick that I forgot was connected and that was making my games go crazy when I tried to use my 360 controller.

what is your dead zone set to?

BTW I use the After-Glow 360 controller and the system thinks it is a genuine 360 controller...

what does that mean? how do I check it?

Make sure you don't have another controller connected. I had a joystick that I forgot was connected and that was making my games go crazy when I tried to use my 360 controller.

i don't. i only have the one, other than that it's just 2 keyboards.

just to reiterate, i don't think it's a controller issue any more, as i get the same thing (albeit not as bad) with my mouse. i think i may be getting input lag or display lag, or else this game just really sucks and i didn't notice it for the first 10 hours. i don't think the last one is very likely, though i only got to these little mutant dudes that run around super fast a few minutes ago so i haven't really had the need to aim quickly and accurately before now.

Every now an then mine will get wonky and can't seem to sync with the receiver randomly. I usually just move the receiver to a different USB port to fix it.

Every now an then mine will get wonky and can't seem to sync with the receiver randomly. I usually just move the receiver to a different USB port to fix it.

again, i have ruled out the controller/receiver because it happens even with my mouse.

i tried shutting off my gateway XHD3000 30" display and am on just my Dell 2007FP, and that fixed it. not sure why, but i was getting some kind of display latency issue from my 30" that i will now have to try to solve. anyone have any ideas for what might have caused this? I don't want to give up gaming on my 30" and switch to just my 20", that would suck. i guess i will make a thread in the display forum in a couple days if i cant figure anything out by then.

and thanks everyone for helping me work through this. :cool:

Back